Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loud exhaust, is it just me getting old?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Model T1

Model T1

Ever notice how things go in cycles? For awhile nearly everyone had to have Flowmasters.

2. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

For me? I have found that a good flowing exhaust does not have to be loud...I now even run a muffler on my racecars, now the straight cut gear boxes sitting a foot or so from me are louder than the engine....and sometimes that is not enough..so I also use ear plugs too.. cause the other racers don't use mufflers, that way when I am racing I mostly only hear the ringing in my ears...caused by all those years of playing loud blues on stage and working on loud racecars.
    your results may vary

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And those people usually had them on a stock motored POS. Amplifying boring. TV and Mario can be blamed for that. "My car MUST be bad ass. It's got Flow Masters.":rolleyes:

4. no55mad

no55mad

Hey, maybe 'Supertraps' will come back in style:)

5. I like to think my 55 sounds pretty damn good, even with Flows on it. It also runs pretty well, but I'll let the folks "in the know" believe it's stock under the hood 'cause it's got Flowmasters on it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. I have a freind that has a 68 L-88 Vette and when I talk to him
    and the Car is running I have to almost yell at him so
    he can hear me over the Rumbel of the Exhaust
    hes 67 & I am way Past that & I still like Loud Pipes

Just my 3.5 cents

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Buy a louder radio !!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

8. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Funny!! Spilled my coffee.:D:D:D

9. Bull

Bull

I had short lake headers on my roadster when I got it. They had baffles but were still quite loud.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to change up the exhaust a bit anyway, so I had saltflatmatt build these for me. Still loud, but got the exhaust behind me.
    [​IMG]

Either way, I still wear ear plugs in the car. I find it really helps with the wind noise as well and just makes driving the car more enjoyable. Even with my custom fit ear plugs in, I can still enjoy the exhaust note and carry on a conversation with a passenger.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sanderson sells baffles for those Jayster headers but they don't do anything really. My Son had those on the BB Olds in his rpu and nothing we could do would quiet them down. But we have driven all over with open headers and, knock on wood, we have been left alone. :D

Your tudor looks really great BTW. As long as you drive sensibly you shouldn't have any problems, a lot of cops appreciate hot cars too.

Don

11. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Don

You bring up an interesting point. My being a potential cranky geezer was the original point but are there published noise levels in most states? I will have to check into that for here. I doubt is left to the discretion of the local police, a little too subjective surely?

I moved here from the UK and know that back there when you build a car they actually perform a comprehensive test that includes a noise check at 4000RPM with a db meter, ANYTHING over 101dB is a failure.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made a big change years ago on an OT, all noise related. Used to pound an 800CC Rotax triple through the woods from 9am til 1-2am the next day. It had the stock insulated pipes, but 3 little glasspack silencers. Loud? Holy-kiss my-go ta hell, was it ever. WFO was insane, cruising was loud enough to hear a 1/4 mile away without trying. Used to ride last in the pack, and on a couple known long straights I'd hang back a few wind it up, ease off before I got next to one of my bros, then lean over hard on the left and blast it as I blew by em at 70+. You jump right outta your fuckin skin!! They all did it to me so payback, ya know? 3 season I ran it like that and enough was enough. I'd lay down at night and all I heard, even with ear protection, BAHGAGAHAGAAGAHAAHAG...BRAAAPPP!!....BAHGAAHAGAHGAAAHH...BRAAAPP!!! BRAAAPPP!!! Took almost an hour to go away. Went to a 3 into one and it's so much better.

Still, at idle, all that 2 stroke power, and it's own special "cadence" as it sat there literally shaking up n down ready to rip. I miss the idle through the glasspacks, but you can have the rest. I admit I'm older, just can't admit to growin up...

13. kennb

kennb

I've road Harleys all my life and for the last 40 or so years ran mostly straight pipes. Can't take it anymore. Last year put baffles in my 72 Harley FLH with true duals and considered mufflers. My 29 Essex will have exhaust all the way out the back when done. Probably on the loud side but behind me. Yeah my buddies call me an old fart. Ken

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've had a couple of friends tell me how uncomfortable their loud / open pipes are. And it isn't just the noise. Breathing in or getting coated by all the exhaust byproducts / oils / sediments / fumes greatly adds to their discomfort. After awhile, your lungs probably end up looking like the sides of hot rods where the Lakes pipes coat the cowls / doors. Yummy. I guess there's a good reason the exhaust exits at the back of OEM stuff, eh? Even without mufflers at all, at least carrying the byproducts to the back of the car might be a good idea and you could still use cutouts for track days / showing off / harassing cars with loud stereo systems. Gary

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I usually run smaller horsepower engines, they actually sound better with a decent exhaust. Junk engines with loud exhaust, sound more like junk the louder they are. High dollar engines sound good no matter what you do to them. doesn't bother me to get my junk as quiet as I can, but they still end up being quite loud.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what?
    WHAT honey I can t hear you?

