Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost race tracks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ob1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Ob1

Ob1

Here is one in my neighborhood, the old Charleston Rebel Speedway, a dirt track from the old days. If you have Google Earth, you can plug these coordinates in, enable Historical Images and see the track still there in the trees in 1989. Now, a warehouse...

32.778977,-80.164888

els likes this.
  2. jokerjason

jokerjason

Thats cool man. I Always liked pictures of the old Vallejo speedway. I am pretty sure nothing is left of the place but not positive. There use to be a drive in also out there, I'll see if I can find some pictures. See ya, JOKER JASON.

els likes this.
  3. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

There was a 1/8 mile drag strip in Eugene Oregon back in the 60's-70's named Balboa. The land was eventually declared wetland and allowed to return to nature.

els likes this.
  4. mrflagman

mrflagman
    from Wisconsin

Here are some photos of a track near me in Black River Falls, Wi. This was one of the tracks Dick Trickle cut his racing teeth on in the late 1960's and early 1970's.
    Looking down the Backstretch.
    [​IMG]
    Part of the Frontstretch wall.
    [​IMG]
    A view of the Start/Finish line.
    [​IMG]
    Try this link to see more:
    http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/mrflagman/Ghost Tracks/

els likes this.

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Hales Corner Speedway in Hales Corners Wisconsin, one of the best known tracks in the area now a bunch of over priced condos. It's faint was sealed when the condos and shopping malls started popping up. People started bitching about the noise and traffic on Friday and Saturday nights, why the hell did they move next to a race track if they didn't want the noise?

Same thing with all of the drive in movies in the area, all of them were gone by the mid 80's, the Starlite, Victory, 24 Outdoor, 59 Outdoor just to name a few of the dozen or so that were in the Milwaukee area.

els likes this.
  6. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

We used to have an old 1/4 mile dragstrip in Louisville, Ky. called Cedar Creek Dragway. Not sure what is on the site now, farm land or houses.

els likes this.
  7. Rocket455

Rocket455
    from Lebanon me

There is an old track in the woods about 20 min. from my house. Ill take some pics next time I go by.

els likes this.
  8. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

i love seeing the pictures of the old race tracks, wish i could see them all in person

els likes this.
  9. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

It would just depress you, I know it would depress me.

els likes this.
  10. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

thats true but atlest id be there instead

els likes this.
  11. edweird

edweird

i know exactly where that is. I drove by it every day for 18 yrs.

els likes this.
  12. Here's the old Lakewood Speedway in Atlanta. All the greats raced here back in the 40s, 50s and 60s.

[​IMG]

Here's the same view today ....
    [​IMG]

The grandstands at Lakewood ....
    [​IMG]

Grandstands today ....
    [​IMG]

A view from the grandstands, ca. 1950s
    [​IMG]

Same view today ....
    [​IMG]

Aerial view during Lakewood's heyday ...
    [​IMG]

Now ....
    [​IMG]

:(:(:(

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    els likes this.
  13. Don't forget the track that's under Lake Lanier here in GA- became visible again furing the drought last year!

els and Just Gary like this.
  14. k9racer

k9racer

A friend of mine named Mike Bell from ata ga is cataloging/ photo and history of all the closed tracks in Ga.. He is also cataloging for history about all the drivers who lost their lifes while racing in ga.. Later... Bobby

els likes this.
  15. Oakland California had a speedway located where the Easmont Mall is now at Foothill Blvd. and Edwards Ave IIRC.

Photos and other information seem pretty hard to find.

els likes this.
  16. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Hey flagman- Wheres that track in BRF? When did it close?

