Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking to do a Quarter Elliptical rear end. any advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCo_MoFo, Oct 12, 2007.

1. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Here's the deal I am looking to do a QE rear end on my RPU. I have a boxed A frame, a 48 ford rear end with split wishbones and I am using an open drive

So any pics or suggestions on how do get `er done would just be fabulous.

2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I'm running Posie's quarter elliptical setup on my '34 truck. I'm using hairpins on it, and the ride is really good. The parts are excellent quality and the ride height is adjustable which makes it nice. The whole package is pretty thin profiled, so it leaves quite a bit of room under the bed.
    [​IMG]

3. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

wow. that looks killer! do you have anymore pics of how it's attached to the Axle etc?

4. Flatty

Flatty

I like!!!! I have built 3 1/4 ellip's on my rockcrawlers, but never on a rod. I was looking at doing this on the front. It seems to work pretty well. The only question is why the panhard? Why not the inverted 4 link?

dima

5. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

here's a bunch more I have found on here using the search button, though only a few as nice as yours.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

More...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. Flatty

Flatty

What springs are you guys using for this? Are there specific 1/4 lipstick springs? I am liking this idea more and more.

Dima

8. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

some guys use the Posies Springs which are purpose built and some guys use trailer springs and others just cut buggy springs in half...

there are a ton of posts on here with guys using them up front but not too many about them being used in the rear...

9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I ran a panhard to eliminate the chance of side travel since the rearend is just located with hairpins. You could make some brackets for the rear, but for the money, I just bought speedway's brackets for putting a transverse spring on top of the rearend. The radius on their brackets fits a 3" tube, so I just turned the bracket to face the spring. I used the actual mounting end of the bracket for the link to my friction shock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Look at this...Not a super pic but it's 1/4 ell. Bad ass. Search for Dan Webb Submarine.

11. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

TudorChevy, I like the set up and dig how you are using the Speedway brackets as the friction shock mounts as well...

12. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Dave Gail, was the king of quarter eliptic spring setups, both front and rear. RIP.

I have a pair running transversely under my Phaeton in the rear over the quickchange. From the back it just looks like a standard transverse buggy spring setup.

airsix likes this.
  13. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

A quarter elliptical setup, as well as a transverse spring, makes the rearend look a lot cleaner.
    [​IMG]

14. scottwaters

scottwaters
    from DFW

Too funny, just got in from my shop where I JUST finished this exact style build!

15. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Well, let's see some pics!

16. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Quick question, how do those springs ride?

17. brewsir

brewsir

They ride nice......they are just like running regular leaf springs just mounted differently.

18. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

[​IMG]
    I did mine the cheapass way. 57 chevy rear springs cut in half. Stiff part to the front because of weight,other part to the rear. I did not use a shackle as I use the spring as a lower link with a tubing link up on the top for a leaf link rather than a four link. Angle the top link and you don't have to have a panard bar. May not be perfect but the price is right and it rides well .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

My first was a set of springs made from a 40 Ford front. Used the springs on top and a bars on the bottom. Worked great, I see the car every year at the LARS with over a 100K on the speedo and still going strong. I have built several deuce chassis using the Posie spring kit with shackles and P&J ladder bars on the rear. They work and ride great!

20. twofosho

twofosho

Any transverse "buggy" spring is functionally just two quarter elliptics connected together.

21. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I also used '57 Chevy wagon leaves cut in half. CE coilover brackets on the axle. It's not as clean as some here, but ride height is adjustable, as is the upper bar. I drove it for the first time at HCPU on Saturday, but it seems like it worked well.

This picture is from initial mock up.... not completed, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133842

22. uncle buck

uncle buck

I found this old thread doing a search and was wondering if anybody besides Posies is offering Quarter Elliptical Spring Kits? I have been giving it some thought for my 29 rpu

23. powmia

powmia

Made mine with everything I needed from Big R (Tractor Supply Co. is the same). All trailer springs, ended up only needing a couple brackets from Speedway. The trailer springs are the same rating and 1 3/4" wide w/3/4" eye just like the ones speed shops sell. Ended up doing the front and rear of my bucket for under 100 bucks![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

When some guys back in the 70s were working with the 1/4 elliptic idea they used cut Pinto/Bobcat rear springs. Very cheap and spring rate was good for light roadsters and coupes.

25. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

A springs

Attached Files:

26. Window Licker

Window Licker

27. zzford

zzford

It should be noted that if using a four bar or hairpin for locating the axle, the spring MUST have a movable shackle on one end. Otherwise, something will eventually break. When the spring deflects, it also straightens putting a bind in the suspension. Also, when using a spring as a suspension link with only one trailing arm on each side, pinion angle will change on bumps. Will it work? Yeah, but why not do it correctly and use 2 arms per side and a shackle on the spring?

28. nightperson

nightperson

can anyone help with the calculations of the top bars? I'm wanting to run the 1/4 ellipticals in the rear on triangulated 4 link. these are the specs on the spring. I'm also wanting to run the bars from center to th outside of the rear. does this create too much binding?

1-3/4" wide
    17-3/4" overall length
    15-5/8" eye to spring end