Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Lorry's Surprise" - A Survivor Story

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMI32, Nov 12, 2020.

1. @Lorry Azevedo's 1929 Model A Roadster appeared in the April 1959 issue of ROD & Custom magazine:

1959 April - ROD & Custom - cover.jpg

... in a two-page feature article entitled "Lorry's Surprise":

1959 April - ROD & Custom - pages 22 & 23.jpg

2. A few years (& modifications) later, Lorry showed his '29 Roadster at the 1962 Oakland Roadster Show ... aka the 14th Annual Grand National Roadster Show:

1962 GNRS - Official Souvenir Program - cover.jpg
    1962 GNRS - Lorry Azevedo's Entry Listing in the Official Souvenir Program.jpg
    Here's the only photo I could find of the roadster at the '62 show:

1962 GNRS - Lorry Azevedo's '29 Roadster.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  3. Yesterday (Wednesday, November 11th), @R&C RON Brooks took his '40 Chevy Custom out for a drive to the North Bay ... and this morning, Ron posted (on Facebook) about of his Veterans Day outing:

2020 November 11th - Hat Racing and Speed Shop - by Ron Brooks (1).jpg
    2020 November 11th - Hat Racing and Speed Shop - by Ron Brooks (2).jpg
    2020 November 11th - Hat Racing and Speed Shop - by Ron Brooks (3).jpg
    all images by @R&C RON

2020 November 11th - Lorry Azevedo's '29 Roadster - by Ron Brooks (1).jpg
    2020 November 11th - Lorry Azevedo's '29 Roadster - by Ron Brooks (2).jpg
    2020 November 11th - Lorry Azevedo's '29 Roadster - by Ron Brooks (3).jpg
    2020 November 11th - Lorry Azevedo's '29 Roadster - by Ron Brooks (4).jpg
    2020 November 11th - Lorry Azevedo's '29 Roadster - by Ron Brooks (5).jpg
    2020 November 11th - Lorry Azevedo's '29 Roadster - by Ron Brooks (6).jpg
    all images by @R&C RON

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

You've got my interest :)

dsiddons and loudbang like this.

5. Not enough information in place holders :D

6. And those dang Chrysler wires still look good ! Thanks for sharing....

7. Love this kind of story!!!!

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  8. On a sidenote:

You might have noticed the "Wally" in Lorry's office ...

In the early '70s, Lorry drove John Kinsel's "DRUMMER" Camaro A/FC ... winning the '72 NHRA Summernationals against Bob Durbin (driving the JEGS A/FC) with a record setting E.T. of 7.34 seconds.

In '74, Lorry bought the car from Kinsel and campaigned it as the "DRUMMER" BB/FC.

The "DRUMMER" Camaro funny car is obviously O/T for the H.A.M.B. ... but his FED certainly isn't:

Stoke & Azevedo dragster at Half Moon Bay.jpg
    The Stoke & Azevedo dragster at Half Moon Bay
    photographer unknown

In the 1979 movie "More American Graffiti" (filmed at Fremont Drag Strip), Lorry & Rick Azevedo played members of the "factory" Hunt Bros. team:

MAG - Hunt Bros Team members - played by Rick & Lorry Azevedo.jpg MAG - Hunt Bros Team.jpg MAG - Hunt Bros Dragster (1).jpg MAG - Hunt Bros Dragster (2).jpg
    images from Don Ewald’s wediditforlove.com website

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Wow, what a story. I love it. Thanks for sending it along to your HAMB brothers.

loudbang and HEMI32 like this.
  10. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I am addicted to these kind of back stories.

loudbang, HEMI32 and RidgeRunner like this.
  11. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

A good one, thanks for taking the time to share.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This thread is the epitome of what the HAMB is all about!
    Thank you @HEMI32

Tony Martino and HEMI32 like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was a punk hanging around HAT back then, and got invited on a road trip with Lorry and the Drummer. It had no reverse (either broke or didn't have one, don't remember), and I helped push it back after the burnouts. Good times.

14. Lorry Azevedo later built a funny car, came back east and won a big meet at Englishtown, New Jersey. I went to his shop several years ago and found out that he had bought all of Woody Gilmore's equipment for building dragsters. While I was talking with Lorry, Woody Gilmore came out from the back of the shop. That was a double treat for me.

lurker mick and HEMI32 like this.
  15. Agreed! ... That's exactly why I asked @R&C RON if I could share his Facebook post.

But on a sad :( note ...

Starting this thread also reminded me how much I miss posts from the "older generation" Hot Rodders / Customizers (like @R&C RON) that no longer frequent the H.A.M.B. ... mostly because they tired of all the "negative aspects" of posting on this forum ... and instead have decided to just share their vintage photos & vast historical knowledge of our hobby on Instagram or Facebook.

I still keep in touch with dozens of my father's old hot rodding buddies ... gentlemen (now in their late '60s, '70s, & '80s) that have been Hot Rodders since the late '40s, the '50s, or the early '60s ... the same type of guys that @Ryan (in his Rules & Guidelines thread) encourages to be a part of the TJJ / H.A.M.B. "community":
    While I have had success in getting a few of these guys to join the H.A.M.B. ... the majority have declined (mostly because they are "computer illiterate" ... but also because of the "negative aspects" of posting on this forum).

Over the years, I've noticed that dozens (maybe hundreds) of these "Old Fart Hot Rodders" (some of them legendary builders and/or racers) join the H.A.M.B. only to lurk or make one post ... and never login again.

Case in point, @Lorry Azevedo joined the H.A.M.B. at the age of 73 ... posted twice (both one-liners) ... lurked for many years ... and hasn't logged in for over two years:

Lorry Azevedo HAMB profile.JPG
    Wouldn't it be great if Lorry posted in this thread about the '29 Roadster he's owned since 1951?

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I recalled the magazine story, "Lorry's Surprise" back then.
    My friend Jim 'Gomer' Gomes knew Lorry, Jim operated a shop in the '70s. (Fremont area)

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. Just another great, "I know a guy who knows a guy that..... I'm always amazed at the links we make.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Its cool that the roadster still survives in a recognizable form.
    Probably 25 years ago I saw the 50 Chevy that was on the cover of that R&C magazine parked next to a small auto repair shop in Boone Iowa. At the time I stopped and chatted to the shop guy about a 38 cabover truck that I was interested in and briefly about the Chevy. A few years later I realized I shoulda tried to buy the Chevy but by then it was gone. I wonder if it is still around and if it still looks like that.

loudbang likes this.
  19. As noted, Lorry is still going strong at 80 + years old. Went to his birthday party at his shop a year or so ago, he was tearing it up !!!

20. loudbang

loudbang

Great history story. Keep them coming. :)

21. R&C RON

R&C RON

Thanks Hemi32 for sharing Lorrys story. Its fun to visit the H.A.M.B. again , maybe I can share a few more stories in the Future!

bowie, HEMI32, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  22. Very cool story!

loudbang likes this.