Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for some advice on my new hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyn schlosser, Apr 20, 2016.

1. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I bought my dads 28 on 32 frame rails .It has a big block 472 caddy motor with a turbo 350 . I want to make it more traditional It has 15 steel wheels 15x4.5 ..I would like to go with taller skinnier tires and wheels . I love the look of the old lakes cars . Im going to post some pics any advice is appreciated . The car is mechanically sound you can drive it anywhere . old car 001.JPG old car 002.JPG old car 003.JPG old car 004.JPG old car 005.JPG old car 006.JPG old car 007.JPG

2. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

If the wheels are 4.5 wide they are narrow enough, my thinking is it needs taller tires in the back and narrower tires in the front

3. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

My mistake the bolt pattern is 5x4.5 .I believe the wheels are 6 inches wide .I like the look of the 16'' 40 ford wheels

slv63 likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride - yep, does need tire change, etc - looked at Coker site for possible sizes?

5. alchemy

alchemy

Ohhh, my eyes!!!!!!!!

I'll never unsee those wheels and tires!!!! Remove them now!!

28A, LOU WELLS, belair and 5 others like this.
  6. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Raimani959 I completely agree .I want to go with a different dash .The diamond plate has to go.The steering wheel is a copy made out of aluminum from 1940s yale forklift its 2 of them bolted together .

dirtcop likes this.
  7. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

wheel and tire combos guys throw some at me and pics if you want

8. 7.50s rear/ 5.50s front

9. Yep even if you went with radial equivalent ( like from Coker or Diamond back) loosing those sand buggy lookin' tires would help a ton.

There are a couple of things inside that I don't care for but tires would be my first order of the day.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Yo Beaner, ya don't like the diamond plate? :)

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is what Lakes tires look like. 7:00 or 8:00-18s in the rear. 5:50-15 in front. At least in my world. Dunlop sells a nice 7:00-18 tire (shown) and Rally America sells 18 inch rims. Fronts should be easy to find. 060913_091r8.jpg

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

With a little work, you can put 331 valve covers on that 472 to match the air cleaner and give it a vintage look. There are several different ways to accomplish that look.

1. Machine a plate that will bolt to the head in place of the 472 valve covers and drill the plate to accept the bolts for the 331 valve covers.
    2. Split the back of the 331 valve covers and slip them right over the 472 valve covers.
    3. Cut the script out of the 331 covers and weld into 472 covers.
    4. Just paint or decal script on 472 covers.
    1-3 also require figment of the PCV, but you'll figure that out if your into the vintage look.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Squablow likes this.
  13. Or the gauge panel either. But I am jaded.

The jury is still out to lunch on the steering wheel, it could grow on ya I suppose. ;)

Really makes me feel poor, I hate picking a man's car apart. :( Unless of course his name happens to be Richard Cranium then its Katy bar the door. :)

volvobrynk and Murphy32 like this.
  14. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Thats awesome barnfind .I like the 472 it runs great and is a torq monster .331 valve cover would be great

Barn Find likes this.
  15. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I don't mind you guys picking it apart .Already received some great ideas .

16. Squablow

Squablow

40-47 Mopar wheels are 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern and are 16x4 just like a '40 Ford wheel, they actually have a very similar look, they would be a good choice for a replacement rim if you're wanting to run 5.50 and 7.10 16" tires or similar. I think the car would benefit greatly from new non-radial tires and narrower fronts, even if they were still 15".

I like the idea of the 331 valve covers suggested above too. Black paint on the front of the aluminum radiator would really help disguise that electric fan, and a wider and less boxy rear window would do wonders too, even if it has to bolt-in to avoid too much welding or bodywork on the roof.

That, and a simple rework of the interior would make this car really sharp. There's a lot of good to work with on this one, it's got a lot of potential.

17. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Thank you i will look into those mopar wheels and the other great ideas

18. 34Larry

34Larry

Nice car. Agree with all on the wheel and tires. Go with what called "bigs and littles". When building from scratch this is the foundation of a car. I went with, front:195/50R15 and rear 285/70R15's. You may not like that as you say "skinny", but at least go with the bigs and littles.
    Just my opinion.

flyn schlosser likes this.
  19. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

That's got a good look. Since we're just bouncin' ideas--bigsnlittles, lose diamond plate- it adds another texture that's distracting from other coolness. A guy could take one layer off the steering wheel, it's actually got a cool shape. As mentioned, Maybe change back window, but It'll work for now.And 331 stuff for the engine would look right. Good start keep us posted!

flyn schlosser likes this.
  20. How about something like this white wall or blackwall.

The tires are Coker Classics- 560-15 & L78-15 on 5x15 & 6x15.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Don't forget, changing the tire diameter will effect engine rpm, although I'm not sure how much it matters with an automatic. I like 34Larry's wheel and tire combo too. Great start, more pics so we can "suggest" some more !

22. On the motor I would do one of two things I would either dress it for the prom, with what has been suggested or I would do my best to make it invisible by adding other traditional elements that distract the looker.

Those 472s and 500s are good engines by the way. You can still find them cheap-ish in good condition and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look for a spare while they still exist. With a second motor in good shape you have a lifetime car right there.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

HARP, do you know the wheel and tire combo on the pick up ? Thanks
    Dino

24. LOL he has posted it so many times I know it by heart, unfortunately my heart is not communicating with my brain today. :eek:

@HOTRODPRIMER post tire sizes for us here. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. I don't know if I'd do 16" wheels... but that's me. It's really a 'vintage' look and the rest of the car won't quite match. A set of junkyard 15x5 or 5.5 wheels for the front, about three or four sizes smaller tires on the front and maybe one or two larger on the back and you'd be there (watch aspect ratio, you don't want to go too wide). Carpet over the diamond plate, loose the steering wheel and the couch material door panels. Chrome rings on the headlight buckets, and lower the alternator down so it's less visible (maybe even paint it black). The rear window, dash, and taillight/trunk latch need work but will probably require bodywork and paint, so those could be optional. But all in all, a nice cruiser...

26. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

The gearing is low with no overdrrive so a taller tire would help .

27. It's in the post. HRP

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

At the very minimum , short narrow front tires , new rear window and chuck tke diamond plate if the engine compartment isn't too long to fit that big ol cad in there I would be tempted to make a full hood filled with louvers

Pretty good looking car over all though... I'd take it for sure

Is there a reason for running such tall tires up front?.. Like the motor sits too low?

29. Lots of potential there, for sure. When did your Dad build the car?

30. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Go to cadco.com I think. Have early Cad valve covers and adapters to late Cads.