Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost-one Ford---found-one Son!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Sep 4, 2005.

1. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

This is probably a little to goody-goody post to be here on the "HOODLUM" channel, but its means the world to me and I consider myself a Hoodlum from way back!
    After returning home from the 05 Hamb Drags, life was good,super cars and the best of people, this is usally the time of year, I think of new projects, and I usally always get a case of the post Hamb Drags "BLUES"""""""""""!But not this year, Im busy living a dream.
    I will try and be brief as possible, but it aint a short story.
    Some here may remember the first year of the Hamb drags, I was there in my x-4 door 60 starliner, better known as the scarliner due to all the surgery welds, that happens when you take a 4 door sedan, make it a two door hardtop and change the drivetrain, from a 6 stick to a 460 4 speed, in about 30 days!Thanks to choprods and a host of other hardcore car guys, close friends, without thier help, this car would not exist.
    The car was a dream of mine and I drove it for about 2 years as was and loved every moment.But the car was never finished and I some how moved on to my 27 T project and the 60 was back burnered, a pattern that happens real often, here on the Hamb!
    Fast forward to the day I came home from work to find the 60 well on its way to major dis-assembly and my son, in the middle of a pile of parts that was once my dream!
    At first I was shook up, should I be mad and yell? The thought crossed my mind, but better judgement kicked in after my son, spoke up and said these word. Dad, hope you dont mind, but I always liked this car and thought it would be real cool finished, and since you havent touched it in a while, would you mind if I tried to do it, with your help and it would still be your car?
    Well its hard to argue with truthful words and I said why not? Its gonna be yours when Im gone anyway.And I thought, the car was a small price to pay, for a father son relationship, that could last a life time, something that many fathers never see fulfilled.
    The truth was, my son had never been taught anything about cars, by me at least, I felt he could pick up his natural talent and do what ever he liked, be it cars or whatever.I wasnt going to be a parent that forced thier kid to do something they didnt want to do!
    That was a big mistake! Now I know kids need to be shown a lot of basics, while they are young and will listen to mom and dad.Luckily for me, all my kids must have payed attention to thier mom and have turned out pretty well.
    To make the story shorter, me and my son have been spending quality time at home in the garage at nights working on the old scarliner, way more time together, than when he was in high school.
    We have been comparing thoughts and ideals of how we both think the car should be built, Ive had to give into some of his wants and he to some of mine, but generally, we both agree to how it should be and it looks like we are on our way with it.
    Yes I am living a dream, spending good quality time, working together with my son, on a car and both of us getting to know the other one better, and both of us learning a few things as we progress.
    Up this point its mainly been dis-assembly, which I know will be the easy part, but Im here to tell you, he seems very content on finishing the job and doing it right, he is about to wear the old man out! I havent been this busy working on a car , well since, two weeks ago! Getting the T ready to go to MO-KAN!
    Life is good! I think helping him, has inspired me to get busy on some of my stuff!
    Any other Hambers have anything similar to this happening with them or has happened in the past? I would loike to hear about it.
    Forgive the bad pic, it was taken during a week night of him working on the car, around ten at night, and yes we both had to work the next day!

2. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Pics didnt make it, lets see!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

3. Spike!

Spike!

Nice. Teach your children well.....

Spike

4. The experience and learning will be worth more than the car or any broken parts would ever be. I never had that kind of experience with my dad and he's regreting it now. Time passes so quickly nad you can't get it back. Enjoy the gift your son has given you, teach him what you know, and rememeber he can teach you something too. I suspect that if the world had more of what you're describing there'd be a lot less misery to go around.

Here's a picture of my boy during his first time wrenching. He was 8 at the time and anxious to learn. He learned something and he wore that grease under his nails like a badge for a week.

Attached Files:

5. Olson

Olson

Dude that is awesome. I grew up in a body shop and my dads projects were always normal drivers. My older brother turned me into the car guy I am at a very early age...thank god he did, cause my dad wanted nuttin' of it. Always pissed me off 'cause my dad was *really* good at what he did and a helluva good painter...but wanted me to find my own way. I still managed to worm my way in quite a bit and learned a lot anyway, but he never encouraged me to have fun with it. To him it was work. It was my car, but I did the same thing as yer son with one of my many VW Squarebacks one weekend at his shop (outside and out of the way, of course!). I had a clue so I gutted it and removed the top and started markin' everything out...figured if I got the top off he'd see that I was dead serious about wanting to do it and jump in a little bit. Well...he didn't and try as I did to do it myself anyway but I was more pissed that he didn't step up and trashed it to spite him. I was bein' a dumbass but I was pissed at 'im.

