Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loud pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. you one of the few people that see it the way I do. I put myself in a position of safety before the person has the chance to make a mistake. I call if driving offensively, because I'm choosing the course before i reach them and i have a few different courses of action ready in my head of options depending on drivers actions

2. Maybe it different by region but you guys are confusing me
    The way I see it is like this
    Offensive driving - get THERE and be gone before the other guy gets there, be it the ramp, the merge, the particular spot on the road. In other words the more traffic you have in your rear view the less you have to worry about .

Defensive driving - anticipate the drivers actions and do not be where he will be.
    Perceive your self as invisible and anticipate that no one will see you. Know the rules of stale green lights, and a host of other stuff.

Now on the road there's room for everyone to drive defensive - there never would be any accidents or collisions if everyone was 100%.
    Not so with driving offensive- if every drove offensive there would be nothing but accidents and collisions.

3. I know what ya mean...live about 2 miles from a big dealership...think i'm heading outta town over memorial day....110th

4. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Define slow and low compression. My flathead is not fast by todays standards and similarly with compression:rolleyes:

I say run the open exhaust. The old people will get over it

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'd have 2 cards in my spokes, but Mom would only let me have one clothspin.
    Open em up, open it up, say, "WHAT"???

6. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Here in SE Penna several local towns have laws against their use, in one case it is a whole township.

I get a kick out of the signs, most of them say 'BRAKE RETARDERS PROHIBITED'. WTF is a 'brake retarder'?. Sounds like something that retards your braking system. Yeah, I know a lot of people refer to them as 'brake retarders' but you would think a legal definition should be used - they should more accurately called 'engine retarders' or 'compression brakes'.

I wonder if you could beat the ticket they give you by claiming your truck does not have a system that 'retards the brakes'.

/rant off..

7. When I played football, we were playing a game vs Cal, the Berkeley cops all rode a Harley and had some of the loudest pipes i have heard on a full bagger. They raped those bikes up and down the street closing off cross traffic so our bus could convoy to the stadium without stopping. everyone of those guys shook the bus as they full throttled past us.

guarantee any one of them would give a ticket to a hot rod with open pipes for noise, beside the fact they create more noise than said hot rod.

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Between iPods playing full bore through ear pods, loud Harleys and Hondas with fart cans, the smart move is to buy hearing aid stock to fund your next build.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truth be known they are probably the reason for the rule.

Still I live two miles out of town on one of the major North/South highways in the state of Washington and go to bed at 9pm and get up at 3am on work nights/days. In the summer we get as many as three or four hundred Harleys a day gong past here and 3/4 of them have straight pipes. Add to that the semi trucks running straight pipes and the fart pipe mini cars with their 1000+ watt sub only sound systems set on thump and then try to sleep. My house is 400 ft off the road in the middle of a field and I still get woke up a bunch of times a night.

Loud for the sake of being loud isn't worth a shit except to be annoying. A really sweet set of pipes that sound great when you rap them off is pretty cool though and if you don't know the difference it's time you learned.

10. I just found out I have a pierced ear drum .I WILL NOT BE CALLING IN ON ANYBODY..

11. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Mostly in cental and south Orange County. Kids with rice burners started a uproar . Open a lot of local police eyes with illegal street racing .

12. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  13. DH9185

DH9185

I run open headers, no problem. It would take a ballsy cop to ticket a Veterans Tribute car, lol. I'm sure there's a young one out there somewhere who will try sooner or later. I'll drive straight to the station and ask for the watch commander - who's probably going to be a vet.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm also vet like many here. Glad to hear it's a free pass to break the muffler laws.Does that also apply to other laws we don't like?

15. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

If i hear a Harley or a hotrod before i see it, i allways wait for it, if i havent heard them i would probaly miss them:) Anyway feels like trucks and tractors etc sounds way bader is taken longer time to pass(and deeper sound) so cant get the nag about good old scots passing at 65mph.
    This thread have going down, thought this place wouldent be place for complaing about great sounding Hotrods bla bla bla.....

16. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Yes,as a matter of fact it does. Its the law that we drive the speed limit.......most dont like the speed limit so we go a little faster,its the law that you have to wear a seatbelt(in most states) my hot rods dont have seat belts,its also the law that you have to have windshield wipers,turn signals and tag light....i have none of these things....so yes we can pick and chose the laws we follow as hot rodders......Its part of our DNA....most cops dont care anyway

17. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I knew a disabled vet that parked his Vette in a no parking zone every day for many years. His reasoning was he didn't think there was a cop in town that would ticket a car with disable vet tags. He was right.

Well said!

A neighbor used to have a OT car he drag raced. He was tuning it one day after work. The miserable waste of human life that was between me and the guy with the drag car came over wanting me to call the cops on the guy. (He had called the cops on everyone in the neighborhood so many times the cops stopped coming out). I told him the guy tuning his car was music to my ears. That really pissed off the old guy.
    When I had stock cars I was very careful not to run them at night, or too early on Sunday morning when we'd unload.

Lots of towns around here have signs that say no jake brakes or no engine brakes.

18. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Loud pipes save lives

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I went out life saving yesterday.

20. Jeesh! Turn your hearing aids down n youll never hear us!! Simple fix!!

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

And there are disabled people,vets or not,who expect no special treatment and never take advantage of their situation.

22. north side

north side
    from texas

What a about my 153 decibel train horn? I love blowing them at a red light next to a loud stereo, they can hear my horns over the rattling trunk lid.

23. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

LOL

Of course.

24. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Is 311 like 1/3 of an emergency ?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

That's all we need are more people messing with their phones while driving. Great freakin' idea. A buddy of mine was killed by a lady on her phone. They just want to get people tattling on other people instead of the police doing something. Aren't there more dire situations to be concerned about than someone's loud pipes.

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

Do you get to meet your accuser? Hell, lets make it fair....
    Bet all those Gomer Pyle 'Citizens Arrayest' types might rethink.

27. I would love to see someone call it a Whippet, Edsel, Hudson, or Studebaker. no way in hell, that the general population could recognize any of those.

28. personally, i hate this law.

i love loud cars, but only good sounding cars, those stupid jap-jobs with there fart cannons and the idiots on their rice rocket bikes irritate the crap out of me. but sit back and think, those are rebels like us, they wont settle for some stock piece of shit honda like us. after all, were all rebels right?

besides, where i live they dont give a crap about what you drive, ive literally seen a guy driving a frame once. so thats one law ill never have to worry about.

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If I can hear it in my house when you drive by, it's too loud.

30. It'a all about perception. I just had a new exhaust system installed on my 47 flathead.
    The muffler shop I use talked me into a 2" straight back system with no mufflers.
    I was convinced it would be way too loud. Not so. Since I balloon foot that little engine everywhere I go, it sounds sweet. If I wanted to step in it, it probably would be annoying at 1:30 in the morning.
    Everyone in the neighborhood says it just sounds like an old hot rod.
    It's all about how you present yourself. You have to live with your neighbors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.