Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Loss of Friends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deathrowdave, Jan 28, 2023.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

5D08ACBA-C27D-4591-9DE7-A59FCF2AED18.jpeg I lost a true friend today . 82 year old VietNam USN Vet . He was a true Hot Rodder all his life . Many Rods , Bikes and his Colors still hanging in the den. His 34 my 32 wasting some Spare Time .

Damn it somethings are not fair . RIP my friend , my thoughts and prayers will remain with you till we meet again .

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry for your loss may he RIP

3. It's tough. Sorry for your loss.

Ron Funkhouser and osage orange like this.

4. Sorry for your loss, it can be difficult to deal with. The problem is as we get older, the experience gets more frequent and that really sucks. :(

5. I too lost a friend of more than 50 years Wednesday afternoon, he too was a veteran and a life long hot rodder.

earl was a life long mechanic and helped me out ,any times with hot rods and daily drivers, he was also a honest & fair man, Goodbye Earl. HRP

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lost one of my best friends who was far more big brother to me than friend along with his folks treating me and mine like their own a few years ago. Many West coast Rodders knew him (Ron Moore from Washington state) My other buddy is in the dementia unit of a local nursing home and often doesn't recognize you when you show up.
    Sad to hear about your friend, we are loosing too many of the older rodders lately.

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sorry for your loss! Nothing said can express your feelings! On our local funeral service on the net, they list six people……last week I knew five of them! Just a sign of our times!

Bones

8. Deuces

Deuces

9. So very sorry @deathrowdave. You were fortunate to have him for a friend and I'm sure you made his life better along the way. Rest well.

10. Just.dale

Just.dale

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, buddy. :(

It's hard.
    We're with you.

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a lot of people but have very few friends. The pain of losing a friend is much different than the passing of an acquaintance. I'm sorry for your loss.

13. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Please accept my condolences on your loss. So tough to loose someone close to us. So many if the posts bear witness to the importance of today and now in our relationships.

correction: my sympathies and condolences to all who’ve lost dear friends and family members.

14. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

It has been a shit month, I lost a Viet Nam brother and the passing of Jeff Beck still won't leave my head. They both were the same age as me. I've had a long lucky run myself and if it was over tomorrow I would still feel I have been blessed beyond words.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to you, and all of his friends - especially his Family. most all of us have had to deal with Family and friends death or serious illness - never easy. just shows that you have to get your ride out of the garage and drive 'em while you can.

16. ...the older we all get, the more this happens,. .best wishes to you and all who knew him.

Ron Funkhouser and 1940Willys like this.
  17. hepme

hepme

Lost my service bud over 2 years ago. We did car shows, drags, rod runs, etc. together. Had a huge drag race against each other at a nostalgia drag event---big money on the line (not one, but TWO cups of McDonald's senior coffee's!) --I won and still have the receipt, used to show it to him just to jab him. Each veteran's day, at dusk, i mix a strong drink and go to the garage to salute him and think about times past. If you have someone similar to this you should thank your lucky stars--Nothing lasts forever.

18. Very sorry for your loss. :(

19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I am going to the funeral home today to the viewing for a long time old car buddy that I lost this week. He was 81 years old and still building cars and pickups when he was able. Even though he was a dyed in the wool Ford guy am I am all about GM we were friends for over 50 years, he was a great guy and we had a bunch of fun over the years. He will be missed!

20. partssaloon

partssaloon

Saw this thread when it started and have a hard time replying. Lost my long time traveling buddy on New Years day, Don Sauberan who built some of the most highly detailed 32 Fords, and others. Last year between friends, club members and relatives lost 23.

21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. The more someone's companionship is valued, the greater the loss is felt when they are gone.
    Your post is a tribute to your friend. May he rest in peace.

23. Driver50x

Driver50x

This stuff is tough to deal with. This week I lost a longtime friend also, to cancer. He was an excellent painter, body man and all around car guy. He was only 51.

osage orange and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  24. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lost ALL my car buddies to various things while we were still in our 50s.

I feel your pain.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it is always sad to lose a buddy, but 82 years is pretty good run in my book. be thankful for the good times you had together.

26. Sorry for your loss. I fully understand, having lost a long time hotrod buddy last year to Alzheimer’s.

27. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Sorry to hear. It is always hard to have this happen and many times you often find it hits you harder than you thought it would. I've had this happen a lot lately and I try to focus on the fact that I was grateful that person was a part of my life story and that you most likely meant a lot to them as well.

28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.
    The Loss of friends is never easy to accept.
    Be thankful for all of the years that you knew him and all of the good times you shared with him.
    FLYING PISTON (2).JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023