Perfect!, and priceless...

17. fortynut

fortynut

Loud is obnoxious and shows the kind of disregard for others that originally gave rodding a bad name. Mellow is fine. Personally, I have always preferred Hemi type mufflers over all others because I like to drive fast and loud exhaust draws attention to your vehicle when you do. These type mufflers do not inhibit performance as much as some of the others. There is logic to stealth. Bootlegger cars all were quiet, even though they had souped up engines to make them go fast when needed. That logic has become my model, even though I will readily admit to having created some hellish loud exhaust systems before I saw the light. It took a few speeding tickets for it to dawn on me that loud gets the wrong kind of attention from Johnny Law. If a Hot Rod needs to be loud for performance reasons during competition, I'm all for it; even though many sanctioning bodies for round track racing require competitors to keep decibel levels under a certain threshold. Other people inhabit the same space as those who like noisy exhaust. Anything that annoys another person's peace and quiet is known as 'disturbing the peace', and this includes radios, that are often louder than the exhaust noise from internal combustion engines, including motorcycles. Not to be a nerd, here, but there are certain considerations we need to keep in mind while pursuing our hobby. Not everyone in enamored of what we think of as music to the ears. Some of those we annoy are the same people who pass legislation that impedes our use of the streets and highway systems, and can require inspections and the use of decibel meters to pass. Logic and foresight in how we exhibit ourselves can go a long way to keep these kinds of restrictions from becoming a reality. Jus' sayin'.

18. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

Yup, there sure are a lotta old people around here...

19. fortynut

fortynut

With age come tolerance. If I resemble your remark, it is not the sign of old age, but of reason. I remember back in the day that loud exhaust was illegal and paid the price for it more than once. We have more people, now, and there are fewer law enforcement officers per capita. My issue is that laws will be made for yearly inspections based on an aggregate number of violators now creating problems. Personally, I don't give a damn if you take your manifolds off and run them without. I'm just posing a question, of sorts, as to the inevitable that will befall all of us, is a few flagrant violators shit the nest for the rest of us. Comprehende?

20. Road Runner

Road Runner

With age comes also hearing loss and tendinitis in some cases.
    With lower frequencies and louder levels, it can cause pain in your mind that is just plain humbling.
    Ear plug technology keeps advancing and it can give more than just a piece of mind.

21. In the same boat-What? Hearing tests are the proof.:(

22. Adjust the sound to what you are comfortable with and be done with it. What anyone thinks is of no consequence.

23. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Just do like I do and turn up your radio.:D

24. firingorder1

firingorder1

You "treated yourself to a Model A roadster". And its too loud. The first thing you should do is check the compression ratio and the ignition advance. If you haven't enough of both all you are doing is making a loud irritating noise. I have a neighbor with a stock engine and straight pipes. Sounds like crap. There are also a gazillion Harleys with a variety of loud pipes trying desperately to sound badass. If you want to keep the pipes you have put some compression and igniton in your motor and give it some spirit, oomph, character whatever you want to call it.

25. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

I've got no issue with any modified exhaust - even the fart can imports - my complaints are all in the operation. Listen, there's no reason to keep your straightpiped 883 Sportster or fartcan equipped Honda in second gear while cruising at 40mph.

Shift, asshole! Maybe even two or three times.

Your motor, neighbors, and hearing will thank you.

26. Cruiser

Cruiser

I don't think you an old fart, if you don't like loud pipes. Your either a hot rodder or a cruiser, hot rodders like it loud and cruisers like it sweet and cool.
    I'm a cruiser, I like my Smitty's glasspacks they have the right cool '50's sound, sweet and cool. It's the quality of the sound that counts and loud to me is just loud with no quality of sound.
    Post #39 Bad Bob's old shoebox cool car, the pipes were just too loud for me.

CRUISER :cool:

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After 13 years the shorty glass packs I have on my 37 Chevy p/u are getting too loud for me so I am going to look into some quieter mufflers,sometimes turning up the radio does not work as the mufflers drown it out.

28. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Exactly what I'm looking for. Please tell me what glasspacks, what size and where you placed them to get the drone out of the cab.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Unless I'm wrong Mario is on Magnaflow commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6khjZg42x1w

30. chromeazone

chromeazone

Sounds like it's PRIUS time......Sh-h-h-h