Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for this car.... Need your help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkwrangler2012, Mar 2, 2014.

1. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

I'm needing some help with a "long shot" quest I'm on. My dad built a 1923 T-bucket roadster in the mid 70's. In 1980 he sold the car to a local man where it remained in the Jackson, MS area for the next several years. Eventually it was sold again to another Jackson area local. I have been looking for this car for a few years now in hopes I can locate it possibly buy the car back. I have followed up on the 1-2 leads i have several times but no luck.

I have tried researching the last known LP (MS Antique #1196) and have had no luck. I do not have the VIN number or any other official documentation. I spoke to the man who painted the car many years ago and he said he did in fact see the car near the Ross Barnett Reservoir in Jackson a couple
    years back but is was in passing on a highway. He advised that a large man who appeared overweight was the driver and that he was 100% positive that is was my dad's roadster. It is my belief that the car is still located in the Jackson, MS area. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who might know anything about this vehicle or offer advice as to how i can track this car withOUT a VIN number. I have attached the only pics of have of the car and they are from 1979. With the exception of the body, this car was built 100% from scratch by dad. There is nothing on the car that could be considered a "kit" part.

More than likely this car has been thru a lot of changes over the years but I'm guessing the interior, paint and steering setup would more than likely still be as original today. Last time I saw the car was in 1986 and it had wide Tru-Spoke wheels/tires and a blower intake setup.

Here are some distinguishing characteristics that would identify that this is the car i'm looking for:
    1. Hand cut walnut dash with centered gauge cluster (Stewart Warner Gauges)
    2. Steering column comes up thru the floor and is almost straight up n down.
    3. The steering wheel was a custom made 6" dropped "T" style with 4 brass spokes and wood ring.
    4. The interior was a darker tan color diamond style tufted and pleated.
    5. Brass Radiator.
    6. Paint color was a 1976 Cadillac "fire-thorn" red.
    7. Brass carriage lights on the cowling.
    8. 70's style Mustang/Pinto automatic floor shifter.
    9. Did have some pin striping on the body sides in the door area and on the tailgate. Also had a big letter "T" on the cowling at the base of windshield.
    10. Originally had a LT1 350 with an offenhauser cross-ram intake.
    11. TH400 Transmission.
    12. Had side "wind wings" that attached to the sides of the windshield frame.
    13. Headlights are from a 1931 Chevy.

If you have knowledge of where this car is or might be, i would be extremely grateful if you would drop me an email.

Thanks,
    Zack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. I'm looking for mine too, it was registered as a 1966 Homemade in NY. Last known location was NJ

3. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

Good luck, I sure hope you find it.

I wish i had the money to hire an investigator but that is out of the question for me. If i only had the VIN# that would help a lot.

4. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

Ok, so I have given this several years of thought. Can someone recommend a investigator that i could speak to about tracking this car down? I'm pretty sure i cannot afford it but i would at least like to check into it. This car is very important to me, I have more memories with this car than most anything else in my life.

5. High5

High5

If you feel strongly the car is in the Jackson area, I would make up a flier with pictures and have them posted at every gas station in the area.

Just a thought. Good luck.

6. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Post flyers, and find out it's been in your neighbour's garage for the past 20 years.

7. 52lomofo

52lomofo

try going to local shows or crusies and ask around you never know??

8. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. Only problem is that I live in Colorado and Jackson, Mississippi is 1200 miles from me. I would run an ad in the paper there but just how many people actually read the paper anymore? I wish there was some other way to get the word out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

That is exactly what I would put my money on. There have been sightings of the car in Jackson area by people who remember the car when dad had it. However, they were all several years apart. My bet is that it is sitting in someone's garage and gets driven maybe 2-3 times a year and goes back in storage for the other 11 months out of the year.

10. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

A suggestion:
    1. Google "speed shops" in Jackson, MS
    2. Contact the speed shop by telephone and tell them you are sending them an email with the pictures. Offer a $100 reward for info finding the car
    Usually, if a person has a hot rod, the local speed shop guy sells them parts to keep the car going. The speed shop guy might also have seen the car on their "for sale" bulletin board if it ever sold.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do a search for car clubs in that area and see if you can contact some of the clubs. There are probably one or two or more hot rod or street rod clubs in the area and someone may know the car.

You could also post an add on Craigslist in that area asking for info but that may get you more attention from scammers than you want. Still worth sorting through things though to get info. I've seen a couple of those adds locally over the years looking for info on a car from the past.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Another suggestion is to do a thread titled: Jackson Miss area HAMBERS, I need your Help!

13. As an investigator, I would put an image on craigslist in its last known towns.(its free)
    Why pay me??? That's all I could do, unless you have the VIN.

Lyon Investigations, Inc.

14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a paper trail on a car I had. Most, but not all car guys work in some part of the field. I found a lead on mine at a car dealership. I called the parts department. Those guys see all the mechanics and are always on the phone. My car was a Dodge so I started there. With your type of car I might start at a body shop or speed shop. If they use the car. They have needed something by now. Gene.

15. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

Awesome suggestions guys! Thanks again for the input. I will start with craigslist and call speeds shops in the area.

Rick's Garage..... If i can ever locate a VIN i will contact you again.

I called the Autorama/World of Wheels people today and talked to them about finding the VIN#. Dad won first place (interior) with this car in the 1979 World of Wheels in Jackson, MS. As best i can recall when you enter a car in a WOW event you have to give the VIN and tag number. So, they are investigating their archives to see if they still have any info related to the car.

Thanks again guys, I will keep updating this thread as i progress along.

16. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Best of luck to you on your quest. Hope it turns up and the owner is willing to part with it.

17. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Send an email to the "human interest" reporter at the newspaper in Jackson, maybe they'll do a story.

18. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

Thanks Again guys. Hopefully someone who reads the paper will have knowledge of the car. I will definitely keep you all posted on what happens.

19. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

Thanks, me too. This car means an awful lot to me.

20. SpadezTX13

SpadezTX13

Have you tried searching the old license plate through the old "Department of Motor Vehicles"? I have done that with a few "lost title cars" and gotten a hold of previous owners that way.

21. jkwrangler2012

jkwrangler2012

Yes sir, tried that first and was told the plate comes back to a 1962 Cadillac, LOL. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app