My kids are still 10-12 but I've passed on my love of old cars to them freely. Both my boys will end up building their own cars to some degree, and I wouldn't be surprised if my daughter cranks a wrench or two as well. I'll teach them whatever I can and I'm sure they'll push me to do a little more than I want but that's fine 'cause I'll learn a thing or two myself. Then they can help me with my stuff. :D

Soak it up man. That's a good thing ya got goin' there. Ain't nothin' mo badass than a pop and son kickin' it together.

Olson
    ----------
    I need a garage

6. There isn't anything more important than spending quality time with your kids. It could be fishing, biking, cars whatever you and your children both enjoy. It's a bond that will last forever.

I am in the midst of helping my brother in law clean up an old guys place. He died and daughter isnt intrested in anything but how much is it worth. It breaks my heart to see his lifes accumulations broken down to what it will bring at a garage sale. He was into cars, she has no interest, obviously she didn't spend any time in the garage bonding.

I love father son stories, thanks and great car.

7. Crease

Crease

Too goody goody? Nah, we need more of it. I learned alot from my dad and I hope to pass it on to my kids. Keep it up and congrats!

8. carkiller

carkiller

Hey Reggie, Kickass story. My case its my younghest daughter, Wants to know all and go faster.I love it. At eight years old she sat in my modified racer saying I needed to move the pedals(she couldnt reach) I explained she wasnt old enough. Her responce was all most. Hey could you adopt me? you have a coupla projects id like ta build. Cal

9. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

The year was 1976 and my oldest son had turned 16. He had enought money to buy a car but I didn't think he was responsible enough to own one. I tols him we could build a sreet rod with the money...he could fund it and he and I coluld build it. He called me a couple of days later with his "Find". Turned out to be a '54 f-100 that needed everything but a frame, cab doors and front fenrders. Exactly one year later he drove it for the first time. It was entirely finished, frame off, paint, interior, bed cover, Ansen sprints and Good Year Eagle series 50's.

Fast forward to today where the truck still resides in his garage; covered with blankets and ready to make the trip in a couple of weeks to the Rebel Run.

The experience of teaching your children is a wonderful thing whether your wrenching with your son or your 8 year old grandaughter. (Yeah she likes to clean the whide whites on the old Merc and has shown a pretty wicked arm when tossing candy out of her window during a parade.) :D

Enjoy your time with them, I'm 67 so I know it won't last forever. ;)

10. safetymike1977

safetymike1977

You guys don't think I am starting too early do ya?

Attached Files:

11. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Hey great story Reggie, you helped me with a similiar story and didnt know it. Remember that ol 34 cab and bed you gave me out of the yard, I gave it to my Dad and helped him put it together over a couple winters, we just drove about 200 miles together today its been some of the best times Ive spent he is enjoying something Ive been doing for along time. Kinda vice versa story but I aint forgot where it started Thanks Reggie
    P.S. We had alot of fun cuttin the Scarliner up that day out at the yard, aint fogot that either........RP

12. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

heres a pic.....RP

Attached Files:

13. BIG PORT JIMMY 6

BIG PORT JIMMY 6

Im lucky enough to work with my Dad every day and wouldnt trade for nothing. Jay

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

My son was always out in my shop when he was little. I worked at home building engines and cars so he had an early exposure. he was always jacking up his wagon and oiling the wheels, same with his bikes and everything that had wheels. When he turned 16 I gave him an origonal Z-28 Camaro (the only car he ever wanted to that point) He/we spent the next two years rebuilding it and he drove it the day he turned 18. The car was driven the remainder of high school and 4 years of college. When he got his deploma he told me he was going to sell the Camaro and buy a new car. I told him "no way" the car wasn't leaving the family. I "Bought" the car from him so he could make a down payment on a new car and stored it for 18 years in my storage shed. Last year he expressed interest in reviving the old girl so we dug it out, fired it up and after replacing a few safety items he drove it home (125 miles) with HIS son riding with him. My grandson is 12 years old and is now helping his dad rebuild the old Z-28. My son has many ideas he would like to incorporate into the rebuild including the overall concept of a "pro touring" look and performance. His son is right there every time he works on it and is eager to learn. I wish I lived closer to be able to work along side them, but I do get to go visit and check progress. It's such a great feeling knowing that something I started is now being passed on. When I think about it, it kinda brings a tear to my eye. I love you Patrick and Derek.

