Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Loud" turn signal flashers,who makes them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Gunpilot

Gunpilot
    from Tennessee

Perhaps resolved but I'll toss in since I'm working this issue myself currently. I'm using an old universal Sears Allstate signal unit. It is designed to use a 3-prong flasher (X=power, L=load to signal lights, P=panel indicator light). I need the flasher to be loud also, and the best I've found to date is a Tridon (made in Nashville, TN) LF12. The problem is it only has a 2-prong terminal (X & L). This would be no issue since you can just hook the wire for the Panel indicator to the L terminal but in my case when I do this, the panel indicator light (on the Allstate unit) stays illuminated all the time. Yes it flashes when the turn signals are selected, but remains solid when I'm not turning when I'd otherwise prefer it to just be off. Anyway, just thought I'd share it with you, the Tridon LF12 electro mechanical flasher does give you the old school metallic dinka dinka sound when activated. I may tear into the three prong Tridon EL13 and see if I can modify it to sound like its sibling LF12.

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Get a large metal case flasher and the metal bracket it mounts in. Fasten the bracket to the bottom of a small steel can. mount the can under the dash with a metal screw or bolt with the open side of the can turned down.

kadillackid and Frankie47 like this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

JC whitney they have ones that are loud and ones that play music.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That beeper style from Chev's of the 40's sounds too much like a truck back up alarm. I'd think somebody was backing into me all the time! :D

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

hey you can have mine - sounds like a garbage truck backing up!!

6. I was looking for one myself!

Back in the day we could buy a clicker to add on to our motorcycles. It just plugged into the flasher socket in parallel with the flasher. I haven't seen any of them in 35 years.

So I got the idea to look under the dash of my old school bus and wa-lah! There was a loud buzzer. I harvested it and plugged it right in. Now I don't forget to turn them off!

Frankie47 likes this.
  7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I don't need a vocal flasher, my wife tells me if I don't turn my flasher off...........................

8. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Mine isn't the PM557 but it sounds the same, works for me.

9. gatz

gatz

you can have the one from our '11 Ford Edge.... I don't think it's even mechanical, but is so loud that it's annoying.

10. marfen

marfen
    from sask

I always liked the sound of the oem mopar flashers late 60s early 70s,

Truck64 and Frankie47 like this.
  11. desertdroog

desertdroog

My Aunt had a '71-'77 Mercury Comet (Maverick platform) that had a distinctive Dinka-Dinka-Dinka metallic sound. Similar to the #557 in the video posted in this topic.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

It's supposed to be annoying..lol.

13. 48ford

48ford

So how do you wire a buzzer in? Do you need two( one for each side)

14. Davyj

Davyj

15. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Subject still relevant.

The LL552 @ Autozone is a heavy, relay flasher but it is NOT a LOUD CLICKER. If anything, I would all it a QUIET CLICKER. This thing weighs 2-3x as much as a thermal unit.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I soldered a very small speaker to my directional signal flasher and tucked it up under the dash.
    Wrap it in cloth if it's still too loud. Use a speaker from an old phone, computer or any other voice producing electronic item.

goldmountain likes this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

Now that is a great idea. I was just about to throw out an old phone.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Understand the need (I guess) for backup alarms. But they are clearly audible for blocks around even inside your house. Obnoxious as hell. Technically speaking, they should have issued ear plugs to everybody too, because they exceed OSHA noise decibel standards.

Whatever they use for backup beepers - wire those damn things to your turn signals. Guaranteed you'll hear them!

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mines been telling me for years. I can’t hear shit and dot miss anything I mumble.

20. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I just ordered a beeper/flasher on amazon, it is mostly for a motorcycle, but has prongs just like a original type flasher. I'll let you guys know how it works, it was about 7.00. I hate being that guy who has been driving for a half hour with his blinker on!

Truck64 likes this.
  21. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

As mentioned before the metal flasher snapped into a spring steel saddle that was bolted up under the dash somewhere. They were always a pain to find.

22. A Boner

A Boner

Have a friend who claims he drove the entire length of Iowa on I-80, following a guy with his left turn signal flashing. Another possible customer?

23. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I got the beeper/flasher today. I first hooked it up and had it aimed at me under the dash, that was too loud, then I just let it hang from the wires as it was before, up under the dash, still too loud. So I put a pice of electrical tape over the hole and left it up under the dash. I think I will like it. Before the pice of tape it was so loud that probably other people waiting for a light would probably wonder where the truck wsa backing up!

24. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

ooops heres the pics, I hope.... IMG_3239.JPG IMG_3239.JPG IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3239.JPG IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3241.JPG

kadillackid and blowby like this.
  25. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Ok how did I do that? DOH!

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I just drive with my emergency flashers on, takes all the guesswork out.

Budget36 likes this.
  27. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

I could never deal with a beeper.

I just got the LL552 (as stated earlier) and am wondering what I can do to amplify it's sound. Right now it is hanging off the wires. It doesn't have a mounting tab. I might superglue a neodymium magnet to the can top and then stick it to a dash frame or maybe a tin can lid to see if it amplifies the existing click which is too quiet.

28. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I'm still trying to fabricate a no longer available turn signal cancel cam for my column. I've looked down to see my left blinker on.....for I dont know how many miles!

29. Retired NASCAR driver.