Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost my dad today...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just need to vent, I think it will make me feel better. I love this forum and have gotten to know some of you so wanted to post. Lost my dad today, he was a full on gear head, having many big block powered Chevies over the years, Donzi and more, all around great guy and this little boys hero forever.

Although he would never brag or boast, that is what I will do in his name today as my father has passed. They are not sure yet if it was a stroke or heart attack, he always had a strong heart and great blood pressure so we will learn more later. This is only a glimpse of who he was.....My father was a great man and he taught me how to be one. If I am a fraction as good as a dad as he was, I will be in great shape. He did the same for my brother, how to be a man, how to be a dad and care for others. He did the same with my sister, showing how to be a parent. He also taught how to be a business owner and salesperson. As a student he excelled with great grades, he also was a talented musician in the high school band all while being a standout athlete, particularly in hockey wherein if it were not for Vietnam he likely could have went all the way as some others in the family had. At 21 he left college, volunteering to go to Vietnam, he had wanted to fly but could not due to his color blindness, which later on turned out to be a gift (more on this later). He became a crew chief, rebuilding the helicopters in less than stellar conditions, which of course was in between flying reconnaissance missions. As an expert marksman he served as a doorgunner in the First Air Cavalry and also spent a lot of times in the jungle with the LRRPs, and Australian SAS. He endured horrific things during and after Vietnam and thanks to family and friends especially his best friend who is my mom. Together they did quite well in life. A few years back was diagnosed with both diabetes and parkinsons - both of which were due to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam. For those who knew him, he didn't let that slow him down. His greatest pride was in the family he raised and was a part of. He put three of us three of us through college, he was there at every turn to help us and share in the joy of life. The hard lessons he learned in Vietnam, gave him a unique perspective and one that enhanced his value of life and how important it was to find the joy in it. He was always quick to work on someones car or house as a favor. He was one of the most open minded people I have ever known. He didn't care what race someone was, what their religion was, if they were gay, straight or whatever, he took pride in knowing he served his country to maintain its freedom so that people could live in their own way whatever that may have been. He taught my brother, sister and I to be strong and by that he meant do not be afraid to speak out, do not be afraid to show emotion, make sure to always stay true to your word and to help out people in need. I will do my best as I know my family will in helping his little buddy Noah to fully understand the great and giving person that Big Grampy was, although I believe Noah is already fully aware of this.

Attached Files:

2. Consider yourself blessed with such a great man..... I'm sorry for your loss.......

3. wadietz

wadietz

Great to read about your Dad. Prayers for you and your family.

4. BC: Very sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad. Great thing is, you have wonderful memories of a great Dad....not everyone can say that. Be strong for those around you and don't be araid to holler at us. Tim

5. chris' 38

chris' 38

Sorry about your dad. Sounds like he was a great man. I'm glad you have a lot of good memories.

6. Sorry for your loss he's in a better place now. My dad also was a door gunner and mechanic on the helicopters. I'm just now in my mind 30's getting story's out of him about his service. Again Sorry for loss good to know your proud of your pop. God's speed.

7. mj40's

mj40's

Sorry to hear. The best thing you can do is tell his stories and let the memories flow! My dad is 96 and expect I will be doing the same shortly.

8. Thank you for sharing a small glimpse of your father with us. He sounds like he was an amazing man, and I will lift your family up in prayer as soon as I finish typing this message. As as HAMB'r, a gear head, and an Army pilot I am thankful for men like your father who paved the way for younger generations in so many ways.

9. cavman

cavman

From another 1st Cav doorgunner....You have my heartfelt sympathy. May He Rest in Peace.
    Garry Owen.....(He'd understand)

10. My condolences. Sounds like a great guy.

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences on the loss of your Dad, who sounds like he was also your friend, very cool indeed. You will pay tribute to him throughout the rest of your life by emulating what he taught you about how to raise your family and how to treat other people. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family as you deal with your sorrow.

12. May God hold you and your family close during this time of loss.

13. thank you guys, he was a real great guy, so sudden and shocking...I know we dont get to pick when we go...he was pretty well known in New England street racing in the 60's and was pretty big into oval track, had good success and fun with that locally.

14. Thoughts and prayers from Montana. Sorry for your loss.

15. Condolences from Minnesota. I too was exposed to Agent Orange, a terrible time in our country's history.

16. As I opened this thread, Bob Dillon started up on the radio singing, Knockin on heavens door.
    Seemed appropriate, then reading about your Dad, there was enough similarities to my Dad and his passing (1986), that it brought a tear to my eye.
    Sorry for your loss, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Very sorry to hear of you losing your dad. I know how hard it is to lose a parent, take one day at a time.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

All we can do as Fathers is hope we turn out good children and set good examples for them. It sounds like your Dad did that and a lot more. Make him proud.

So sorry for your loss. :(

Don

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry for your loss, prayers going out to your family and friends. Lost my Dad back in 1983, think of him every day. Bob

20. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Sorry for your loss. Glad to see your dad was involved with his grandson. Precious moments.

21. bubba55

bubba55

Tim sorry for your loss - know your pain too - sounds like the good Lord couldn't blessed you better with parents - honor him everyday with your life.
    mike

22. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Remember all the good times and celebrate your Dad's life. Heaven has gained another gearhead.
    All the best to you and your family Boston Camaro.
    Your dad sounds like a great guy, thanks for sharing his story with us.

23. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

i'm so sorry for your loss, and i want to say that was a wonderful testimony that you wrote
    about him. its men like him that make us proud to be an american and we believe that the good lord
    will renite us all in eternity . god bless you and your family.

24. Very sorry. You've written a nice tribute to him. Hope you and your Family find peace.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. sunnycali

sunnycali
    from california

:(sorry for your lose my friend , prayers from california to you and yours.

26. Sorry, man.
    Gonna call my parents today.
    And do something with my son, too

27. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

What a wonderful tribute to your dad. I'm sorry for your loss.

28. chrome

chrome
    from melbourne

Condolences from across the pond mate.

29. BC, so sorry for your loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.