Frank

15. I made damn sure my son knew enough to change oil and do a tune up without seeming to "push' him into something he didn't want to do. I should have known better after building 6 or 7 father-son bicycle projects earlier in his life. He got bit by "the bug' by helping me with my hotrods through the years. It 15, he wanted to buy the 50 ford club coupe I couldn't really afford. [due to tuition, groceries, sports uniforms and equiptment, Karate, etc etc etc] and after giving him the parental speech about how all his homework had to be completed before wrenching on the car, we borrowed a buddy of mine with his truck and trailer. We brought the car home 17 years ago and my kid still has it. NOt much gets done on it per year because he still puts his own family and work ahead of playing with his toys.....
    Lots of lessons learned here for both of us... He's since gotten into turbo Porsches but he still piddles on the shubox a little when time permits. 2 days ago we were working on his latest red Porsche together..it was great!
    Viva le kids.

Attached Files:

16. BTW....check out the red engine in the John Deere yard tractor in the background. When the original engine did the "chicken' last year, my kid replaced it with a big red honda ohv engine....supposed to make like, 22 hp or something and the hood side panels bearly fit around it...thas my boy!

17. Paul2748

Paul2748

I know how you feel. My son and I built a 31 roadster together, He was in high school and college and we spent many a day/night working on the car. He's has turned out to be a fairly good amatuer mechanic (like me). He has since sold the 31, bought a 41 tudor (family car) and we have worked together redoing those things which have to be redone.

18. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Hey, thanks all to your replies to this post, looks like there have been some really good things come from spending time with your family.All of the comments make me feel better about ,this project and what we are doing together.I hope the two of us together can finish this thing and he gets as much good out of it as I already have. Family time rules!

Attached Files:

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Hot the rod and spoil the child"--Pogo, circa 1952

20. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Cool story. I always remember helping my dad. Now when my helper is in the way some times I make my self think of the times I was probably in my dads way but he let me help any way. Here is a couple of pictures of my helper and one of her playing with the most famous HAMB child of all time in Dirty2's car at Bowling Green at this years Hot Rod Reunion.

TT

Attached Files:

21. I am sort of coming at this the other way...I am the kid. I would guess around 13-14 I wanted a car. My dad always had drag boats and 4x4 Jeeps. He sold everything as I got a little older except the boats. I would tear the motor apart every spring and re-polish all the Cal Custom parts.
    I bought a 70 Chevelle for my first car right after I turned 14. We repainted and cleaned it up. I sold it because it was not as nice as we had hoped. My dad talked my into buying an 81 Malibu - it looked like a cop car. This car really changed the respect that my dad and I had for each other. It has been done 3 times in the nearly 20 years I have owned it. It is completely off topic for here but it has a blown small block, big brakes etc(we built Pro Touring in 1996).
    I also am at the point where I have to put my family first but I am not giving up on gathering parts for my T Touring.
    I want to put this together so the kids and I have something to ride around in. I also hope this will be the little bit of inspiration my boys will need to get into hot rods.
    I am grateful for my dad wanting to be involved in all of this with me. We still go to all the Swap Meets and Car Shows together.

22. Whitey

Whitey
    from T-Town

Hey man it was nice to meet you at the drags I know it awfully late to start this reply but I have pretty good one to ad.

My pops and I got along great when I was little I was always waking up in the back seat of his 39 chevy tudor and askin "what state are we in daddy", always in the garage with him workin on either his car or the AV8 PU he was building for my mom. I then started getting older and kind of distanced my self from both of my parents and even my kid sis. I really regret those years I had way too many other "extracuriccular activities" But about 5 years ago I kinda came down from the BS cloud I was on and started getting interested in my family again. The relationship me and my pops have now is stronger than ever hell if it wasnt for him I would have never got my 52 wired to take to MoKan. Now we are starting to get my A PU started along with my 52 and his 39 its kinda cool now how hes more like a straght laced friend rather than my Pops. So thats my two cents and with that and another 1.98 you might be able to buy a cup of coffee.

Later

Whitey

23. now THAT, is f'ing awesome!

24. Milner

Milner

I'm the kid too. I would not trade a second of the time I got to spend with my Dad working on whatever project it was....there were MANY. Our matching Early Broncos were my favorite....still have what is left of mine (more rockbuggy now). Just before he died, we were looking for a hotrod project for him. Thats were he started and it was time to go back. Well, it has been almost 8 years and I am finally able to gather the parts and start building that project. Those times were the absolute best of our lives. Enjoy and cherish them. It allowed us to not only be Father and Son, but BEST friends too.
    Marc

25. stan292

stan292

Scar-

Good for you!

