Register now to get rid of these ads!

History LOST: An Old Dragster and Truck - Houston Edition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobrakesneeded, Jun 2, 2015.

1. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

This car was built in 1957 by Phillip Miles and Don Mattisen in Phillip's single car garage. Tuning passes were made on the street in front of the family home. When the car was built, an Anglia front axle and wheels were used, the rear wheels were from AJ Foyt via his dad. The engine was a "warranty" 283 block from Jimmy Green Chevrolet. As it was believed a green dragster was bad luck, the car was painted blue.
    [​IMG]
    In 1960, Phillip relinquished his partnership in the car to start raising a family.

Don continued with the car trying injected setups and giving a go with fuel once or twice. A new partner was found, the front wheels were changed to wires and a new white/red paint job was applied.
    [​IMG]
    After losing his wife of 60 years, his high school sweetheart, recently, Phillip has decided to try to locate the car.

I spent the last three days looking at the drag cars in motion thread here and actually came up with this picture...
    [​IMG]
    Looking at the cars in the background, I believe this is about 1965.
    If you know of this car, where it is or have pictures please post them up. An old hotrodder would definitely appreciate it.

Also attached is Phillips old 34 Ford that was sold in the late '70s. The truck had a 283 with a hydramatic. The truck was painted green and last he recalls was still in Houston.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and gwhite like this.
  2. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

3. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

4. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

How's about a three month bump?

5. My old man, uncle, and grandpa ran with some of the S.E. Texas hot rod pioneers from 1945 onwards...Dear gramps has passed, but the ol' man and his older brother are still kicking (and driving/building hot rods)....I'll ask & see what they know.

S.E. Texas had a fairly good crop of hot rods/rodders; would be nice to honor their achievements.