Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Drag Strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

..some of us almost did...:eek:

2. pdc

pdc

Sounds like a helluva story behind that comment.

3. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

More Pix from Green Valley, years unknown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BobG

BobG

Green Valley is gone now but Did you know that NHRA Starter Rick Stewart lives on the property that looks over the old track.

5. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I recently discovered that I have a 5 minute 8mm reel of film
    that I shot at the '65 AHRA Nationals at Greenvalley. It was
    in questionable condition (trying to stick together) so I took
    it to a film copy/restore company of unknown capability to
    get it copied to DVD.
    The result was disapointing but you can still make out some
    of the action...dragsters...B/G Anglia of my best friend one
    Jesse Measles and partner James Beach from Dallas.
    I would be willing to send this film to someone who is a pro
    for restoration if I can be convinced they are legitimate.
    This is a real piece of history for us if anybody knows how
    to preserve it.
    BTW,anybody who has not seen it would enjoy checking out
    Paul Herdez's "themonthlyiron.blogspot.com/"
    or "hechointexas.blogspot.com"
    for historical Texas drag stuff.

6. BlackRat 40 let me talk to my brother . he is an assistant teacher at TC College in the Radio -Video dept. He also has a business that if I am not mistaken he specialize in Transfers.
    Anybody remember the Old Richland Hills Drag Strip ( 56-59/60??)
    also I have pieces( Asphalt) of the GreenValley Race track at my shop

7. Herdez, the dairy farm that you refered to is what becme Green Vally RaceWay. My mom grew up Bill ( I think I always heard him called Jay Y) and I attend the first races there( still a Dairy Farm at the time) but never heard any thing about the McClure's owning another drag strip.

8. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Paul! The planets must be aligned!
    I'm the guy who just committed to buying your Chevy 6 sidecover! My daughter is coming by to get it for me.
    Let me know if your bro can salvage the film for ALL of us.
    A good bit of the film is viewable but there are splotches
    on about 50% of it that could likely be removed by a very
    careful professional.
    I ran a BEXP/GD at the nat's and thought some of it was on
    this film but can't make it out.
    This film NEEDS to be saved !!

9. I raced with a guy named Fred Tate Nats. 65' with a 56' chevy but can't remember what class we ran. The Following year of 66 I just missed the Nats with the delivery of my new 67'Camaro which I still own. Of course I raced the last race there. I will go out one day and shoot some pictures of where the strip was.

10. Someone asked about Mich. dragstrips I believe. I picked the following up at a forum I belong to. I haven't had the time to check it out but I know there are closed as well as open tracks there.

Tons of photos and information on Michigan Racing History. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/default.asp

Top Right Side: Click on: Drag Strips - 13, and Motor Speedways - 188.

Left Side: Auto Racing (under the orange banner) : Click on: John G's Dragstrip Memories, Dragstrips, Motor Speedways, Latest Speedway Pics, and Cars and Drivers.

Left Side: Boat Racing (under the blue banner) : Click on: Hydroplane Racing.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

11. NONHOG

NONHOG

1st post ! I moved to Puyallup Wa. in late 89 and did a little mountain biking (back when there where still some trails) came across Puyallup Raceway by accident all overgrown and had a trailer parked near the track.

It was cool and sad at the same time, most of my racing memories were from what was S.I.R. in Kent. Still there as Pacific Raceways.
    Cool site just signed on today !

http://www.exit133.com/366/old-school-tacoma-car-scene

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  12. BobG

BobG

Next time you go take a look again, Midstate Dragway in Havana has changed quite a bit from the 70's and 80's and even the 90's, they have new restrooms with running water, scoreboards, concrete walls, all new lighting, all new chain link fences, new style timing system.

The new drag strip in Minonk IL was a real deal, they had the deal made for the land and the OK from the city and the locals.
    Problem was the guy with all the plan to do it had no money...
    After he got the OK on everything and got everyone all excited he started looking for investors.

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks for the memories ...
    Here's one of of me and 'Jake The Starter' back in 75 -80's glory daze! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  14. Herdez

Herdez

It would be nice to know. The info I posted was referenced from a San Antonio news paper article written bout a year or so (Double Eagle Dragstrip). I always wondered if there was a relation beteween the 2 tracks....same owners??

