Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods looking for single stage gloss black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.N.D., May 11, 2016.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I'am looking for some single stage gloss black to repaint my band saw case, and don't have a clue what brand to buy ?

Any help would sure be a plus

Thanks, Don

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

PPG works for me

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

If it is still available Sherwin Williams Super Coach black is the blackest black paint out there. Bob

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

black hammertone looks good.

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

X2 I believe it's still under the concept name. Joe

6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys on the tips for the paint, turns out there is a Sherwin Williams store pretty close and they can make up the Supercoach black from a pint to a gal kit for 190 bucks, looks like the way to go since the stuff will be inside and never see the light of day

Don

7. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Ditto on the PPG...Concept Single Stage is my $.02. Being a band saw case I'm not sure how much you want to spend. PPG will be pricey. Again, just my $.02 but I'd call SPI and get a quart of their black epoxy. It'll probably set you back about $79 for the epoxy and activator but I really like the SPI epoxy. Dries a little more glossy than a "major" brand epoxy like Sikkens or PPG but a heluva lot cheaper and just as quality. If I'm not mistaken that's free shipping on the SPI. Did my Nova with SPI and loved it.

8. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Looks like I have about 3 or 4 brands to choose from, plus will going to a new painter and see what he says too

Will put a pic of the saw case it is a cast iron body built before the war here in L.A., the wheels - blade all go in from the rear so it is really different

Thanks again guys, Don

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I buy "Restoration Shop" from a guy at the Long Beach HIPO swap meet for what you are doing for a whole lot less. The paint that Summit sells with the hardener and thinner was less than 100 last time I redid our race car. Speed Blue matches Chevron Blue aluminum sheets perfectly.

10. I like DuPont. Now you have almost all the brands just pick one. :D

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'd put Rust-oleum with hardner or something like it, a quart of it from WALMART is like 21 bucks I use the gray on my shop furniture It's not outside and holds up well.
    Cheap Man Cheap!