Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking to buy a 58 ford 300 moore door sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hispanicviking, Feb 12, 2013.

1. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Hi everybody, my wife has been honding me to get her a cruiser. Since my 56 Olds has a long way to go before it's done, I figure it would be cool to have a second car to cruise in with my kids while i'm finshing my Olds. I came across a 58 Ford 300 4 door sedan for sale. Never owned a Ford before . Looks killer. clean TX car powder blue and white. All stock orignal Y block car. Was wondering if you guys can shoot me some more info on these types of cars. I want to lower it if I get it. Will Arowstar springs on the front of these work like they do on shoeboxes ? any pics of customs would be a great help too. :D

2. Well,your gonna get grief from all the 4 door haters here tell you to keep looking until you find a 2 door whatever.

I have always been a Ford kinda guy and a 58 Ford 4 door would make a good cruiser for the family while your still working on the project.

A cool old car is better than a proud walk any day! HRP

3. Never used Aerostar springs on anything but you can clip a coil on the '58 and get an inch or two. It only costs you the price of a stone for your angle grinder and you will be able to use it to grind on something else when you are done.

Y blocks are good dependable engines, if you are nice to them they will be nice to you. Keep it tunned and the oil clean. They have a great sound and it is distinctive a Y block only sound.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If I had kids, I would get a 4 door in a heart beat, preferably, a station wagon.

5. Well probably be less drama if we don't start the 4 door debate. It is a pissing match that no one can win anyway.

6. Ole don

Ole don

A more door gives you places to mount three point belts in front and good two place belts in back. Wash it, wax it and drive it with pride.

7. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Thanks for all the feedback guys !!! I dig more doors. I'd rather put my 3 and 6 year old in a 4 door then having them stomp on the seats to get in back of a 2 door .

8. Kinky6

Kinky6

Those Ford 4-doors from the late '50's have a neat look. I knew a guy when I was in college, back around '77, that had a black '58 4-door. It was not a Fairlane, but one of the less expensive trim levels. I always liked the side profile on them, with those funky quarter windows behind the rear doors.

For guys that have to have a 2-door or else, they'd never be happy with one of these, but I'd roll it out with a grin plastered on my mug anytime! :D

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

9. Uh two doors have flip foward seats, no reason the kids would stomp all over them. I'm just sayin'.

10. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

When I was a snotty nosed kid in the early 80s my father painted one for a guy, I think it was the same color combo. To dad it was just another old 4 door, but I fell in love with that thing. I've still got some pics I took with my 110 camera. Ignore any naysayers, you'll turn more heads than you can count.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, the Aerostar coils will fit up front, and the standard 3" blocks in the rear. Apparently those coils can be had off of eBay for $38 shipped or something like that, they're about $58 from Autozone. They ride much better than a cut coil. Shorter shocks for the front are a must, the rear shock mount doesn't move with blocks so no problems there.

12. Like Solo 909 so eloquently said, "Tudors are for guys with no friends".

13. I'll give my usual responce to the 4 dr question, go for it!

14. teddyp

teddyp

i have a 58 ford 2 dr cut coils and 2"blocks rides good there are afew threads on here about 4 dr custom cars that are pretty cool

Attached Files:

15. I have had several 2 door cars over the years. I have actually had a couple of friends as well, I just didn't take 'em to raise. ;)

16. I currently own a few 57-8-9 Fords. There is nothing that's a regular problem with them. They are a good middle of the road family car. Anything that might need parts to keep running is easy to find. No tricks, no weirdness. Rubber, weather strip, brake parts just a phone call away. Last year I even bought a new plug and play total wireing harness from a local supplier. You would have thought it came direct from Ford. Patch panels should you need any, no big deal. I say go for it but then your getting this from a Die Hard Ford Guy.
    The Wizzard

17. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

@TeddyP - That is so cool, I had to save the picture :)

I have a 4dr '55 Chevy for family cruisin'. To me, they are ALL time machines.

18. sololobo

sololobo

These are great cars, you won't see many 58's either. My friend calls multidoors "no waiting", these will haul more,easier! Go for it! ~sololobo~

19. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I like the passing eye mirror on your 58. I love my 4 door sedan for my family cruising..

20. id buy a 50's 4 door especailly a hardtop and i dont have a family or many friends cant go wrong with a ford

21. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Awesome !!! Thanks again for all the feedback i'm going to look at it again this week I'll try to post pics !

22. sololobo I think that you and I both appreciate a 4 door well enough, and a '58 Ford is tits. They are now kind of where the '37/'38 Fords were a few years back, just starting to be appreciated.

I wonder how a full sized '58 would take to a watson style panel job, kind of like a baby huey version of the square bird.

23. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

A more door is a much more user friendly way to cruise.
    I have a 58 2 door Fairlane 500 H/T that I cruise my grand sons in. The flip forward seat is a real PIA. Getting the car seats secured is an exercise similar to Yoga and getting the boys secured in the seats is a challenge as well.
    I have elderly parents and there is NO WAY they are getting in the back seat!!!
    You already have a 2 door so enjoy the best of both worlds!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  24. teddyp

teddyp

thanks it,s a fun car that i,ve had for along time

25. myascape

myascape

If anyone else is looking, I've got one for sale on the Des Moines, Iowa Craigslist site.

26. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Well, I called the dude who owned the 58 on Friday. The guy sold it Thursday night . I was bummed big time, so the search goes on . Hey Myascape, you got any pics of the one you have for sale ? I'm still on the search for one . Started looking for a 61-64 B.O.P. or Chevy moore door. Love the looks of them. I'll keep you guys posted of what comes up on my search .

27. myascape

myascape

28. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Cool thanks man !

29. myascape

myascape

I just went and shot about every imaginable angle on this car. I'll post a link when I process them off the camera.

30. 58s are a cool model not so common yet neet lookin & you cant see the doors from behind the wheel anyway