Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Louisville, going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyhotrod, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Boner

A Boner

Yikes! Still!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Phil, trust me they know exactly what the Fairgrounds looks like now and what it will look like Thursday. They've seen the pictures that have been posted on the HAMB that we've seen. The NSRA Chaplain Jim Rowlett was on the Louisville TV station WDRB a few days ago saying they were optimistic the event would take place. They are hoping the attendees and spectators ($19 a head) don't know what it will look like.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.
  3. A small group of us were posting our thoughts on the official NSRA thread.
    Last Thursday NSRA decided to remove any posts that weren't 100% pro 2020 Nationals positive.

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I believe you spelled N$RA incorrectly!!

5. This is getting more and more shocking. Does nsra really think they can survive luring rodders to a mud bog during a pandemic?

Phil

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

After seeing the grounds and the rest of the situation still going on in Louisville I’m more than content to stay home.
    We cancelled our rooms (held for next year) over a month ago.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wait... The NSRA has a chaplain? And he's promoting the event?

I genuinely dislike the NSRA. I'd use stronger words in person if the NSRA leaders were in front of me.

8. kb cookout

kb cookout

As a pre registered and out of state swap meet vendor ,

As of today 8/2/2020 NSRA has yet to contact us ( they have our email and phone numbers ) about what is going on with the fairground and what guide lines, rules , precautions to take with swap meet booths to keep us and the shoppers safe during the virus

Everyone stay safe and use common sense , Hope to see you all at a swap meet soon

later kb

pprather likes this.
  9. There is this thing called the sun. It's been known to dry things up. Especially when it has a full week to do its work in August. As far as what the main gate looks like I really dont care I'm focussing on looking at cars.

GreenMtnBoy and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. phat rat

phat rat

How do you figure a week. People start entering the grounds Wed. I bet the fairground powers that be won't allow cars on the possibly newly sodded area. I say possibly newly sodded because looking at the live feed it's just a muddy field this morning. A lot of people prefer that area over the paved areas so there are always many cars in the grass.
    KB I don't know if it's still the same but the swap at one time was run by some local club so maybe they would need to be the people to contact

11. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

Forecast shows rain Monday and Tuesday for Louisville. That "live" camera of the East grassy lot that is all mud does not look to be live, looks like the same passing traffic on I-65 in the background. Hopefully someone local can give an update.

12. I registered last year at the 50th for this years event .I received a nice letter this week from the NSRA telling me of all the steps they were taking to insure the safety and health of the participants in all aspects of the event. How they were confident with the steps taken for social distancing, food vendors, parking , etc. I won’t be attending.
    It would seem they are going forward with the event come ‘Hell or High Water’ and judging by the current situation- just might be a combination of both.

Graystoke likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Damn, it's always one of the best weeks to catch some cool rides going up I65 to break up the monotony of all the traffic I see daily up through there. Probably won't be many to see this year. Nothing better than seeing a old ride or maybe a bunch of buddies traveling together to go to a big show like that. Me, I've never been to a Nats in Louisville, or anywhere else for that matter, and I wasn't planning on this one either. I stay mostly within a 100 mile local area, but maybe after I retire I might venture out to one of these big shows just to say I've been to one. But not this year, too much BS going on. I'm not scared of catching the shit, I just don't like all the face masks and keeping apart and restrictions on restaurants and stuff.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

From what I see online looks like some of the grassy area is torn up because it will be getting paved.

15. Yeah, Brenda questioned their thought process and why they would be so irresponsible, her post was deleted, we all have to take responsibility of our actions and I pray that The NSRA's insistence that the show must go on doesn't result in anyone's health being compromised.

I am among the old members of the Hamb that are also members of the NSRA and have attended many of their shows over the years, it's obvious that many of us are just not willing to take a chance during a pandemic and some of are members seem confident that they will be Ok and don't have any concerns.

For the Hambers going please stay safe. HRP

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I got no problems with people going. I don't judge folks for their opinions on such things.. I mean, I'm no scientist... What basis would I have?

It's pretty obvious where my personal opinions lie given what I've done with my own events, but people should have a right to make their own decisions... obviously...

