Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Loostening Intake Manifold Bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EchoWars, Dec 27, 2019.

1. EchoWars

EchoWars

Might be my first post here, but TBO I've been reading for years. Glad to jump in!

Well, hey! I've got a Buick 225 odd-fire V6 that needed a valve job and a cam. Heads are back on and torqued, as well as the intake. So I'm preparing to put carb back on when I notice that the accelerator cable bracket actually utilizes the back two intake bolts!!!?

Its been apart for so long, not shocked I dropped the ball on that one. And although I've been fooling with engines for 40 years, can't say I've ever had a situation like this.

I was thinking of maybe loosening up ALL the bolts, removing the two that need to get removed to install the bracket, then re-torque the whole thing. Either that, or just totally spitball it and take out the two bolts, install bracket, and re-torque. I really do not want to pull the intake off. Nope, nope nope

(FWIW, intake gasket is a plane-Jane FelPro...RockAuto link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=125783&cc=1381227&jsn=8 , some sealer around the water passages, but otherwise installed dry)

So...what does the collective wisdom of H.A.M.B. think? I do appreciate your wisdom guys. Thanks!

2. I’ve run into this situation before with other o/t engines.
    Removed the offending bolt or two and installed whatever I forgot and problem solved dozens of times with no issue.
    I’ve also had it happen once on a gm 4.3 where I removed one intake bolt to install a ground strap and....... yup a leak.
    Two questions you need to ask yourself, how big a deal to re and re the intake now?
    How big a deal to re and re the intake once everything is in and bolted in the car ?

loudbang likes this.
  3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Just remove those two bolts install the bracket and retorque the bolts. Nothing bad will happen

vtx1800, Desoto291Hemi and Hnstray like this.
  4. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Oldsman is correct...just pull the two bolts,reinstall and tighten. No problem. Done it hundreds of times.

Terry

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Congrats on the Buick 225 odd fire V6. I have used several of them in project vehicles back in the early ‘70s where they were the best fit for repowering with limited space. Rugged engines, but they would wear out the stock timing gears/chains more rapidly than the even fire versions.

Ray

6. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just pull the bolts and install the bracket really fast. Don't give the gasket time to decompress.

chicken and Beanscoot like this.
  7. EchoWars

EchoWars

Thanks guys! Agreed that it ought to be best to do it quickly. I'll re-torque the whole manifold when done.

Got a double-roller Cloyes chain & gears in it. It ought to last a while...