Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Love the truck .. but the color????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jesse Brody, May 31, 2018.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Black will look good but will be expensive.

Keeping it like it is won't cost you a dime. :)

Maybe switch the upper color (and the firewall?) to a creamy white so the truck looks a little more authentic late '50s. I like it, but I agree with you, it needs something.

[​IMG]

a boner and Stogy like this.
  2. Nice truck. I'd drive it, until the neighbor's kids made fun of me.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm feeling like that tomato red clashes with the fuchsia and it's not a lot of real estate. You could mask that off, give it a scuff and paint over it OR you might even be able to rub it off. I think that red there is really disruptive and the whole paint job would change if you get rid of it.

That said, I am in the 'drive it around and enjoy it a while' camp. I think there's more fun to be had playing with your toys before you go taking them apart and you'll get a more refined feel for what you want to do.

I like the commercial light idea. That or 682-C's.

4. I like pewter and purple. I'd get rid of those hideous wheels & www.
    Put a set of Americans on it, and drive it! :rolleyes::D

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey to those who were on the Hotrod/Custom scene in the mid sixties wasn't the Rasby/Pinkish stuff a done deal?

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That was my thoughts too. WWW's are fine on cars but look out of place on trucks to me. Thinking a 5 spoke wheel would look better, too.

zzford and Montana1 like this.
  7. Jesse Brody

Jesse Brody
    from Miami Fl

Im thinking a repaint is out of the question. Solid color will satisfy me for the next few year as I start addressing all the small things I dont like. I was also thinking about highlighting the orange strip, bead work on the bed and embossed ford logo on the tail gate in white or black. Also some one rhino lined a section of the running boards which I dont like but it is useful. Did ford ever have a aluminum step for the running boards like the chevys did?

8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Take the dog for a ride and drive it like you stole it. You can always paint it later, enjoy it now.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you figure out how to get the passengers side door open??????

-Abone.

Gotgas likes this.
  10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the big commercial headlights on mine. They are not for everybody, but I dig em. Your paint doesn't bother me, but yes, you see a lot of that in S. Carolina.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

11. oldolds

oldolds

Drive it like it is for 5 years. Then get it painted. It will be like getting a new truck all over again.

Chappy444 and MMM1693 like this.
  12. spanners

spanners

I'd ditch the wheels and white walls and the blingy spare. Sometimes you need a nice chrome rim with a decent bit of black tyre to tone things down. Possibly a cream or magenta strip instead of the orange.
    You know that if you blow it apart for a repaint, it'll still be apart in years to come when you could've been driving it.

13. I'd have to go with the solid maroon, or the solid silver, if funds are an issue.
    If funds aren't the issue Black is apparently your color so run with it.
    Nice pickup!

14. Repaint the hood and top (beltline up) black. When you're sitting behind the wheel, you'll look out and see your "black truck". :p :rolleyes:
    Alternatively, do the beltline up a deep, dark cherry like you're doubling down on the lower color. Both options don't involve major paintwork or cost. It's still a 2-tone but not quite the 2-tone it is now.
    The interior and dash color(s) may factor in your choices, also.

PONTNAK123 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just drive it; if you stay inside the cabin you won't notice the colour!

brad2v likes this.
  16. 1pickup

1pickup

You liked it enough to lay out the cash for it, so quit whining & drive it.

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If you can buy a finished Pre War Ford, you can have the thing painted.

18. Jesse Brody

Jesse Brody
    from Miami Fl

flamedabone I do like the headlights. Are those the 33-34 commercials?

19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Sorry bro but I gotta agree with your dog....

20. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^ THIS

21. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the black wheels look good with the maroon color. paint all the beige black to keep the costs down and to tone down the truck

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Personally, I'd paint the bottom to match the top! But that would cost nearly as much as just painting it the color you want. If you can swing it...paint it how you WANT it.

23. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

What happens if on the repaint you discover body work that you would rather improve upon. By the time you finish that repaint, you'll be too old to drive it.

brad2v likes this.
  24. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Paint the top to match the bottom. I agree with the lighting changes and loose the spare.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`d add hood sides.

X38 and 32fenderless like this.
  26. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

I personally think the wheel/tire sizing/treatment look pretty good.. its just w/the unagreeable color/colors the white wall stands out.. If you do go black I'd just change out the tires of the same make/size to blackwall.. but at the same time if you do decide black I think the white wall may blend better and be more apt to work.. so..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  27. oj

oj

I'd be driving until I figured out why 2 people sold it in 4 years.

AmishMike, brad2v, williebill and 3 others like this.
  28. indyjps

indyjps

Drive it all summer and see how you like it. If you still want to paint it, you can make any other changes while its apart.

Color is what it is, doesnt sound like your first choice, get the truck out someone else may fall in love with it. Loks like a very nice paint job.

29. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Given that painting is out of the question for now you'll probably fall out of love with it pretty darn quickly after a few 'nice pink truck' comments and it'll end up get parked up. Alternatively, you could decide on your changes, work on a color (photoshop) and consider having it wrapped. I on the other hand will be running for cover!