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Yes! The first drag race I ever went to was at Puyallup Dragways. In fact, I was walking thru the pits/staging lanes, and the friend that brought me pulls me out of the way of a pickup truck being driven by a bearded, ragged looking guy; almost ran me down; turned out it was Jerry Ruth. And, now Puyallup Dragway is Thun Field. Usually old airports became dragstrips, not the other way around. If you look at the airport guides, it's surprising how few airplanes actually base at an airport. You'd think they would do everything they could to supliment their revenue (and @#$% the FAA!). Butch/56sedandelivery.

Many years ago I went out to Arlington Airport to the runway the dragstrip had been on. The tire rubber was still burned onto the asphalt, start and finish lines were still visible. From the air you can still see the burned in rubber. And it just sits there now, degrading away; there are holes that go on forever through the asphalt. At least The Arlington Dragstrip Reunion, for the last 4 years or so, keeps it's memory alive.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  16. fanspete

fanspete

Bob, doesn't Kenny Shrader(sp?) own I-55? You would think he would be into any kind of racing, and fire that puppy up!

17. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

Didn't know that their was another US 30. That would make sense I guess. The only US 30 that I ever knew existed was in Thomasville PA. It had most of the top East Coast Gassers running it, and some left coast and midwest folks. I don't know the range of years it was open, but it closed after I was born, and as long as I can remember it's been an airport. My late uncle ran it. I'm not disputing your info. It is just a suprise. Thanks for the new info.

18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

You might want to check this event out!
    http://www.yorkus30.com/

[​IMG]
    Dick Brannan ... York US 30 (return road) Summer '63

19. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I have photos of Double Eagle now... KB Homes as far as you can see. There is still part of the track there though. I'll try to dig up the photos.

This first photo is Clear Springs Dragway near New Braunfels...it's now the New Braunfels Municipal Airport.

Second Photo is the CKC Dragster at Six Flags Dragway in Victoria...

check out www.sixflagsdragway.com for some cool photos...

Attached Files:

20. I like that avatar car of yours

21. thanx for the pics of 75-80 but they are bittersweet. i started going in 1960, my dad and uncles raced the "bounty hunters" dodges there forever. and i raced a 63 409 impala from 76 to the last day. here are pics from the last race ever at "75 and 80 dragaway" oct 30 2005

Attached Files:

22. BobG

BobG

You have never heard of US 30 Dragstrip outside of Gary Indiana?
    It was the heart of the Coca Cola Cavalcade of Stars Funny Car Curcuit during the 70's.
    It was the hottest match race track in the midwest,

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!! At whalin US 30 Dragstrip......
    Where the great one's run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. BobG

BobG

Yea Kenny owns it, I wonder if they would consider it, the track is still there along with the tower, staging lanes and pits, the place is real clean and when you drive by the place looks like it's still in operation but it's been closed sense the mid 90's.

24. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Man we talk about this ALL the time. I think it is a go rcart track now. It is only about 15 minutes from my house. We would be there every sunday.

25. BobG

BobG

Pevely was a nice track in it's day, I remember running our funny car there in the mid 70's and over in the weeds behind the staging lanes was a 68 Barracuda Funny Car body in real nice condition.
    The track manager said they were going to make a sign out of it.

26. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Funny car at Pevely. Hows the sand trap??

27. BobG

BobG

I've ran two different funny cars there.... two chutes.... no problem.

I've had more problems at the track up here then I ever had at Pevely

Attached Files:

28. fanspete

fanspete

Damn, Bob, you sure do mount your bodies funny:D:eek:

29. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Forgive me if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly the floods of '93 did alot of damage to the I-55 drag strip and it never opened again after that. I never made it up there.

I hate to here that Gateway canceled their bracket program I never raced there but regardless its not good for the sport. Well if all else fails all you Gateway guys can track down south to Sikeston its only 1/8th mile but its a decent place to play.

There was a dragstrip here (Poplar Bluff Mo.) in the 60s not much chance that there are any pics floating around out there but I'd love to see them if they are, it was a little before my time. If I can remember I'll swing by there tomorrow not much to be seen but its definatly a clear straight shot through the trees.

30. mdblackout

mdblackout
    from maryland

Man I miss 75-80. My father in law tried to buy it, but the only way to keep it going was if the owner had stake in the company and he didnt want any part of it(atleast what I was told) James you dont remember me but every friday at 75-80 I would bug you about your s-10. I had an airbag boner at the time. that place was good times.