Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for your opinion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Brown, May 23, 2018.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

94530E1B-EF15-4F79-BAD2-D248F4D4735A.jpeg 1CC534B1-117E-48D8-BE9E-77B83DD008A0.jpeg Just finished installing a 32 grill and shell on my Mod A. Here are before and after pics. I could go either way, just wondering what ya’ll think.

2. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

It's not what we think it's what makes you HAPPY THA T COUNTS.

3. i like it both ways, but `32 best

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Something about a 32 grill shell, it even looks better on the wall IMO but it is your car and you are the one who has to look over the hood.

5. There both nice , but if I had to choose I’d go stock

knucklenutz likes this.
  6. Show us the color of you wheels....

don colaps likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hard to beat the beauty of the '32 but, original says more Hot Rod to me

knucklenutz likes this.
  8. I like both, but the '32 makes it look beefier in the photo as compared to the stocker.

RDR likes this.
  9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Like them both....trade them off every so often and keep everyone guessing :D

raven, Deuces and pat59 like this.
  10. WTF really

WTF really

I'm really not sure I would flip a coin.

11. belair

belair

No doubt. Deuce wins. My A coupe will get one when I am able to get started on the car.

Muttley likes this.
  12. I've said it before Ron,your Model A is one of my favorites here on the hamb and as much of a Deuce nut I am I prefer the original shell on your car,it just has that honest old early hot rod look.

I will say it doesn't look bad with the '32 grille shell and if you like the look don't change it to please anyone. HRP

[​IMG]

13. I think it looks more like a hot rod with the deuce grille. The Model A grill looks great but it looks more like an antique to me. If you are going for the rod look, I would go with the 32 shell.

Hombre and belair like this.
  14. robber

robber

Not riding the fence, but I dig 'em both, Ron Brown. Funny thing about a deuce grill...whatever you put it on, it looks good. That's COOL! Put it on a T or an A, doesn't matter... it looks good! Your A almost becomes a deuce, just because of the grill. Some might even forget that it is an A. That being said, I dig the original grill that the car was born with too. cp 580.JPG Very sweet car ya have there, by the way :) Actually, I like Hotrodmyk's idea... if it's a four bolt grill shell swap; mix it up once in awhile. When its not on the car, it's wall art. FUN... keep 'em both, and use 'em both :)

Ron Funkhouser and Deuces like this.
  15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Lemmie see it with paint on it and then I can decide which I like better

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey R,
    The look of your sedan has much better feeling with the stock grille than the 32. It looks complete. The 32, while it may look OK, is not a 32. Your sedan needs to stay stock on the exterior. I would be proud to use your car on daily drives as you would not be pretending that it is more than your own Model A sedan. There is no need for that.

My brother and I liked the look of the Model A since we first saw this red coupe at the drags in 1959. This red Model A Coupe would look out of place with a 32 grille. The Model A grille just has that look that cannot be changed or compared to any other year.

Jnaki
    Of course, the choice is yours...

An excerpt from an earlier Model A thread:

[​IMG]Riverside Raceway 1959
    Hello,

In early 1958, my brother and I had thoughts of building a Model A for drag racing in the gas coupes and sedan class. The look was going to be "streetable" but powerful for the drags. The stance was going to be similar to this red Model A we saw at Riverside Raceway a months later in 1959. But, by the time we found a nice Model A hidden in some weeds in our Long Beach neighborhood, my brother’s thoughts were already moving on to a fast, new 1958 348 Impala. So, after we fiddled around and got the Model A running, we sold it to partially fund the 58 Impala.

Jnaki

When we saw this red Model A in the A/ Gas class at Riverside Raceway in 1959, our thoughts were immediately drawn back to the old Model A we found and got running. Our original idea for a drag racing car that went by the wayside. But, we looked at each other and said… “maybe get another one and build it?” The look for the street and the drags is unmistakably very cool...

If our final mystery project looked and ran like the red Model A from Riverside Raceway in 1959, we would have been extremely happy. But, on the other hand, we were very happy with our 40 Willys choice for B/Gas and finally, C/Gas.
    [​IMG]

red Model A

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  17. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

The 32 Ron... Bob.........................

18. A grill hands down for me.

olscrounger likes this.
  19. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends......does the car have A/C ? :D

I like the '32 grille.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

22. DRD57

DRD57

Bitchin car.

23. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both cool, flip a nickel !

24. Muttley

Muttley

I love your Sedan whichever way you ultimately decide to go. Personally, I prefer the '32 shell, I'd just suggest you paint the insert. I'm not sure if you've seen my Dad's since we did his...........

GS4.JPG
    GS5.JPG
    These are just mock up photos, I don't have good ones after I painted the shell and insert.

Tim and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

If you're going to upgrade it, try a '34 – or even a '36. How about a '48 and include the fenders?

fordflambe likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

I assume the '32 shell wasn't photoshopped in? If so, it looks right at home on you car.

That said, a shiny A shell, and a shiny chrome front bumper, might match up to your headlights and HL bar real nice too.

27. redo32

redo32

Where's the little sarcasm imogee.

Ron. Only a few guys have ever screwed up a '32 grille. Yours looks good. imho

28. 117harv

117harv

A grille.

olscrounger likes this.
  29. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

So to upgrade a car you can only use parts from the year it was made and manufacturer ?

Guess Duvall was wrong too

IMG_3097.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray likes this.