Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lotsa Y Blocks - Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by agshelby, Dec 22, 2012.

1. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok - for what its worth, I have been searching for the right value for these and dont have a clear answer. Moderators can delete this if the Q is not appropriate for this board.

My Dad has become serious about cleaning out his shop. He is into the Skyliners - and has hoarded parts for years. In one corner of his shop he has a few rows of Y blocks. He has 8 of them - and they mostly complete with brackets, generators, carbs, etc. They are a mix of 312 and 292, and all came out of cars.

I want to make sure he doesnt get ripped off, and I also want to put them at a fair market price so he will actually sell some stuff. This is the first time in 20+ years he has been willing to sell anything and now you can actually walk through his shop.

I am going up there for christmas (western Texas) and will pull information and take some photos.

Thanks for any advice.

2. 117harv

117harv

$100 - ? depending on condition. The 312's are worth the most, but all are worth $$$. It is not uncomon to see rebuild tags on the sides of the blocks, depending on how far they have been taken in the rebuilds makes a differance. Any bell housings and or transmissions?

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

4. Your avatar is a HOOT!! I have 2 of those fat bastards, eat, sleep, burp, snore, fart, and repeat.:D:D:

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say if you have the time and ability part them out if they are cores. I have parted out several junk motors over the years, got way more than I could have just selling them outright. I even did a Y-block once. frozen solid, got about 300 bucks from brackets and junk, no intake. junked the block and rotating assembly.

6. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are not junk, all turn free. He already scrapped out the junk motors. I think there are a few transmissions and bellhousings, too - but my memory could be wrong. I will check later this week.

7. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dug through the shop today. The current total is qty three 312 engines, and 1 292. There is also one 58 Mercury 383 V8. There are other 312 that he is keeping (original engine to the TBird and one extra core) a mercury flathead, and a 289 with the manual bellhousing assembly. There is also two 3 speed transmissions for the Yblocks complete with clutch assembly and bellhousings. The 312s are under a lot of junk and I will try to pull them out later this week to get some photos. Look for an ad in the classified section once I have a good idea of value. It is all going for sale later this month.

8. Normbc9

Normbc9

What size cubic inch displacement? They range from 239 to over 400 inches. Try www.yblockguy.com
    Normbc9

9. carmuts

carmuts

Drop one off at my house later this spring. Thinking of putting a Y-block in a 53 Mainline unless I find a 430 Lincoln. Rod

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

Also depends upon the year. 1957s are worth more to some than the earlier Y-blocks and the 312"s are worth 2-3 times the 292".

jack vines

11. Lorry Azevedo

Lorry Azevedo

looking for ford 312 block & crankshaft & rods.

12. There all 312s and this threads pushing 3 years since anyone posted.

Oldmics

lothiandon1940 likes this.