Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low-buck Corvette Style Air Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Jul 11, 2013.

1. I'm going to be running a '64 327 in my truck and wanted a corvette style air cleaner to go with the valve covers I got. When I found out how much one cost I decided to try making my own.

Here's what I used for inspiration:

Attached Files:

2. I went to the pick and pull and found an air cleaner I liked the size/shape of. This one came from an 87 Dodge Dakota

Attached Files:

3. Then I cut the snorkel off the front of it and layed out my cuts in tape on what used to be the backside of the air cleaner. I used my dremel style tool to make the cuts and a round file to do the corners.

Attached Files:

4. Then I cut a piece of metal to fill in the hole where the snorkel used to be and tacked it in.

Attached Files:

5. Here is the final result after a little bondo and alot of sanding. I used a gloss aluminum paint to match the valve covers. The plan is to paint the intake orange with a chrome oil fill tube.

I painted some wire mesh black and epoxied it in behind the holes. I also welded a plate on the air cleaner lid to create a squared off mounting place for a 327 valve cover sticker.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  6. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Nice work ! THIS IS WHAT HOT RODDING IS ALL ABOUT !!!!!!!!

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

8. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Nice job. I have not seen an air cleaner like the one you copied, what year is that from ?

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I beleive its '64-'65 327/365, or '63 327/340

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

thats a great air cleaner---but i don't think its vette...

11. BobMcD

BobMcD

Nice work! Thanks for posting.

12. Bowie is right, it's 65 corvette. I went to a corvette site looking at the reproduction 60's air cleaners. When I saw this one I liked the look of it and it seemed to be the easiest to copy.

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice work regardless. In the spirit of hotrodding, have some inspiration, then develop a plan to make it your own and even better, while using limited funds....

14. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Yup, just like my 365 horse in the garage. Not used on the low-hp engines. DD