Register now to get rid of these ads!

louver press blueprints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheel shop, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Yeah Man...
    Show us what's up with that bike on the wall. Is that a big wheel unicycle???

2. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Here is a pic of my louver press. I was going to build the entire thing on my own. But, after pricing the tool steel for the dies and all of the related expenses, I found it cheaper and easier to use the Williams Low-Buck setup. I have been very pleased with it so far. It is all manual with no hydraulics. When I bought it, he told me that the frame had to be very strong.... he wasn't kidding. I've got about 60 feet of 1.5" by 3" tube in the frame and I still need to put a kicker to a beam in my garage to keep it from flexing. I felt for the DIYer that's not looking to spend a fortune, this is a good option.

-Mitch
    [​IMG]

3. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

thanks sunvalley54!!
    one day I'm going to make a louver press, and your base plans are exactly what I was looking for.

4. sunvalley54

sunvalley54
    Alliance Vendor

I had to remove the link as someone called worked and wanted the print. The prints are not free I was just helping out some HAMB members with the prints, but I got my ass chewed so I removed the link. Sorry guys hope a few of you got them.

- SunValley54

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I know this is an Old Thread But for anyone who is Interested Here is A Drawing of My Press Frame with Specs, Pay No attn to my Steel List, As If I was to build this Using Steel purchased New I would build it all using 4 X 4 X 3/8 wall square tube. But I Drew this Based on Steel that was Drops From a Steel Plant and basicly Given to me. I only Decided to use the 1/4 wall Because, This winter My buddy is Going to Shear 3/8 full length Gussets to Go in between the tubing. And I plan to cover the outside with louvered panels Anyhow......My Press Kit Is a Mitler Bro's And I have their Drawing, But I do not like their Design all that well. It is Just way too Big And basicly is just a big Square ......IMO anyhow. I also plan to add a Bolt on Axle and tongue and jack, So this will be towable If I ever would want to, ...Note I am posting this Drawing to help other hambers with ideas For building their Own louver press frame, Use info at your own risk and I am not responsible For any harm or Damage.

Attached Files:

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I still have the GTL blueprints

7. Koz

Koz

Nice frame there Cowtown. The concept would also work well with a wheel. For a small shop, perhaps a way to change the function to use the same frame for the English wheel, louver press, and a planishing hammer. The problem is usually just turnover time in a busy shop. Filed this one away for future use.

8. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

When we bought our Good Times press kit in the 80s from CA, it came with a set of blueprints that were actual size for all the pieces. I remember it unrolled out about 18' long! But you could cut the box tubing and lay it on the blueprint to ensure you had it right. Have to look and see if that cardboard tube is still around. 011.JPG

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I looked for the Mittler Bros. plans after your PM and couldn't find them. I'm sure they're in a box somewhere. But where I do not know. Your plans look good.

10. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Zman,
    Thanks for looking for me, I ended up stoping in Mitler Bro's On my way to St Louis Last week, They are great people, I explained That my Kit was bought from a salvage auction, And the plans were missing and they Gave me a copy, However after seeing it and realizing I Did Not want to have such a Massive Press frame in my shop, I kinda looked more at the Old Goodtimes design,...I think the Mitler Bro's Design is just way Overkill...And with the Cost of Steel these days, It would have cost about $800.00 for enough 4 x 4 3/8 wall tubing to build it. All these cost start to add up and a Guy needs to start really thinking about Investment Cost to Return ratio....LOL. Right Now with the steel I have for my frame and with what I payed for the press kit I have about $1260.00 total In my Louver Press. (which I am happy with considering the kit sells for $1700.00 by itself) I plan to power my press with My "JD-2 Squared" tubing bender Pump. I also have One of Dave Williams Low buck "Stan Betz style" Manual press. I wanted to Ask you If you used 3/8 wall or 1/4 wall tubing for your build? And if You have had any problems with Flex or stress breaks?

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

No sweat. I used 1/4 and wish I would have used 3/8. It did great until I went to louver an International hood. Not sure what gauge the hood is but the press just flexed and never punched. I ended up reinforcing it a bunch and all was good. Afterwards it punched lesser hoods even better too.

12. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

image.jpg I utilized some Simple I beam that I had out back and a Low Buck tools head. It has a 4' 6" throat and image.jpg works quite well with very little flex. It can punch 16g mild steel no problem. I primarily built it to do an insert that I had made.

13. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

One reason mitler says to use 3/8 wall is for the other dies shears and punches you can swap out on the press. Mine is the mitler ans I used all 3/8 wall material but on the 2 vertical pieces on the rear of the press are 4 x 6 instead of 4x4. Only reason I used it was the price was right when I was buying the steel surplus. I run mine off a 10,000 psi portopower pump with a foot switch. Works nice

14. Subscribed! on the list of things to do.

15. Am considering selling my louver press. Built from a Good Times Louver kit. Don't use it much and don't have time to do much outside work. Would be strictly ''cash'' sale.

16. Just found this post on here and in the process of building myself a Louvre press, any one that has the lowbuck setup disappointed with it? Iv noticed in some people's photos lots of distortion across the panel being louvred and in other people's photos not too bad distortion, the people with less distorted panels did they modify the lowbuck set up by adding a spring loaded foot or larger lower bed for the panel to sit on, otherwise I like the idea of the nice simple low buck set up
    Thanks
    Charlie

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Bringing up some good old threads lately.

crozch likes this.
  18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend of mine made a single press years ago by modifying a large arbour press. Another one does them in his Pullmax so he can vary the width of the louver across the panel, eg. single narrow louvers or rows of louvers to wide louvers aka 32 or 33 Ford