Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low 31 model A build (engine installation) ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31A-Bone, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 31A-Bone

31A-Bone
    from SO CAL

Hey guys,

This is my first post as a new member so hopefully its in the right spot, if not please feel free to correct me.

OK so, I'm currently building my 31 model A and am ready to install the motor and trans. let me paint a picture here. I built the frame out of 2x4 square tubing with a Z in the front and a high step in the rear. I'm running a BBC 454/ turbo 400 set up with a Chevy 10bolt rear end. Suspension is done and the body is mounted (no floor in the car). I'm running a Hurst style front motor mount with rubber cushions and the regular two bolt rubber mount on the trans.

OK so motor is hung floating in the frame rails on jacks. I looked at some posts for a few days and came up with this: my trans tail shaft (2° downward) sits a few inches lower than my pinion (2° upwards) draw a line through the two and they are on the same equal but opposite plain but a few inches lower/higher. (Hope this is making sence) from what I have read this should be fine as long as the driveshaft slope doesn't max out the u joints ( which it will definatly not).

So in the placement of the motor and trans what tips, tricks, warnings, things to watch for....etc...should I watch for? As it sits I'm:

making sure the carb/intake is level

Make sure the tail shaft/pinion are correct(according to what I posted above)

Make sure the tail shaft and pinion are in line left to right in the car

Making sure the oil pan is a bit higher than the lowest part on the frame rails

Making sure my motor is in the correct spot in the frame (spacing for radiator, pullys, distributor, steering)

Is there anything I'm forgetting or missing or that I'm doing wrong?

Everyones help, info, and time is very much appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. COOP

COOP

Sounds like you've covered about everything. The building of a rig like this is a learning process. I'm almost 70, and still learning. ( some things leaning again). Not to sound negative, but using the Hurst mount and the tailshaft mount is putting a lot of stress on the aluminum trans housing. I can't say I've seen one break off, but a friend of mines 350 turbo cracked. I'm in the process of pulling the automatic trans off a vortek and putting on a 5 speed. I was going to use the Hurst mount along with a '57 chevy bellhousing. ( with mounts) When I ran into a starter problem I used a standard aluminum bellhousing. ( no mounts) So I guess I'm gonna scrap the Hurst mount and use side mounts on the engine. I hate to do this because I love the look of the Hurst mount. ( kinda period correct) However, I plan on thrashing this one so I want things to stay where they belong. It seems like you've done your homework and should have a good build. Like I said, I don't wanna sound like I'm rainin' on your parade, but I thought you should know. Good luck......... Norm. (by the way, I love the look of your coupe.... kinda east coast, mid 50's)

3. 31A-Bone

31A-Bone
    from SO CAL

Thanks for the advice Norm, and don't worry information in any form is good because its meant to inform one of looming disaster Ha!!

I have seen on other posts (hamb) that same bell housing cracks issue. They make "mid mounts" that bolt between the block and bell housing that help alleviate that problem, so I'm debating using those or not...I also have a buddy that runs the Hurst mount and tail trans mount only on a few cars with no issue....not sure about that yet but if I do decide to use them its a easy addition once the motor is fully installed...

Thanks for the advice that's why I came to the hamb, and good luck with your build aswell maybe you could add some "mid mounts" and keep the Hurst mount if you wanted...?

I've heard that east coast comment before..haha....but I will chop the top a few inches once its up and running.