Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking for rust info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stresser, Nov 5, 2003.

1. stresser

stresser

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop or slow down rust till i can repair it . I just bought a 54 buick (see intro),my first project. But i live in new england with no garage so she will be stored outside till early spring,Im hopeing to have the interior out this weekend and then i'll cover it till spring. The front floors are shot but the back ones and the firewall are fine i need to stop it from spreading till spring ,also small spots on rockers and quarters .Any help would be great thanks

stresser
    [​IMG]

2. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Look in the Eastwood Catalog for "Rust Encapsulator". In this month's issue of "Auto Restorer" it got high marks, and was cheaper than POR-15... [​IMG]

3. Is the car striped to bare metal? If not then leave it alone. There's all kinds of stuff you can spray on it. From rust converters to all sorts of "home brews", and oils. Fact is rust is a slow process. If you realy are going to repair it in the next year or so, your better off to leave it alone.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I bought some stuff called RUST BULLET. It's a one step, two coat rust inhibitive coating. A quart cost $30 and will cover not only the underside of my 47 Olds but the floors inside and in the trunk as well, along with all the nooks and crannys that I see that might need covering.

Enjenjo sells the stuff. He's not only a memeber here but owns the RRT. He can be reached at

[email protected]

5. stresser

stresser

Tinbender ; its not bare metal but the paint is getting thin in some spots where can i find info on the "homebrews" you spoke of.
    thanks
    stresser

6. BigJim394

BigJim394

The deal is, if you leave a car outside in new england over dirt or grass, that the freeze thaw cycle of the earth regularly leaves a nice coating of dripping moisture on the bottom sheetmetal/floors/drivetrain every day. Thie even happens to some extent in unheated garages with dirt or concrete floors (wood floored garages dont have much of a problem).

Leaving a car outdoors around here for a couple of years almost guarantees rust on the bottom. If you got some pallets and put old sheets of plywood on them and put the car on that it would help. Oiling the bottom of the car with the thickest drain oil you can find (a practice locals use ilegally on their winter cars in Northern New England would also help. Get under the car and paint on thick drain oil on everyththing.
    They make big plastic bags you can put a car in, some with elec motors to move air around, but I don't know if they would stand up that well outside. You could put up one of those "portable garages" that are like a greenhouse frame with canvas/dacron, but I don't know how they hold up in a 2 foot blizzard. Good luck.

7. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

At $15 a quart and $6 a spray can ZeroRust runs circles around Rust Bullit and requires minimum prep work. It can also be sanded off later.
    Since it is a high solids product a little bit goes a long way. Plus it will keep protecting for many years if you dont get to the project next spring. Get it into as many exposed and even blind places as possible to retard any further spread. In RI as well as up here in NH it doesnt take too many ocean storms bringing in salt laden moisture to raise havoc.

As Jim said, use a pallet and some plywood, then also get cheap blue tarps at a flea market to cover the ground as a moisture barrier as well as cover the car. Remove pine sap and needles if you live in that type of area.

I'm the East Coast go-to for ZR and you can get more info from here:

www.zerorust.com

8. [ QUOTE ]
    RUST BULLET. A quart cost $30 and will cover not only the underside of my 47 Olds but the floors inside and in the trunk as well, along with all the nooks and crannys that I see that might need covering.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sprayed on or brushed on?

9. atch

atch

might i add that if you cover the car with a tarp or plastic do something to keep it up off of the roof/hood/deck lid. moisture will be trapped where the tarp/plastic touches the car and will actually accelerate the rust and be worse than not having it covered. i mean like using wood strips, building a small frame, or something similar to keep the tarp/plastic out of direct contact your metal.

i speak from experience...

10. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Seriously, try the ZeroRust, it is just awesome. If you can't get your hands on that get some Por15. Both are great. Por15 is kinda hard to get by walking into a store, but if you go to their web site you can find the nearest dealer - same goes for the ZeroRust. I personally recommend both products. READ everything you can about both of them - warnings especially....Safety first man.

11. stresser

stresser

thanks for all the info,this weekend ill asses the situastion .286merc i heer ya on the salt storm im only 523ft. of the bay on a point .Ya nice sea breaze but i cant keep paint on shit (house,fence,deck)and the city bitches about the little shelters its tough, but we'll figure something out. thanks
    stresser