Register now to get rid of these ads!

Louver dies, where can I find ROUND style?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendettaautofab, Mar 23, 2009.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Looking for a source for a set of "round" louver dies, you know, the old style, that look RIGHT?

let me know and thanks in advance

2. Homemade44

Homemade44

You can make them yourself, not hard to do. What size do you want? I don't know of anyone that sell the old rounded style. What kind of louver press do you have?

Joe

3. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

It will be a shop made press... I have all the cylinders and such, just was going to get the dies and go from there. I was hoping there was a source for them, save me the time and hass of making them.

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

No one sells dies for the old style louvers any more..all the companies that sell the newer presses..mittler bros. ..lowbuck tools..they are all the flat edge style louvers. You have to have them made by a tool and die maker, make them yourself, or find a set laying around an old industrial fab shop or something like that. The dies in my press came from a place like that. You might be able to modify a set with a newer design...but it would be a real pain in the ass..and if you screwed up your out some serious money. The newer style louver dies are not cheap.

5. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Neil Dunder at www.gogitzit.com can make what you need. He just did a set of special Pullmax dies for me to do some Lincoln Zephyr louvers. He matched them perfectly, and the price is very reasonable. Hope this helps!

6. do you need somthing like this
    John's Picture Folders 017 (2).jpg

John's Picture Folders 016 (2).jpg

johnny

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm having some machined to fit the Mittler Bros. stuff

[​IMG]

Had to take matters into my own hands...
    These should work with my present bottom die.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On the subject of lakes style louvers, we have a shop in Hastings NE that has the proper style die to do the job. What is the going rate per hole for louvers. He gets 3.00. Seems a little steep to a farm boy. Just built hood sides for my deuce RPU and had dam near 200 louvers. OUCH!

9. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

The price is pretty normal...There is more to it than just punching away... You have a large chunk of equipment to pay for plus the tooling, and the risk of screwing something up.. fixing a bad louver is no fun...you have to take the time to lay it out etc...I think I should have my louver press paid for in 2020... Jason.

10. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

There's a guy in Springfield, OH punching em for 25 cents a louver, round or flat.

11. zman
    thats going to be a good looking louver.

my round 3" die fits the mittler press also, just swap out the upper die.

krylon32
    we get 1.00 a hole and no set up fee. but im thinking about going to 2.00 a hole.

johnny

12. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

????
    contact info??

13. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Hay, Check my web site. I show how to make the press and the round dies.
    Mike

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Keep the flat die, just change your audience. Make commercial AC housings and gym lockers!

sorry

15. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

You might want to talk to John Olay (sp?) up in Flint. He punches a lot of louvers and I think he has the dies to do the old style.

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm just a little on the conservative side with some things. 3.00 is probably ok considering he is close with no shipping etc, and he's always done a good job.