Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to Get Started...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tribalmonkey, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks for the information drdave. I need to look back through your build thread to see if you have some interior pics.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

drdave likes this.
  2. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Bchtcybob - yeah, I keep thinking (and getting messages) about removing the cowl lights. I didn’t plan on doing that for awhile. I like the way they look but removing them will be cheaper than replacing the broken arm. All I have found so far are the arms sold in pairs $.

3. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Does anyone know what this means? Plate glass or safety glass? It’s a bit conflicting. I know it’s old but is it old safety glass that is better than plate glass? Trying to decide if I should replace. IMG_5498.JPG

4. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

My door glass seems to also be a type of laminate. IMG_5501.JPG

Tim likes this.
  5. The LOF on the windshield is Libby-Owens-FORD Co.
    I honestly don't know if that was a company Henry was part of or not.
    But it sure seems like that glass is safety.
    I'm sure there will be more replies

Tribalmonkey likes this.
  6. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks Tony

Tony Martino likes this.
  7. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I also just found this behind another panel. Stamps maybe? Trash? I haven’t tried to flatten it out yet. Seems like it would fall apart pretty easy. IMG_5504.JPG

8. loudbang

loudbang

S&H green stamp. Lots of grocery stores, gas stations,etc used to give them with purchase. You saved them in a small booklet and cashed them in for prizes.

Stogy, bchctybob, drdave and 4 others like this.
  9. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Haha! This is so cool. Like a bit of a time capsule. Thanks for the identification loudbang.

Stogy, drdave, Tony Martino and 2 others like this.
  10. ........WOW! That takes me back. There used to be another one, I believe they were called Top Value stamps. They were yellow, I guess to distinguish them from the S&H Green stamps. They may have been a more "local" phenomenon. It's been a long time since I've seen either.:)

11. Here's what they looked like when they were "fresh".:D th (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Stogy, drdave, Tony Martino and 3 others like this.
  12. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Spent some good shop time today. Listened to a lot of Woody Guthrie and Hank Sr. Discovered I at least have laminate safety glass in the windshield and doors. Not the best but a lot better than just pane glass. Got all of the old petrified rubber seals off of the windshield frame and hinge. Wire wheeled and scrapped a lot of rust from the windshield header and underside of the roof. Also removed the cowl lights. Next steps will be prepping for paint and POR15. IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5512.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG

Stogy, J.Ukrop, drdave and 3 others like this.
  13. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

IMG_5522.JPG IMG_5521.JPG

Stogy, drdave, Tony Martino and 2 others like this.
  14. You’ve been finding some cool stuff stashed back in there. I remember saving green stamps when I was a kid and getting to put them in the book. Don’t recall what my parents ever got with them though. Lol

The interior posts on my thread are at the end. I started with the seats during the shut down last year, but had a bit of a set back on the cover for the front seat frame not fitting right. With all the COVID mess, it took a good bit of last year to get it straightened out and get the fixed cover back from Macs, so I haven’t finished the install yet (I was also putting a new engine in my 50 Chevy at the same time). Hoping to get back after it soon and finally be back on the road...with freshly redone seats and one new door panel installed at least. Lol

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. bchctybob

bchctybob

Here's what the little plugs look like installed. I didn't like the cowl lights, reminded me of big Shreck ears.
    IMG_2942.JPG

16. Typical "restoration" from the dying breed of Model A "purists"

17. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Quick question - I am going to order the precut uncovered interior panels and cover them with black vinyl of some sort. I would like to do the same for the headliner but it sounds like there are no panels for that available and that normally fabric is just stretched for the headliner. What do you recommend I do to cover the headliner roof area of my coupe? Just fabric seems insufficient.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

This evening I installed my new Smithy’s glass pack. Sounds very mellow. Not loud at all but very cool.
    IMG_5559.JPG IMG_5542.JPG
    I spent the rest of my shop time doing some media blasting and prepping some parts for paint.
    IMG_5547.JPG
    IMG_5552.JPG
    IMG_5555.JPG
    This week I hope to get the windshield frame wire wheeled, primed and painted along with the other windshield header and shroud parts. I’d like to get the windshield rubber seals in place and reinstall the windshield. I also plan to order the un-upholstered interior panels and pick up a few things from Bratton’s (interior trim screw kit...)

19. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Got a video of the car running with the Smithy’s? Just put a set on my project with a dummy engine. Won’t be firing the real engine up for a few months and I’m curious how they’ll sound

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  20. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I’ll post one tomorrow

21. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I keep thinking that eventually I could get a model a roadster body and swap back and forth between my coupe and a roadster. Is that reasonable? Am I over simplifying? Does anyone do that?

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Keep the coupe and build a roadster to use when the weather is nice and the coupe when it isn't roadster weather!

23. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

@Tribalmonkey for your headliner. . . I was at the craft store with my wife and they have large pieces of "board". Like thick craft paper but firm.
    And they have all kinds of foam, batting, and fabric.

24. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

It's not that hard to sew up your own headliner. The fabric headliner will look correct and meet up with your interior panels nicely.

31hotrodguy and Tribalmonkey like this.
  25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Back in the 60s, my mom would get cool stuff with Green Stamps. One Christmas I got a 4-pack of 1/24th AMT model cars that mom got with 'em. I was hoping for "a" model car for Christmas but FOUR? Yes, there IS a Santa Claus!

26. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

27. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Still working on windshield prep for paint.
    IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5569.JPG IMG_5571.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5574.JPG

Tim, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  28. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Sounds good! Thanks for sharing

29. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Looks good and sounds good.

Stogy, loudbang and Tribalmonkey like this.
  30. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah! Sounds great both idling and goosing it.