Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for the Vac Adv.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by askforjonny, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Hey,
    I'm on the hunt for a flexible tube style vacuum advance line from my OG distributor to my OG carb on my 1949 8BA in my 1949 Ford Custom.
    The line in the image is kinked/broken.
    20210515_111021.jpg

Truck64 likes this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Mac's sells them, the T-Bird specialty guys sell them, it's just plain steel line with those weird "Ford" nut compression fittings. I bet the Flathead people sell it too. I don't think Ford ever had a part or part #, it was just something they made with a roll of line.

3. good to know!

Deuces likes this.
  4. Have you seen them in a flexible hose?

5. Cut the fittings off and use rubber?

hidez57 and ottoman like this.
  6. greybeard360

greybeard360

Plumbing supplies at the local hardware store. Take the line off and pay them a visit.

askforjonny and Deuces like this.
  7. I need the fitting to thread into my Carb and the vacuum advance.

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

9. I think he’s talking about using the fittings and leave a small section of line to hook the hose to on each end.

10. v8flat44

v8flat44

What 325w said . I did it on 8BAs all the time.

11. sdluck

sdluck

I don't believe that's a vacuum advance

askforjonny likes this.
  12. indyjps

indyjps

I'd cut the ends / nuts off and bend a new line, reuse those nuts and flare. Nickel copper brake line is good to work with.

13. I have seen lots of them with rubber hose. its called Vacuum Line and you can buy it at any autoparts store.

14. You could just replace the damaged section of the line with a piece of vacuum hose and call it done. Just cut the hard line with a tubing cutter and de bur it. The engine is stock appearing so you could just set the distributor to the timing mark on the crank pulley which is 2-3* BTDC. The vacuum can on these controls the entire timing curve, there is no centrifugal advance mechanism, the vacuum signal is generated by the venturi in the carb.

1Nimrod and askforjonny like this.
  15. Nuts are pretty beat up... hate too loose a thead while installing...

16. Im not sure how to set the time like your talking about it is a little fast now.

17. 1Nimrod likes this.