Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loose spider caps?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Kenny P

Kenny P

I'm installing new spider caps and I'm not happy.
    The backing plate that the bullet cap screws to has oval openings, the lug nuts just barely touch on the edges and when everything is snugged up, the cap still has a good amount of play.
    Am I missing something?
    Do I need different, larger, lug nuts that overlap the plate more?
    Thanks for any input.

Kenny

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Have you tried flipping the backing plate and using the other side?

How about lug nuts that are tapered a little differently that the ones you're using?

3. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

My friend is having the exact same problem. He contacted the company he bought them from, and is supposedly waiting for them to send some different lugs that will fix the problem. He's dealing with Wheelsmith. Is that who you got yours from? If that doesnt pan out for him, we are thinking of making some sheet metal or aluminum washers and giving that a shot.

4. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Had same problem, simple to bend the backing plate a little to snug it up. these are made as a universal fit on many styles of steel wheels ,so some modifications are usually required.

5. Kenny P

Kenny P

Got mine from Speedway, United Pacific is the brand.

The backing plate only goes on one way, I tried that. :)

That was kinda my question, are there bigger lug nuts?

Was kinda questioning the "oval" slot when I opened them.

In the mean time, I have 3 more wheels to cut the cap tabs off and sand and spray.......Thanks for the help.

KP

6. Here is what I did with the loose spiders on our 57 Chevy truck.
    I dabbed clear silicon sealant on the back sides of the adapters were they bolt up to the wheel. remount the spider and let set overnight.

7. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

You can use a rubber washer, similar to a garden hose washer, I used about three a wheel and that took the play out of mine.

8. Kenny P

Kenny P

Cool...Thanks for the help.
    I'll try the rubber washer trick and that doesn't work, we'll do the silicone deal.

9. Torpedo

Torpedo

I used black O rings on mine. It worked very well.

D

10. How about what is commonly called "bulge" nuts? They have more shoulder with a conventional head size, used in a lot of newer wheels so most were metric but we have gotten 7/16, 1/2" at our local wheel store "Masseys Acessories OKC OK" They also have a ebay store I'm told.

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Mine have a threaded piece iside the bullet and I welded a spring to a washer then bolted it to the insert.I used different length springs for the fronts because of the dust covers on the hubs and longer ones in the back that rest on the axle flange. On the dust covers in the front (bearing covers) I used a small self tapping screw to hold the spring from sliding off to one side.The trick is to make sure the spring is a bigger diameter than the screw head and that the screw is short enough to not hit the end of the spindle. It took a little more time but it does not wear out like silicone or orings.Havent had a sigle rattle in three years!

12. I hate mounting them on my car. I was really considering self tapping screws in rim.

13. yblock292

yblock292

used a shot of silicone on each lug nut fixed it

14. what brand are you guys buying and where? I'm looking to use spiders on my stock 16" LaSalle wheels. I think they are 5X5 it's a bigass pattern

15. widow maker

widow maker
    from nj

Bent the backing plate..No problems at 110 mph in the 1/4..

16. Do you fools have a death wish?, did I read this right?, you guys are putting O-rings and rubber under your lug nuts? How do you torque your nuts down, I dont understand the logic in this.

17. ryno

ryno

i think they mean they are putting the rubber o rings on teh outside of the lugs to make them bigger and seal.

i sure hope so!

18. Kenny P

Kenny P

Yeah, I was assuming "around the nut" making the nut larger to keep the side to side play of the cap snug.
    I'll try tweakin' the backing plate a bit and see if that works, if not, I have silicone, so I'm going to try it tomorrow, I will let ya's know.

Thanks again for the input.

:cool:

19. dragass

dragass

I screwed mine directly onto the wheel. Didn't like those goofy rings and I had a hard time lining up the screw holes with the caps after the wheel lug nuts were tightened. Nice clean setup now.

20. Haha, had me going there for a minute. :eek:

21. diamond dave

diamond dave

if anyones got a single spider cap laying around that they dont need, i'm missing one on my shoebox. lemme know if you wanna get rid of it.

22. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I was worried about the lugs not seating properly, but as you tighten it down, the washer spreads out and the lugs have metal to metal contact with the rim. I also bent the backing plates to try and take some of the slack out.
    Ran this way for 3 years now, always check my lugs before a long trip and never had a problem.

23. Kenny P

Kenny P

You know, for a hundred and fifty bucks.....
    you'd at least expect the screws that hold the cap to the plate
    to be stainless!!!!
    It rained last night and I went out this morning to admire the newly installed coolness and the little buggers are rusting on the edges! :eek:

Geeeez.:mad:

24. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Ive heard all of these complaints before, but i still think they look cool. Sounds like self-tappers are the best bet.

25. My experience with spider caps is that they rattle.

I have seen fellas put a couple of sheet metal screws through the mounting flange and into the steel wheel.

26. chubbie

chubbie

Fools!??? mr. obvious says you havn't a clue what your talking trash about......so whos the fool now??

I used the garden hose washers and it worked out great

27. mongo51

mongo51

I used the bulge nuts and haven't had a prob. with mine. I put stainless srews in mine also

28. The_Monster

The_Monster

At least Im not the only one with this problem! Sounds like im driving over metal garbage can lids! Ill have to try the rubber hose trick. What a bitch just to change a tire though! Maybe the self tapping stainless in the rim is the best idea.

29. The_Monster

The_Monster

put on 3 garden hose rubber rings per cap and it solved the prob! Really nice and solid now! Thanks for the tip!