Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking for throw out bearing for 283 with muncie gearbox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seventhirteen, Dec 31, 2009.

1. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

here's what i got fellas, newest build Angelika is a 30 ford coupe and this time around i am going 4 speed.

it's a 327 but i'm running an ansen scattershield that uses a 283 starter, looks like i'm needing a 168 tooth flywheel with the 10.5" clutch and pressure plate all of which i have what i don't have is the bearing and pilot bearing

gearbox is a 1969 muncie m-22 with a 10 spline input shaft

searched autozone and napa for a bit for cars with 283's but noticed there seems to be a few options coming up anybody with some experience here have a year/make and model to cross reference or a part number?

thanks in advance

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Parts book should give you the correct bearing the type of pressure plate will dictate the correct one. BTW, the M-22 did not come with a 10 spline input so I suspect you have a M-20 or M-21. Give us the number of grooves in the input or count the revolutions the input turns to make the output shaft turn 1 revolution when it's in first gear. The M-22 also takes a T-400 driveshaft yoke so it's hard to mistake it for the weaker (relatively speaking) Muncies.
    PasadenaHotRod should post shortly, he's a god when it comes to these transmissions.

Frank

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The throwout bearing choice will depend on which pressure plate you use. The engine involved doesn't have any bearing (outside of the fact that the engine/trans are Chevrolet) on the situation.

4. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

pretty sure the m-22 did come with a 10 spline input 26 spline output, with no rings according to my charts, casting and serial show up as a 69 m-22 also

Year 1963-1965 Type: M20 Rings: None Spline: 10 Tooth Count: 24</PRE>
    Year 1966-1970 Type: M20 Rings: Two Spline: 10 Tooth Count: 21</PRE>
    Year 1970-1974 Type: M20 Rings: Two Spline: 26 Tooth Count: 21</PRE>
    Year 1963-1970 Type: M21 Rings: One Spline: 10 Tooth Count: 26</PRE>
    Year 1970-1974 Type: M21 Rings: One Spline: 26 Tooth Count: 26</PRE>
    Year 1967-1970 Type: M22 Rings: None Spline: 10 Tooth Count: 26</PRE>
    Year 1969-1974 Type: M22 Rings: None Spline: 26 Tooth Count: 26</PRE>

reason i'm mentioning the 283 is i don't have the option of running a different starter with the ansen scattershield and the gearbox is a 10 spline input.

5. squirrel

squirrel

And you still haven't mentioned what type of pressure plate you have.....

If it's the 3 finger type, or a diaphram with the angled fingers, you need the short bearing. If it's a diaphram type with flat fingers you need the long one.

6. I'm not sure how the old wives tale got started but having a fine spline input shaft does NOT make a Muncie an M22. ALL Muncies from mid 1970 or so up until the stopped making them in 1974 were fine spline with big (TH400 style) output shafts. Like squirrel said. there are only 2 throwout bearings, short or long. What pressure plate are you using ?

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's right; every '71 and newer Muncie I've seen has a 26 spline input, TH400 size output, and a drain plug.

8. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

sorry fellas got side tracked by the gearbox type.

it's a diaphram type what bearing would i ask for? looking online i see several part numbers for various years

9. chop&drop

chop&drop

You also need to make sure that you have the correct clutch fork pivot ball. When I was putting my sedan together I had to change the pivot on mine. I'm running a 350 with an M-20 and a diaphragm clutch. I can't remember right now, but I think I had to use the long throwout bearing and the long pivot ball.

10. squirrel

squirrel

is it a flat diaphram or are the fingers angled out?

11. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

bent diaphram style

12. Pilot bushing to use is a Dorman #690-014
    Short T-O brg is a Bower BCA #CC1705C-which has now changed to a different part #, but NAPA can interchange it.
    You need the short T-O brg with your bent diaphram PP.

13. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

napa is closed so i shuffled through various years on the autozone site, looking at 1957 truck it shows 2 bearings one for flat (614037) and one for bent (614018) that are stocked

oddly some years don't mention diaphram type they are listed off the clutch size or nothing after cross referencing 57 truck, 58 biscayne, 61 corvette, 62 truck, 65 chevelle, 69 camaro and 78 camaro i found a dozen different bearings listed, most of them are all special order

i'll take a look at both bearings and hopefully get this set up so i can start working on my pedals, thanks for the help fellas been along time since i've messed around with a manual gearbox

14. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Save yourself some trouble and install a # 3855 Mr. Gasket ADJUSTABLE pivot ball..
    Some times the combo of pressure plate, TOB , fork, and aftermarket bellhousing will fall right between the short and long bearing !
    Dave

15. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

looks like the 614018 will work, pilot bushing was a 14650, these are autozone part numbers

16. you need to look at this when assembling and check for proper function, mr lewis on the adjustable TO pivot had something going there, after improving my skill level I decided to do this stuff the right way and things worked better then, I can even rember some ground down bolt heads and a washer screewed into the adjustable pivot, but they worked :eek:and I raced[stock cars] and the throw out length is sometimes a little iffy after changing out parts, thicker clutch discs can change your travel, make sure you get a decent clutch release, before finishing your project check you work as you reassemble check to make sure all parts function PROPERLY this is the voice of bad experiences here

run a 4 speed in a stock car and took out a clutch almost weekly, along with a few defective alum flywhels, used to ram screws in to hold the ring gears from spinning after getting them hot and stretching the ring gear :cool:and then thy come loose