Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Loud multiple bang noise when releasing clutch hard

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hobbyjp, Aug 19, 2019.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I have a 1954 Chevy 210 with a 235 manual transmission. About two days ago I put the car in reverse and heard a noise that made me feel like the brake pads fell apart. I drove around a little and there's a constant whine and if I let off the clutch hard it bangs multiple time extremely loud.
    I checked the front ujoint today I can force the shaft up and down which seems a little weird but I'm not super knowledgeable about enclosed drivelines it also seemed like it was to one side too.
    Has anyone experienced a bad clutch make multiple banging noises? I guess my next step is to completely disconnect the drive line and run it through the gears and see if it's in the front or rear end. Any help or experience would be appreciated.
    Thanks Jimmy

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

So you know the U joint is loose but you think the problem is the clutch?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. I would put it up on the lift and have someone run it through the gears while I listened from underneath.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If you're going to "listen from underneath", You might want to stand either in front of the clutch or behind the rear end...… just saying......

5. Should there ever be any play in a U joint?
    Naw!!!

Tommy

6. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Yes on a normal open driveline car there is no play in the drive shaft this is an enclosed driveline and there's no locking pins to keep the ujoint from moving up and down. I'm kinda confused about how this ujoint is supposed to work. It's been 10 years since I last changed the clutch and had it all apart.

7. Sorry,, I missed line about enclosed.
    Just assumed later model driveline.

8. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I found the manual and I guess there is supposed to be clips holding the you ujoint in on two sides. I'm thinking something happened and broke the clips pushing the ujoint out of place. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the whole yoke out to have a better look.

9. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Can anyone verify if there's a ujoint at the rear of the enclosed drive shaft on the 54 Chevy? I could only find information on the front ujoint in the manual

10. no universal at the rear

11. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

It kinda seemed like the solid shaft was pushed to the top of the enclosure tube. It might have been the way I had the front jacked up though. have you ever heard of the shaft getting bent?