Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for some basic facts on chopping down a Ford 9" axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Untame, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Untame

Untame

I'm going to sling an axle from a Ford van under my '29 Model A. I've stripped it down to the housing, and I think I have an idea of what needs to happen, but I want to hear from those who have experience before I give it a go.

I noticed that the axle housing appears to be slipped into the differential housing and welded around. I was thinking that i could cut off that weld, shorten the axle housing, and slip it in and re-weld (taking care, of course, to get it square). Then I suppose the axle shafts will need to be cut and re-splined.

Am I thinking clearly on this?

... also, does anyone know what the exact final width of the total axle HOUSING should be to match the front track on the Model A?

Untame

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. badshifter

badshifter

If you don't have a fixture, you may be wasting your time. Alignment is critical or your axles/bearings won't live long at all. That said, you can cut off and replace ends, or remove the tube from the housing and re-locate them. You have to decide if you want the yoke centered, or the pumpkin centered. Sometimes you can just narrow one side. As far as width, mock up with the car at ride height and the wheels you are going to use. When you like the look, measure between and that is what you want. Also check with whoever is going to respline or make your axles. There are minimums and maximums on that aspect as well.

3. Do you want the housing centered? If you are using the A spring It needs to be centered. Are the axels the same length?

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I have a 9 inch housing already cut down. How wide are you needing?

5. Untame

Untame

I'm not sure on the width. I was thinking that I might be able to measure to the front of the stock axle drums and match that on the 9" axle.

Thanks for the tips on centering. I'm planning on running a 4-link with coil springs over shocks (small struts). Come to think of it, I might be able to cut just one side and end up nearly centered.

I thought maybe there was a standard housing length that most rodders want.

I was going to build a jig to go through both sides. If I do one side at a time I should be able to get it as straight as original.

Untame

6. finkd

finkd
    Alliance Vendor

If you dont have the jig you will just ruin the housing, fitment is very important, not something done easily at home shop.

7. I know you said it was from a van, but I would verify that it is a 31 spline first before you do anything. 28 spline axles cannot be shortened.