Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to Get Started...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tribalmonkey, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Let me start by saying I’m not a mechanic. I have never rebuilt an engine completely. The most I have ever done is replaced some head and manifold gaskets and rebuilt a couple of carbs on my old Jeeps. However, I have been wanting to do some sort of classic car/truck hot rod project for some time now. As I look online for some sort of project ‘deal’ I keep going back and forth about what project would most interested me. I’m definitely a Ford guy. I have considered an old Ford truck as a project and I’m really interested in flathead v8s and would love to learn more about them. As I dig around online I keep going back to that old school, traditional, hot rod style of a Model A roadster or coupe.

Like I mentioned above, I have never done a traditional hot rod build project like this before. I really don’t know anyone who has and I am not exactly sure where to get started. I hate the idea of buying a bunch of parts that I will never use because I really didn’t know what I needed or what I was looking at. I have been reading through many of the builds here on H.A.M.B. Very inspiring. I have purchased a few related books. Also motivating. I have a two bay workshop with most of the basic tools for the project. COVID has me working from home so I have a bit more extra time now. I’m looking for advice and recommendations on where to start?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Stogy, TagMan, Tribalmonkey and 9 others like this.
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Find a complete but unmolested vehicle and have at it.

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Be prepared to spend lots of money! :)

5. You might try adding your general location to your profile. There might be fellow hot- rodders close by that could help get you headed in the right direction.

6. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I’m in Frederick, MD. I’ll update my profile. I think I meant to post this under the ‘Introduce Yourself’ section. I am off to a bad start here. Sorry.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Naa ... you're OK.
    Before buying something, make sure you like it. Too many projects are abandoned because the owner didn't ever want one in the first place. Working on something you don't like will sour you in a hurry.

8. If you are interested in A's buy the Vern Tardell Mike Bishop book HOW TO BUILD A TRADITIONAL FORD HOT ROD. It is basically a blueprint that will help you on your way.

9. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

IMG_4626.JPG :)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Yup, thats it.

Stogy, Big mike 1968, 1Nimrod and 5 others like this.
  11. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

So... where to start? Body and Motor? Where is the best place to find them? What are fair prices?

Big mike 1968 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Start with the classifieds here, local swap meets. Start meeting people and ask around. Best way to start is with as complete of a car as you can find. Extra parts always have value to sell or trade off. In this day and age titles are important based on how your State deals with old cars.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I moved it from intros to the main board so you would get more exposure...

14. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Cool. Thanks! I was a bit confused for a few mins. Ha!

15. Excellent advice from Tman, there are hundreds of threads on the hamb and read as many as possible to determine what body style you want to build, remember a stalled project can get you a long way down the road if it built similar to what you have in mind.

Don't worry too much about the lack of mechanical knowledge, we are here to help when you have questions, with the vast amount of knowledge for the asking we have members that a well versed on ever aspect of hot rod building. HRP

16. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks Tman - I see posts/threads like J. Ukrop and his Roadster and get motivated. Awesome project and on the road in pretty short amount of time.

17. Hours of research! Lots of questions. Just like you’re already doing. You are at the right site assuming you like this type of build.

18. As has been mentioned before in these 'get started' threads. LEARN HOW TO WELD. Nothing stops or stalls a build quicker.
    Best way is to buy exactly what you want and as complete as possible. Something that has been okayed by somebody you trust, who knows what they are doing, and what you want and are capable of doing.

19. .........It's all good. Once you get accustomed to navigating the site, check out the Maryland HAMB forum. It's a sub-section where you can interact with other locals and get advice on builds as well as finding out where events might be taking place that are close to you. Good luck going forward........Don.

302GMC, i.rant, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  20. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I don’t seem to have permissions to that part of the forum yet.

21. I think it comes with a minimum # of postings. 50? comes to mind

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Heck your an easy drive to York , Hershey and Carlisle and the Eastern Museum of racing. When they open again , go spend a lot of time looking at finished and projects cars and wonder the aisles of parts. You will soon find the particular car/truck that pulls your string and get an ideas on new/used parts.

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Do not buy and off brand wether it is your first, second or fifth. Parts availability and price will set you back on your keester. Buy what has good parts availability new or used and you won’t be disappointed. And go online and order some free catalogs.

24. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

This is the newest one I highly recommend [​IMG]

25. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

If you like Model As, all the body styles fit on an A chassis; from truck to roadster, coupe and phaeton. Many interchangeable parts still readily available. They are relatively cheap and fairly straightforward to put together.
    Good luck and have fun

27. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks RJP. I have been welding for years. Not a pro but I can make metal stick together.

28. alchemy

alchemy

If you are all brand new, I'd suggest an F-1 pickup instead. Lots of old Ford flavor, including a flathead. And they are useful for other things too once it's running. By then you will be indoctrinated to the world of old Fords and will understand how they fit together. Then search for your Model A.

29. 6sally6

6sally6

I would start by going to a few Big car shows and decide on just what kinda car you want to own/modify/repair/re-build/finish.
    Finding a nice classic Ford that is 'almost' finished and taking it home and making it "yours" may be the best way to get started.
    Buying a half finished project someone abandoned may be a 'budget-wise' way to get overwhelmed before you ever get started good. Same answer for buying an old rust bucket that needs everything cut-out-and-replaced.
    Better to spend some serious coin and get something that is SOLID and road-worthy and......all there for your first project.
    Cool thing about these old cars.......even when somebody "finishes" one........don't mean it's finished. ALL of them ALWAYS needs a-little-something.
    Get cha one of those. You can drive it.....enjoy it.....show it.....let it get you sexually excited (if you want to):) then...........you will be ready to take baby steps and modify it and learn from it.
    The classics (pre-computer controlled)are still real simple to service and troubleshoot. Heck, back in the 60's one of the selling points for cars were the ease of maintanance for the owner.
    Believe it or not.........guys usta fix their on stuff!!!!!
    Don't jump into a blown hemi 41 Willys....or a cammer "M-word" or even a flathead IMO.
    A SBF 'sump'in is good to cut your teeth on.
    6sally6