Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost '36 3wd Custom - Anyone Ever Seen It?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Harrison, Jul 15, 2013.

1. 20 years ago a couple of friends told me "you need to go look at this old car on the side of the road". Of course, I went to check it out. It was on the side of highway 51 in west Tennessee somewhere near Newbern and Dyersburg.

For a number of reasons (I was broke, it was pretty rough, it was SO FAR customized, I thought it was ugly as a man's ass, etc......) I didn't even bother asking if it was for sale. I don't know how long it was there before I saw it or how long it might have been there after these photos were taken. It did not appear to have ever been actually finished and on the road as a "done" custom.

Now I wonder - Who built it? Where did it come from? Where did it go? Where is it now?...... and probably the biggest question: Can I find it and buy it?

Anyone ever seen this car? I figured if anyone has seen it they would probably remember it.

TIA, Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Maverick Daddy like this.
  2. It is a little man assish.......but I wonder if the Pinto is still there :).

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like it....I don't recognize it but I like it.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Like it or not, that's a lot of serious metal work not to mention the sectioning. Condition wise I've seen worse that have been saved. Look at Mercury Mitch's coupe.

5. kscarguy

kscarguy

'That car is systematic, it's hydromatic...why it's greased lightning!'

6. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Probably because of rear end or something reminds me famous El Matador by Cushenbery. Maybe builder got some inspiraton from that ?..

7. I think I would remember that if I saw it:rolleyes:

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Door tops might be useful for something...

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

It does have possibilities. Cut all the unsightly trash and replace it with 36 parts.

10. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Looks cool and wonder if it was ever finished? Rikster may be able to help.

bubba55 likes this.
  11. There's a fine line between "can" and "should". That car just crossed it. You were right 20 years ago, and it is STILL ugly.

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thanks for posting the pics. That is interesting.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good lord, that's ugly.

14. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

its defiantly interesting

15. Nobey

Nobey

Never ran across this one, but I can't quit looking at it.

16. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Something about it says buy me. Hope you find it. Again.

17. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

It looks alot like a car I saw in about '82 in Kansas City by a old shop not far from the sports stadiums. I remember it was in really rough shape but still really cool in a odd sort of way. I cant really remember the front end but I do remember it having tail fins like that. Someone told me that they thought that shop was Doug Thompson's place but I dont know if he built or it just ended up there. I can check with a few guys that know Doug a little better and may remember the car.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  18. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

I'd like to see it photoshopped lowered. It's kind of interesting.

19. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Like it or not you have to appreciate the effort that went into all of that steel work.
    Somebody spent a lot of time on this car to get it to that point. If it were done true 50's style in beige with gold metalflake striping it could have real appeal.

I'm likin' those free willy flopped over dorsal fins...

The rear wheels look like the early Holman Moody nascar rims I've been searching for.

20. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it....of course, I like door knob grilles and liberal uses of white. I like customs, and many radical ones at that. I do reserve the right to say I've seen some nasty-assed cars. That being said, this is not one of them. I would finish it. Good or bad, it represents history.

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With any luck at all, it rusted away and returned to the earth.

Burn the photos and let's pretend it never existed............ :D

22. it's art damit....or a build if you will....if it made it to a show and was something-maybe a winner.....every one would love it....and be looking for it......

hope it's found - I'm not really an artsy type (like the o'lady) but that would look cool finished out....

23. The back reminds me of the El Matator, the side view some of that and some of... what was that sectioned 36 5-window with the tall eggcrate grille and quad lights?

The nose, though, I don't know. Maybe if it was lowered and had a bumper on it....

But you could easily combine it with a 2-door sedan and another deck lid and get a stock 3-window body back out of it, as far as that goes.

24. Squablow

Squablow

I've never seen it before, but I like it. It's got a cool mid 60's show rod vibe. I hope some history or location of it comes out.

25. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Funny!

I guess I'm glad it was lost.

26. looks like Tow Maters girlfriend or ugly sister

27. skinnydude

skinnydude

Very unique piece I must agree !!!

28. fleet-master

fleet-master

apart from the 'floppy ears' looking fins and the actual grille opening i LOVE it. That's got serious potential.

Got to agree with stillrunners on this 'un...if it had won shows or was attributed to one of the big name early customisers...well you know. Does remind me a lot of the Bob Crespo coupe.

I hope it gets found and finished but probably a long shot now

29. I wonder if the Diamond T is still there.

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If nothing else that could park in my shop just for the conversation it would generate.
    I have a friend that is an ace metal man and I sure would like to turn him loose on that to see what he would come up with.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.