Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Bill Hines Car to debut at Billetproof Michigan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop, May 16, 2011.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well since the current owner is a HAMB guy, but a lurker with 0 posts, he just might go for it. Might be a GREAT winter project for HAMB members in the Metro Detroit area. The current owner has a very large shop in the Dearborn area. I'll approach him with the idea on Friday night and discuss with other HAMB members at the show on Saturday and see how many are truely interested in donating their time and effort. I could document the build on the HAMB. This could be fun.

2. weez

weez

It would be cool to see the original restored with all the right stuff, the second Bat from 10 years ago was based on my old '51 6cyl. coupe, that my Dad traded to Bill for a '27 Roadster. The second car had a bit of a wide track to it, because of the GM chassis, (and the steering wheel, if I remember!) so it's kind of a modern version. Seems like the new owner would have to use LEAD, and maybe get bill to do it!

3. 'Mo

'Mo

That's it, TwoChops. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    l

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. 'Mo

'Mo

Oops! Somehow I missed Centurion9's post on page 2. Sorry! :eek:

5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

This custom is neat simply because it was done back in the day when customs were wild! I hope there are plans to finish her, looking at the car more closely to remove some of the custom touches that were done by the last owner... That body line just below the rear of the bat wing should go!!! Just my 2 cents...

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Yep and the top had been cut off, which is why it has a "stock" top on it now, someone added it on...

7. Squablow

Squablow

That is all great news. Would love to see the car get restored to it's first original, unscalloped version. It deserves it. And condition wise, it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. I figured since it was deemed "unrestorable" that it'd be totally trashed. I've fixed way worse cars than that.

Great to know it's in the hands of someone who really cares for it. I'm even grateful to the "flipper" who found it, got it away from the previous, neglectful owner, and resold it without changing anything.

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

9. It's growing on me a bit, that nose might work better if the whole thing was sectioned 4 or 6 inches, and I would have put some kind of hardtop roof on it instead of the stocker.

We have a replica of the original, so why not finish this one as the second owner intended, except with a steel hardtop instead of a bubble? I can't picture a bubble that would look right, unless it was kind of like the one that came in the old Monogram 55 Chevy kit - which was more or less the same shape as an original roof rather than a big bubble.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s the side shot of the 56 Ford.

Attached Files:

11. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

With all due respect to Mr Hines, God he had Bad taste in design ... the first bat has a really nice looking front end , And then This look... :(

12. shboom

shboom
    from dearborn

this is the real car confirmed by teddy z & bill hines

13. shboom

shboom
    from dearborn

yes i have have the real car

14. shboom

shboom
    from dearborn

this might take all night to discuss

15. shboom

shboom
    from dearborn

kustoms are kool

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I wish you all the luck with it

17. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

isnt it crazy what happened to some of the great customs? sounds like it is in good hands. Hope to see a rebuild in the near future..

18. Guys/Girls....For me, part of the magic that is Hot Rods and Customs is "historical context"....When I first saw Bill White Pearl 55/56 Ford with the Black Hair Interior at a Car Show in Milwaukee about 1961, I was dumbstruck! At the time, I didn't know as a 14 year old kid what it was, or what a "Bill Hines" was either. The car was etched in my mind as about the Wildest Custom car I had ever seen and I was stunned! I was a Car Kid and I loved the Radical thing I was looking at!! Today, I don't get it at all.....Perspective changes. I still love to see some of those early cars and have a whole list of them in my head that today look rediculous to me now...but sent me out of my mind 50 years ago. There will be critiques of many cars built today on the HAMB sometime in the future. It might be a good idea to show a little grace today, before your ride gats raked over the coals 20 years from now. It's all good, it's all cool, it's all about Custom cars......Enjoy the History....Centurion9

[​IMG]

19. rougebeats

rougebeats

That speed shop was just recently sold (approx 2-3 months ago) and they were gutting the place out. Some transvestite bought half of the speed shop to make his attached lingere store bigger :(

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I have to agree w/ you. Although this car really looks funny, the fact that Bill hInes, but could be anyone really being that its a 50 year old custom, makesit intresting and relevant, personal taste is another thing.

Now, about the gorilla fur interior....any pictures?

21. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not a big fan of the Mata Hari myself...(I think it was named that in the beginning?)...it's like an ugly chick...turn of the lights and it gets awesome:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well aren't you a smooth talker.:rolleyes::p Part of the evening will be spent discussing how to quote here so folks know who/what your comment is regarding.;)

See ya tomorrow night.:cool:

23. I wonder if Hines had anything to do with this car, discussed in some
    earlier posts (Feb 07)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  24. Choptop

Choptop

Not that I know of. That is a car attributed to Barris. It was at Billetproof Michigan last year. It may show up again this year too :D

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Same guy, Mr Shboom, owns both.

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Next year maybe Billetproof just needs to be held on Bob's property. :D
    In my opinion, I'd rather see him bring the Golden Sunrise, thats my favorite that he owns.

27. Rikster

Rikster

Not going to steal this thread... just want to get the records straight.
    There was one photo of the gold 55 Chevy in the Barris big book... but that does not make it a Barris Custom the car was owned and built by Robert Horn of Cincinnati Ohio. Barris had nothing to do with that.

28. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That is very well put.............That car is unreal. I like it especially the shot posted with it's lights on in the dark.

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This is a beautiful picture...suddenly it all makes sense.:cool:.kinda.

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The car showed up at the BilletProof Detroit kick off get together in Depot Town tonight. Bob made a couple of slow passes thru town. Was very cool to see in person. Looking forward to a close up inspection of the car tomorrow in the park.

(believe it or not I forgot my camera tonight!!!:eek: )