Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Loosing Spark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, May 13, 2014.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

1947 with the original motor. It is converted to 12v negative ground. I have a Mallory ignition coil with a ballast resistor mounted on the firewall in line to it. I have a problem where when I'm driving it looses spark. It just shuts off and won't restart. I check with a test light and I have power going into the ballast resistor but nothing/not much coming out. I replaced the ballast resistor with a new one and I replaced the Mallory coil with a NOS Mallory coil and I still had the same problem. The second time I bypassed the resistor by hooking the two wires together and replaced the Mallory coil with an old Ford yellow top coil. At the time I thought it was internally resisted but now I don't think it was, but it got me home. By the time I get home I hooked up the Mallory coil and ballast and the car started right up again. Anything else I should be looking at?

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

For what it's worth, I am using a #29150 Mallory "electronic ignition coil" with a Mallory #700 ballast resistor. I'm wondering if its not the right coil for running with points. Though before I put this NOS one on, I had another 29150 with another one of the same type resistors on the car for about 5 years with no problem. Now they have both been replaced and I still have the same problem, a problem that goes away when I bypass them...

How do I measure the primary resistance of the coil? I've been reading that it needs to be 3 ohms when combined with the ballast resistor, which I know how to measure. If anything I would think that the coil being for electronic ignition would be less ohms, would that make it more prone to heat failure? Perhaps I'm being naive expecting a nos 40 year old coil to be reliable?