I can't believe I didnt know it was there..

els likes this.
  17. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Here is what remains of an old 4/10's of a mile oval track 10 minutes from my house. It closed in the late 1970's:( It was called Hurricane Speedway, in Blezard Valley, Ontario.

hurricane_1.jpg

hurricane_2.jpg

article1.jpg

article2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    els likes this.
  18. mrflagman

mrflagman
    from Wisconsin

It is north of BRF on HWY 12. About a mile past I94. Behind an used car dealership. Used to be A Chrysler dealer. The track was one of the first to be paved in WI. I think in 1961 or 62. Closed in 1971.

els likes this.
  19. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Pioneer Raceway ,,Des Moines ,Ia,,1/4 mile dirt track ,,my aunt raced there in the '40's n '50's after she was a Pilot in WW II ,,ferry'ing B-17 aircraft to England ,,
    >>>>>,Des Moines DragStrip ,,in the '50's n '60's ,,raced there when i was in hi-school,,
    >>>>>,HOBBS New Mexico ,an abandened USAF flying wing air strip ,,,the AHRA Super Stock Nat'ls was held there in '63,,i was stationed at Walker AFB in Roswell ,,first time i met Dickie Harrell there ,,racin' a 409 Chevy Impala,,
    >>>>>,Anchorage DragStrip,,,raced there in '64-'65 when i was stationed in the USAF there ,,bought up by the Oil Companys and turned into the main street for a subdivision,,
    >>>>>,Polar Dragway ,,Alaska ,,built in '64 ,,,i raced there 'till '6
    9,,,now been sold and renamed Alaska Raceway Park ,,
    >>>>>,Lakewood Drag Strip ,,Tennesee ,,was featured in the movie ,,Two Lane Blacktop ,, now abanded ,,
    >>>>>,Lions Drag Strip ,,California ,,bulldosed and now an industrial park ,,
    And they just keep[ on going away ,,,SAD ,,,

els likes this.
  20. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

Onondaga Drag Strip in MI closed back in 1978 and there were pig huts on it just a few years ago. I would drive by and get sad. Then in the last two years they cleaned it up and started running 1/8th mile old school style. Tuesday they actually got the TWP to allow a special use permit and they plan on opening it back up. I'm 5 minutes away so I'll be driving there in race trim:D

els likes this.
  21. Where was this at exactly??

els likes this.
  22. Pioneer Raceway was on SE 14th Street but I don't remember the cross street,. The track was approximately 1 mile north of Bob Trostle's old sprint car garage, or maybe 1 1/2 miles north of the intersection of SE 14th and Army Post Road. The track was on the east side of the street and has been gone since the late 1950's or very early 1960's.

els likes this.
  23. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Silver Spring Speedway-Mechancsburg,Pa

Flemington Speedway-Flemington,N.J.

Danbury Racearena-Danbury,Ct

Reading Fairgrounds-Reading,Pa.

All great tracks that are shopping centers now.

els likes this.
  24. Here is the quarter mile oval at jantsen beach in Portland Oregon, I raced here in the late 60s. It's a shopping mall and condos now.
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  25. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

Kearney Bowl Fresno, CA 1\4 paved oval
    Raisin City Drags near Fresno now raisin grapes
    Fremont Drags- Fremont CA Oval track there also
    Clovis, CA turned rodeo grounds into a half mile dirt track. last race there was a stock car race with hemi Dodges and 429 boss fords still there but too much noise

els likes this.
  26. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

wow bob troslte what a guy bough some parts from him years ago said he broke jeff gordon in as a kid I figured the guy was just a nascar fan wow was i surprised guys the real deal and cool besides my fav track gone................ mar wentsville mo

els likes this.
  27. Signpainter

Signpainter

Old sight of Vallejo Speedway. You can barely make out the oval at 45 degrees. You can see the road leading up to the track.

[​IMG]

Vallejo Speedway today with houses built over it.
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  28. Hebert Racing

Hebert Racing
    from Louisiana

Cenla Raceway in Forest Hill , Louisiana closed in 1977

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  29. ScottV

ScottV

No Pics but how about the Trenton Speedway in Trenton, NJ
    I saw previous that Flemington Speedway was also mentioned. I used to go with my Grandfather there and watch Les Katona - K3 race.

and when I was stationed in England we used to go and drive on the banks of what used to be the famous Brooklands Race Course.

els likes this.
  30. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Now about Nazareth Race track - Nazareth, Pa. (Now A shopping center)

Harmony Speedway - Warren County NJ. (Last time I was by it, The remains of the track was still there.)

els likes this.