Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lost Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tinmann

tinmann

My dear ol' Dad was an old school sign painter. As a kid, I remember being able to recognize his work on buildings and trucks around Winnipeg, where I was born and raised. At one point, he also worked for the local 7UP factory. Every delivery truck and pop cooler was hand painted. I remember when he began silk screen printing and suddenly it seemed like he had left the darks ages and had mass production at his fingertips. When I was able, I'd be there to take the newly screened signs and place them on racks to dry. Two and three color work was a little slow because he have little cardboard registration blocks to keep things aligned.

One clear memory I have is at the end of each day, he'd nearly fill and coffee can with lacquer thinner and methodically clean each of his brushes. He was always very particular how they were cleaned so as to not break off the hairs. Once clean, he'd massage motor oil into the hairs and place each in its place in his carrying case. Then he'd dip his hands into the lacquer thinner and give himself a scrub to the elbows........ yikes!!!!

Thanks Ryan. You brought back some neat memories.

2. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Powerful film, Ryan!

As I was growing up in New Jersey, my uncle was a sign painter. I would sit and watch him painting for hours at a time, and he would always explain what he was doing and why... he'd explain the difference between a quill and a fitch... he'd share his thoughts on color and balance... He had a love and a passion for the craft and I guess he felt like it was his duty to share it with anyone that showed an interest. At the time, all I really wanted to do was work on cars, but I was so intrigued by his work, I'd hang on his every word. Every now and then he would let me pull a line or two and he'd chuckle as I would struggle with holding the grey quill as I'd pallet the turps into the One-Shot and then attempt to do what I'd just watched him doing so effortlessly. All during this time, I honestly didn't realize that I was learning a lot of the basics from a true master craftsman, but later I found out that I had.

I joined the Army right out of high school and after 6 years, I got out and went to work at a body shop. I started painting signs on the side and really got into it. Before long I was making more at night than I was at the body shop, so I went full time into the sign business. One of the neatest conversations I guess I've ever had was when I called my Uncle Don and told him that I had opened a sign shop down in Georgia. The year was 1978. He was 83 years old and still painting nearly every day. He said "Did ya learn anything while you were hanging around my shop?" Of course I told him that I had and then he encouraged me to always be willing to share with anyone that would show an interest because even as early as the late 70's, he seemed to know that hand-painting signs was on the way out. Over the years I have had the pleasure of helping probably 30-35 guys (and 3 gals) to develop the craft and it has truly been rewarding.

Thanks so much for sharing such a film that really touches the heart and soul of the craft.

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I forgot I hadnt posted this pic yet!:eek: This is in Boston's (MA) theatre district...some of you guys may of known this area as the "Combat Zone"!:D

[​IMG]

4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

there are a bunch of building with old signs painted on them here in tulsa...a develper got into trouble for painting over them...i thing they are now protected...

5. scottb356

scottb356

I ran across this panel in a local yard last weekend and thought it was appropriate to this thread

[​IMG]

6. 35cab

35cab

Glad this post has resurfaced. That film is just beautiful, sort of heartbreaking in a way. Since first seeing it last year I have watched it so many times, showed it to students at Art School where I teach, more importantly showed it to my dad, my hero who is a semi retired signwriter.
    This film really brings home the skills we may end up losing, hats of to those guys.
    Thanks Ryan for bringing this to my attention.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

one of my favorite "haunts", downtown Los Angeles on a weekend when many areas are empty....it makes me sit and think about what a bustling area it must have been in, say, the 1930's....jus regular folks going to work, making friends and a paycheck, week after week...

January, 2011

[​IMG]

8. Ob1

Ob1

Reminds me of the fellow who taught me my craft, paint and body. I'll never forget his favorite phrase, "You're lookin' but your not seein'!"

Things got tight economically, and he left to manage a big shop, leaving me with the account we had serviced together for about 5 years.

Two months later, he was gone...At his memorial service, I ran into many of his past students, never knew anything about them, but I was proud to have been his last student.

Godspeed Challis, I miss you...

9. I am very glad I ran across this...My Dad and my Uncle Joe are both old signpaiinters and my Uncle Joe went on to become a successful graphic artist designing logos for the Fortune 500 and my Dad moved on to become a Civil Engineer. However, he still made some nice pocket change on the side creating, carving and painting signs. It was so cool to walk one of my Dad's signs as a kid that I saw come together in his shop. He also made a pretty penny for himself by doing large scale architectural art for building projects as they went up...I can still see him painting each brick by brick, tile by tile...Great video, great passion and talent. I am always amazed at people that can paint beautifully on terrible surfaces. Thanks for sharing...

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Man Ryan where do you find this kinda stuff? I've always wondered how they did those huge drawings now I'm a little more hip on it. I've always appreciated artists, they amaze me in whatever medium they are using and this comes from a guy that can hardly write his own name! Got any more. Oh, did the millionaire see it and what did he think? I'm not suprised that he doesn't understand traditional hotrodding. I think you have to be exposed to it and work in it with your hands to really appreciate it and that kinda goes for anything. Example: How can a person appreciate great metal work if he's never picked up a welder and grinder? Thanks.

11. This video was great and I like how you related it to loving old traditional Hot rods and keeping them going.I like how the one painter says " There still are a few of us out there keeping it going." This is how I felt when I was deciding on which engine to run when it was time to do my mercury.This is why I decided to go with a period mill on my car and not the quick typical way so I could just hurry and get back on the road even though I know the other way is quicker and cheaper,I was ready to be patient and go thru what it would take to get it finished how I wanted.
    Anyway....... thanks for the video Ryan and I think its a great metaphor for how you felt about your neighbor.

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

There is no better way to learn the art of sign painting or pinstripping then from an "Old Master"

The tricks and layout they can show you are priceless!!! Just learning how to care for your brushes the right way.

I really don't know how to explain it but I can look at old barn buildings with ads on their side and murals painted on them all day long and I always learn something each time.

I think it is a shame when we choose not to remember our past because the people who created these works of art were very talented artists.

I remember years ago when a friend of mine told me he was going to cain a car and I had no idea what he was talking about but I asked if I could watch him and he said yes.

When he was done with the side of an old station wagon the entire side of the car looked just like the cainning on the back of an old chair.

Watching this artist do this was better then going to any college I can think of and I was truly grateful that he was willing to just let me watch and show me what he was doing.

He traveled to collectors garages all over the country where he would cain their old cars.

I have been blessed with meeting people like this my entire life who were willing to take the time and show you the right way of doing things.

Jimbo

13. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Here is a couple of pics I took this spring. As you can see, a condo development has since covered over the 7-UP sign. Too bad... Maybe 100 years from now they will 'find' it again.

Attached Files:

14. goetzcr

goetzcr

I just found this thread from the Knife Maker thread. Anyway someone wrote about stickering on cars vs. hand painting. I took these two pics at the Jalopyrama a few weeks back. I really thought the Rat Fink was a (very high quality) sticker until I got up close. Very impressive.

Attached Files:

15. goetzcr

goetzcr

Oops.. forgot. I was also impressed with this faux woodgrain handywork.

Attached Files:

16. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Came in to post something like this, but grego already stated it better than I could.