Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods loose studs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RottonRon, Aug 13, 2018.

1. I'm putting new studs into 48 hubs and after market drums and they are loose but snug ? Is there a source for studs(Ford) or is there a fix ? Weld them ? Any body else have this issue in their builds?any ideas Should'nt it be press fit?? thanks !!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. aircap

aircap

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

They should be a very tight press fit. That’s the problem with this new foreign crap. I would take it back if you can. I have welded one before in a pinch, but never all five. Just my .02.

Bones

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Measure the studs and the hubs first to see which is the offending part . Hopefully the studs are not of an inferior metal (soft). I would say you could get studs from Ford but I would ? where their supply comes from. Good luck.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have welded them on some abused race car off topic stuff. Weld the head to the backside of the hub. Don’t like to but sometimes there is no good option. When I’ve done this I install a wheel and torque all the lugs in place before starting. Short (1/2” or less) hot weld on opposite sides. 2 welds per stud, doesn’t take much to stake them. Hopefully in an area I can get to if I need to grind and remove at a later date.
    SPark

swade41 likes this.
  6. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

You can pick up Dorman studs at pretty much any auto parts store. They may not have what you need, but they'll have the book and you can find the number. Measure the size you need and go compare to the book and see what you come up with.

7. When you knock the old studs out sometimes they take a little meat with 'em. It is a common problem and NAPA used to have them on a Doman rack with all different diameter splines.

Here is a thought if they are snug but loose they eventually are going to bite you in the butt, usually happens about 30 miles from home when everyone else is at the party another 100 miles away.