Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost my pics

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by CG, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Have you posted any photos since these with the same results? Maybe try reposting one of the missing pics in this thread.

I would think that images hosted on Ryan's servers would be pretty stable. Maybe there's some maintenance work going on in the backroom at HAMB World HQ. I wondered if the images you uploaded were too large. But that probably doesn't explain why they appeared initially but not now.

Is it possible that you've renamed or tried moving the pictures to a different album on the HAMB? This would likely break the links to your post in the forum.

I only have a handful of pics hosted on the HAMB's servers but have had no issues. Most of the pics I post are hosted offsite on Photobucket and none of them have "disappeared" either, as far as I know. For either posting method I've gotten into the habit of downsizing my images before uploading them to Photobucket or the HAMB servers.

Either way, once you've linked the photos to a thread here, or anywhere else on the web, don't go back to your image host and rename, rearrange or reorganize your photo albums. You'll end up breaking your image links and your posted images will "disappear".

2. Any new photos I've posted since the change are fine. I haven't touched or renamed any of the photos in my album (they are all still there). I make sure all the photos I post in my album are well within the board protocol. I took the first photo from the first post on that thread and posted it again and it posted fine ... just not in the same position. I could probably go through and delete the X photos and try to remember which photos were there and reload them all. I was just hoping it was some sort of setting problem he was working on so I wouldn't need to do that.

I read through a bunch of threads regarding pics since the board change, and in the body of one thread someone mentioned the same problem. I checked out that persons thread and it was just like mine. I believe the response to him was, we are working on it. I looked for follow up (it was a while back) and didn't find any. So I went ahead and posed my question here to see where things were at, or if I missed something. This place moves so quickly its an easy thing miss stuff =)

As far as linking from other hosting sites I don't do that. I use either the Garage Journal, The HAMB, or 67-72chevytrucks.com for actual hosting of pics that I post to the respective boards. Or I just use the simple way of pulling the pic directly off my computer. I believe that way its not actually in my album but becomes a permanent part of the board and however its server stores pics and such. I have not idea how it works ... way beyond the scope of my pea brain LOL.

Thanks for following up with me ClayMart, I've seen you help many times regarding board problems. Too bad you cant earn a HAMB merit badge for all your effort =) Its much appreciated by us guys that are a little slow on the up take =)

3. Well I grabbed a couple pics from your album here to see what I could see. The images are sensibly sized so I don't think that's the issue. I thought I'd try linking to a couple of your pics here, and they seem to be working fine. So now I'm more than a little puzzled myself as to what's happening in your other thread. And I suspect that it may be one of those problems that fixes itself some day.

You could go back and edit your original post and try deleting a couple of the broken image links and inserting new links from your album. It might work, though I'm not sure why, and it won't make matters any worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

4. Well here's an interesting development. I went back to a thread I started a couple years ago that included pictures that were hosted on the HAMB's servers. The images have disappeared and all I've got left showing are the placeholders.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...style-of-headlamp-before.568374/#post-6312928

You may have to scroll back to the top of the page to see the problem.

At least now I've got something to experiment with and see if I can maybe fix the image links.

Edit to add: I've already fixed one of the links. Now we'll let it sit for a couple of days and see if it stays fixed. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hat will be fixed on a future update.

6. Thanx for the update. Another one of those issues that mysteriously corrects itself! :D

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

7. Thanks guys, I've had a couple people ask what happened to the pics. Ill just take some time and re do the threads.

8. Here's the beauty part of it if you don't want to wait for the next site update. You don't have to completely redo your original post. It's a pretty quick and simple matter to make a couple changes to the existing post. If you're interested...

Open your post with the missing images.

At the bottom left of your post click where it says "EDIT".

In the "Edit Post" window place your cursor next the placeholder for the missing image.

Now hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor over the placeholder to select it. It should turn blue.

At the top of the "Edit Post" window click on the Camera icon over on the right side. Another window showing the contents of your HAMB photo album should open at the bottom of the Edit window.

Scroll thru this second window to find the proper picture and click it.

BAM! The selected placeholder will be replaced with the new, and working, image link.

At the bottom of the window click the More Options button, then click the Preview button to see if you like the changes. If you do, click where it says "Save Changes" to submit your edited post.

Once you get the hang of it you can fix all the broken links in a given post at the same time and it will go pretty quickly. And you'll have more time to spend in the shop! :rolleyes:

9. Sweet, sounds pretty simple ... thanks!