But, the NSRA cutting off communications, using a "chaplain" to promote the thing, etc... If that's all, in fact, true? That's some bullshit. It seems to me that if you are going to carry out an event in such conditions, it is more important than ever to be open and transparent with both planning and potential for failures.

I'm sort of amazed and oddly fascinated by all of this.

17. It seems that the intellectual side of the NSRA has been side stepped strictly for the monetary gains, spectator parking is 10 bucks, spectators 13 and older are charged 19 dollars.

At this point in time they are heavily invested in the event and using Jim Rowlett to put on a happy face is a last minute attempt with the news media, it is paramount to have the Chaplin reassure the public that everything is and will be safe.

I totally agree with Ryan about people making their own decision about attending the event but censoring the information or comment's they feel have painted them in a negative light is unconscionable. HRP

18. phat rat

phat rat

It's not just this year, publicity has been one of Jim Rowletts jobs for years. I first met him in 06 and he was already doing it then. He's just doing his normal routine

lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.
  19. I have been to these mask free shows since the virus was first reported. This is a partial list I must add.
    Pri show indy
    Drag expo chicago
    Autorama Detroit
    Out of site drags union grove
    Glory days byron Illinois
    Lannon wi car show
    S27th st classic cruise Milwaukee
    Gusses drive in east troy wi
    Georgie porgies drive in x 4
    Summit midwest drags at larry dixons shop indy
    Memorial day weekend union grove
    These shows had combined attendance in the hundreds of thousands. I dont think Louisville is somehow going to magically get me sick. It would have already happened. Forecast shows 78 degrees. Not too hot for a mask if you should feel more comfortable with one on.

GreenMtnBoy and Tman like this.
  20. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a problem with high spectator fees as that helps keep people out that don't appreciate the investment of time and money in the cars. Pretty sure the spectator parking costs go to the fairgrounds, just like the grounds and tent rental. Is money a factor? Of course, considering the huge costs of the fairgrounds for a week, so I understand the difficult decisions NSRA may be having, but do think the show should have been cancelled by this time for several reasons, health being number one, along with dwindling venders. I do look forward to next year for a great "normal" show.

40ragtopdown and 47ragtop like this.
  21. Many of you seem to gloss over the fact the NSRA is and has always been a privately owned company. It has never been some benevolent entity. There has never been much transparency in their actions.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Absolutely fascinating.

Edit: For those that are into science and numbers, I helped with some software development to report Covid numbers here in Austin. One of the members on this board actually developed a pretty cool database that uses some baselines to predict Covid positive numbers in a given area when you input the number of people at a gathering.

You can get pretty detailed predictions of the NSRA event... you just have to guesstimate the number of people in attendance and the database will spit out the number of people that will be covid positive based off the infection rates of the surrounding area.

You can get all kinds of crazy numbers... Anyway, you can check it out here:

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu

23. ............Key words right here.:rolleyes:

sidevalve8ba and uncleandy 65 like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

Where is lot C? Is this sort of the Southeast corner of the grounds? 3E680504-A4AA-4A36-8E4A-239DD7762DE0.png

25. kb cookout

kb cookout

It is on the right side when you enter the main gate and right next to the swap meet area

later kb

Attached Files:

A Boner and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. ......................x2..

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

The NSRA charges an entrance fee for all cars participating in one of their events along with a yearly NSRA membership fee. They then turn around and charge spectators to view the cars of those who have paid an entrance fee. Not to mention a swap meet space rental fee, a cut of proceeds derived from food vendors and a parts vendor space rental fee nd God knows what else. What a novel idea to make bags of money.

I'm just sorry I didn't think of this cash cow first.

28. ...could be your luck will run out?...maybe not,,,who knows?

29. Probably not

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Don’t forget that they receive a kickback from the hotels in the area. I’m not sure about present day, but back when I attend numerous events the only way to book a room was through NSRA. This and many other reasons is why GoodGuys was born. I was a NSRA state rep for about four years, I traveled to quite a few “Nationals” events all over the country, spent my vacation time judging cars and working for them. Not once did I receive any compensation or have my lodging costs reimbursed. (except when I traveled to Indy for divisional meetings, they provided the lodging) I guess I was young and foolish, although I was fortunate to have the opportunity to meet and become friends with some great people who I had only read about in car magazines.

jim snow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.