Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost race tracks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ob1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx HRTH!

I don't know how you did that, but I appreciate it. I did knock on the door one time but nobody home. The wife was with me and quite anxious to leave. I will pursue it more when I'm going by there alone.

Can you scale it so we can see how big it might be?

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Old automotive supplier test track, maybe ?

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Maybe! It's kinda in an odd place. No real industry there. Subdivision looks like it grew up around the farm. I'm sure the neighbors would hate it if someone like me bought it.

Speedwrench likes this.
  4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Did a quick tracing around the picture. Comes real close to 1/2 Mile.
    Somebody has got to know more about this.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You can right click and save the pic to your PC, then load it into your post. For this one, I did a quick screen shot (hold down the ctrl and alt buttons, then press the print screen button. Now left click in the HAMB reply space, then press ctrl and "V" buttons ("copy") to copy the pic (or in this case, my monitor view) into the post body.

Anyway, my Math wiz Son just got home from his night Calculus class so I put him at the monitor. He took one look at the photo and said "it's a perfect oval, it's probably 1/2 mile". He quickly rough scaled the Google photo to 630' straightaways and the corners to be 200' radius'. He was right on with the perfect oval quote as the straightaways are the same length as the corners;
    1260' straightaways
    1256' circumference of curves
    2516' total, just shy of half mile (2640'). Same as what you came up with so it looks to have been surveyed out to be a half mile track. One sure way of measuring the track is to take a lap and check your odometer!

As Speedwrench said, maybe an automotive industry test track. Not far fetched given the proximity of Detroit, GM's Flint plant, etc.

It may have been an old Country Jalopy track, though 1/2 mile seems large. Hundreds of them dotted the country post war into the 60's. If that's the case, I'd be stomping through the adjacent woods looking for wrecked/discarded 30's Coupes!

Definitely try knocking again. House looks old and I bet the track is too. If you strike out there the local old timers may recall the track in operation or library may be able to help you out.
    They crammed as big a track as they could within the property lines.

upload_2018-3-20_22-24-23.png

6. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. butch27

butch27

Please check more about the track in Goodrich, MI Someone has to know. Cool

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I guess I forgot that Reading and Silver Spring was long gone. What on the old Langhorne land ?

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The back wall of Ascot Speedway in Gardena is still there. There are to many to name in So Cal but my mom and dads first date was at a speedway in South Gate. Others that I went to as either a kid or adult were Carrol speedway (dirt), of course Ascot, a pavement track in Irwindale (not the one that's there now), Corona Speedway (dirt), El Toro (dirt), and Western Speedway (dirt) also in Gardena.

10. X-cpe

X-cpe

Beltsville Speedway in MD. Half mile paved oval. Closed in the late 70's or early 80's. Now Capital College.Last time I was by there you could still see the banking at the ends of their parking lot.In the late 60's , before Winston money, the Grand National boys would come and race. They had a 60 or 70 race per year schedule if I remember right. Old Dominion Speedway in Manasas, VA. Three eighths mile paved oval and one eighth mile dragstrip. Closed in the last few years, but they built a new racepark down around Fredricksburg,VA. For about a month and a half in '69 we were running Beltsville on Friday, Old Dominion on Saturday night and Marlboro ( 0ne third mile paved oval?) on Wednesday until they stopped Marlboro. Was good to be young,single and not need sleep. Somebody already mentioned Dorsey and an older friend told me there was a track in Lanham and a couple of others in the early 50,s. 75&80 dragstrip in Monrovia, MD is also gone.