Having just turned 61, I've moved all the way to the other side of your story. I made sure my (first) kid had plenty exposure to hot rodding and drag racing (although it was his grandpa who really took the time to teach him the "nuts and bolts" aspect of things). Later on, I helped him get his first "real job" with a local race-engine builder - and provided the seed money for him to buy a tubbed Nova pro-streeter to drop a built 454 into.

Fast-forward 10 years. He now married with two kids, has his own welding/fabrication shop, and is helping me (bigtime) put together a roadster PU (hey, he can still see good enough to make decent looking welds).

So ...you've not only gained a son - you've gone a long way toward securing your own hot rodding future. Plus, if you're really fortunate, you'll perhaps get the chance to "mentor" a grandson or two in the ways of hot rodding.

Meanwhile, good luck to both of you.

26. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

No Way! Not a mistake at all. From as long as i could remember my dad brought me to car stuff, sometimes he would leave me at home if he thought i would be bored and sometimes he would ask me if i wanted to go if he thought i would have fun. But he never forced me to go with him.

When i was real little i really loved baseball. I played from Tee Ball until 8th grade. All i wanted to do was play baseball. My mom and dad always encouraged me and supported my "baseball career" haha. My dad never forced me to like cars. But just by being around them so much i couldnt help but like them.

I remember the first time i really got excited about cars. I was about 13 and we where in Decatur IL for a car show, there was a 32 vicky parked behind us. My dad asked me to walk with him and look at this car. As we were looking at it he says "You know, Mike (my dads car club buddy) has a glass body just like this one, He would probably sell it to us for real cheap. If you want you can save your money up and buy it and we can build it for you." He of course helped me pay for parts when i ran out of money. Well, i think you know how that story ended up! :D On my 18th birthday i drove it for the first time.

Point is he never tired to force me to like cars, i think if he would have i probably would hate the sight of an old car. I freaking love cars, its all I think about.......well besides girls. But me and dad always go to car stuff together. We can build anything together. Whenever one of us gets stuck the other usually can think of a solution. We do get mad at each other and fight about stuff but that comes with the territory. Its a small price to pay to be able to spend so much time with my dad and visa-versa.

Your a cool guy Reggie, it was great to hang out with you and your brother at the drags. Im real happy to see your son is taking an interest in your hobby. If you bond with him half as much as me and my dad do, it will be worth it forever.

Nick

27. Dirty2

Dirty2

Thanks for the pict !!!! We are still thinking of a day care name for the meets !! Dirty's Day Care ? LOL

28. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Well, I'll say something from the kids perspective...

I'm 14, and, frankly, my dad hasn't worked on stuff like kars with me, but there are some people I kan work with (Not that my Dad's a bad person or anything, and no, I'm not saying that sarcastically...)...

Joe, a guy down the street at my old house has a '57 Chevy Bel Air, and '39 Ford Koop, I would bike over there and we would work, he would show me stuff, let me step back to watch how stuff was done, he's an awesome guy (The only thing I don't like are the mags on his '39 Koop...), he even had, if I remember, either and old Shoebox, or Cadillac in the back of his garage (It's been forever since I've been over there, so there's no way I kan remember...)...

There's another person in my life who's impacted me from the mechanikal sence, my Uncle...

He works at Penske on reefer units on trucks, and engines, too...

I love hanging out with him, 'kause he's so knowledgable about stuff, and he's always willing to share info, he has a kool old '61 or so Chevy Longbed pickem'up, unfortunately the chassis cracked, so, maybe that kan be a project for him, and I...

He's even going to show me how to weld pretty soon here!!!

Anyway, here's my point, if your kid wants to work on the kar or truck with you, deffinetely include them, sure, stuff might get broken on accident, younger kids may have some tears from knuckle busters and stuff like that, but there's so much for them to learn there, and they'll never forget, and it will always strengthen the relationship between them and you, plus, it will give you a lot of memories and laughs when you're both older, don't pass chances like this up!!!

Deffinetely a kewl story, thanks for posting!!!

Woohoo!!! 200 Posts!!!

I hope I'm not intruding by posting from the kids perspective here... :eek:

TTYL.

Later, peace...

Troy.

29. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I dont think you are at all, but for future reference, almost everywhere you use a "k" to spell a word, you need to replace that with a "c" Such as in "kar"=wrong where as "car"=correct. ;) Now go learn to weld, and don't make fun of my run-on sentence. :D

Nick

30. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

My english teacher would have some choice words for you... Lol... J/K...

Okay, I will try to spell kar right, oops, did it again, C-A-R, car...

TTYL.

Later, peace...

Troy.