Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Looking for your next hot rod project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Looking for your next hot rod project?

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Woogeroo, slim38, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pretty cool!

3. tinsled

tinsled

Hmm...?
    Legos? ...what's wrong with traditional scale kits, AMT, Revell, Lindberg...?
    This one is built out of leftover parts of several Revell & AMT kits, also including some scratch made parts.
    (work in process, not completed yet)
    [​IMG]
    I could go on stating; "Legos are NOT HAMB friendly, while old scale kits are..."
    Legos would be like billet parts

Automotive Stud and scotty t like this.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I have three long term projects that haven't been touched in a while so all I need to do to find a new one is just open my shop door.
    20160108_135441.jpg

Hoping to at least get back on my roadster project in 2021.

Ron Funkhouser and X-cpe like this.
  5. My kids would be interested...

6. catdad49

catdad49

My Grandson Reese has plenty. Time for a project of our own

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with traditional car models and kit bashing. But there is nothing wrong with these either. Incredibly creative and cool. You're allowed to like more than one thing.

kaspar and Tim like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Those are pretty fabulous builds with the various Lego pieces. I can see various little parts that came in our individual sets or whole vehicle sets in our plastic containers. But some of those shapes are from Lego kits that we have never seen. I will have to see if we can make some of those hot rods, the next time we are over at our granddaughter's house. Those exhaust pipes from the community tubing projects and space guns for collectors, as well as constructed doors from slopes. Genius status for sure.

We used those same small slopes to streamline the front of our FED race cars, as well as a front spoiler and/or trunk lid for other cars. Creativity is in the eye of the beholder… It is not a regular model car kit that has real-life like images and copied parts. Legos make all of us creative and have fun in the process of playing.

Our family has been a Lego Household since our son was a little guy. He went through the various stages of Legos from the huge blocks, to the mid-size ones to the tiny little guys. He was just fascinated with all sorts of Legos. I made him a personalized teeny screwdriver from one in my tool drawer. When those flat plates were used with other plates or base units, they were a bear to break apart. The teeny, steel screwdriver made it so he could pry off the flat plates after a project or two. (The plastic ones bent or broke.) He learned to use the teeny screwdriver well, never had a scratch on him or the Lego Parts. But, a mechanic he is not.

We were fanatics with large plastic containers used to separate the colors, first. Then within those large containers, smaller clear boxes to separate the specific parts. (wheels, single pieces, all flats in one, etc.) Some days, we would spend hours on our large dining room table building cities, vehicles, homes and when the Space Legos came out, everything that comes with that scene.

I did try to make a long dragster using a skinny flat plate and wheels, but the proportions were a little off and it looked odd. With the advent of the Space Legos, it was a little easier to make more advanced vehicles with some space parts. My son was the building contractor and I was the vehicle builder. Then he was the individual Space Lego expert and far outclassed my involvement. He was off in another world. Our neighbor gave up on Legos and gave my son several huge containers full of parts from his collections. Those containers are still in his attic.

Jnaki

How did the Legos continue in our family? Our granddaughter got the bug through us and our son. When she came over, it was easy to have a small box ready as a surprise and it took minutes to build something, if not the photo on the cover. Now, after 14 years, their dining table is covered with a massive Lego City from all sorts of collections gathered over the years.
    upload_2020-1-9_5-16-53.png
    Space, camping, western, cities, vehicles, places in the community, and other Lego kits, (when she gets a new one as a gift,) are finished in record time. Anything new gets added to the massive Lego Community on that table. Luckily, they have another table for lunches and dinners.

One year, Thanksgiving was at their house and the Lego City had to be dismantled. It got moved to the next room and after Thanksgiving, it went right back to the huge table to be rebuilt to its fullest. New Lego Kits are being added almost monthly. I tried doing a pumpkin center piece on a rolling plate for that table setting, but failed miserably…awwww.
    upload_2020-1-9_5-17-19.png Our own Cherry Ave. within the city limits...

But, the main street of the city was once our Nakamura’s City Drags. Those neighborhood cars have since replaced the long 2x4 flat rail, big rear wheel, small front wheel race cars going down the middle of the neighborhood. With the Lego Space Guy in his driving suit holding a steering wheel between the big rear wheels. The Lego block motor was in front for authenticity… There were no rear engine fuelers in this time period for a traditional drag race. But, it was our own Monaco Gran Prix of drag racing within the city limits. (the shut off area would have been a little tricky…)

At first, we thought Legos were for boys. But our granddaughter proved us wrong in the “art of playing.” It also helped that some of the characters are girls and women in all forms of jobs, activities, and styles.

Her dad is also amazed that our granddaughter has that skill and patience it takes to build and construct a city or portions of a neighborhood. She is getting good at making vehicles of all sorts, as well as the stock format of any kit. But, creativity is what Legos are about for most people including kids, so modifications immediately come to the forefront in all sorts of play situations. The Lego Stores in our local shopping malls always makes us stop to wonder about the newest Lego Kits sitting in the window.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. I think she is serious this time.