Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for suggestions - dash and steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Six-Shooter, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to dress up the existing dash and steering wheel in my t-bucket. My goal is to utilize both as a foundation and go from there. Funds are limited. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd say for new wheels, I'd go for 15" black or red steelies (original wheels) with 5.60 firestone White walls up front and 8.20's out back.......oh wait you said steering wheel. A black Moon 3 spoke steeling wheel would look better. Then I would find a new piece of aluminum and cut new holes in it where they are a little closer and replace that center speedo with something out of a mid 50's car. Then I would polish it and have it striped. Maybe give it some shape at the bottom as well.

Then I would ditch the trunk or truck bed out back for a gas tank and chrome nerf bar (or find a model A bed to cut down)

But that's just me. I think this car could be pretty bitchen if you took this winter and gave it a couple new touches. The Wheels and tires would make this thing awesome!!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

what he said ^^^^^^^^^^

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just search out Royalshifter's T Bucket. Any question on what should be done can be answered by studying his (or Turkyjerk's) hot rod. They are both awesome examples of what TO do.
    [​IMG]

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You don't need wheels so much as different tires. When you can afford it, replace the white-letter tires with blackwalls. The rears should be much taller than the fronts, not so much wider as taller unless you like the steamroller look.

I can't see a shifter, is it on the dash in front of the wheel on the left? Just curious.

If you get a nice plank of hardwood, cut it to fit with a deeper section on the left and in the middle raising up narrower on the passenger side it would be a nice addition. Regroup the instruments in it toward the left. Don't get crazy with the woodworking, just clean, simple work with a nice urethane finish will do it.

How about a front shot , a rear shot and a dead-on side shot?

6. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I like the idea of going to whitewall tires with black or red steelies. However, once again funds are limited. May have to do the steering wheel first. Keep the ideas coming!!! Thanks!!!

7. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Shifter is on the steering column connected to '57 powerglide.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd round out the bottom corners of the dash and maybe engine turn it if you can.. I'd paint the inside of the steering wheel silver or hammered silver.. Cool T-bucket.....

9. If you need to keep the wheel due to budget restraints and can cut, weld and grind, I'd cut filler pieces for the cut outs in the spokes, fill them, smooth them out, drill the resulting solid spokes to resemble a Grant/Superior 500 wheel and then paint them with the brightest chrome-like finish you can find. For a cheap dash upgrade, form the bottom to a nice, gentle curve (like a '32 dash), fill all the holes and relocate the instruments to give a more centered look (or in front of the driver).

If you have a few more bucks to start with, I'd simply replace the existing dash with a '32 style dashboard (lots of repops available for under $150). Fit your instruments (see above suggestion) and mount a new Grant or Bell-style wheel of your choice (or a '40 style, what with the column shift and all).

Steve

10. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Thanks!! All good ideas here!!!

11. sololobo

sololobo

J.J., is on target with his ideas, even steel wheels with your exsisting tires. Engine turning on you alum panel would be hip, you may be able to do that yourself, see tech threads in archives for that. Moon wheel a #1 improvement, and not big bucks. Nice rod, love the inline man. You are on the right track. ~sololobo~