Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for recommendations for spray bomb chassis paint

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by banjorear, Jan 14, 2018.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Looking for recommendations for spray bomb chassis paint. I know many have used box store off the shelf Rustolium, but curious if there are other products out there that work better or are more durable.

Thanks,

2. VHT Rollbar and Chassis paint is pretty good from my experience. Black is the only color but it does come gloss or satin.

Adam.L likes this.
  3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

HF carries a decent "Frame & Chassis" spray paint.

4. 56longroof

56longroof

I used Rustoleum 2X semi gloss black when I detailed the frame and suspension on my '56. Its been on there 2 years now and has held up great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Another vote for Rustoleum 2X.
    We use it over etching primer but it does a great job by itself.
    Takes all day to dry. 20180105_093958.jpg

6. banjorear

banjorear

OK, great. About how many cans did it take to do the chassis? Aerocolor, did you use it on your motor as well?

7. 56longroof

56longroof

I don't remember how many cans I bought. I did my engine bay also. If I had to guess I'd say maybe a dozen by the time I was done. But that includes all the suspension,springs, firewall, inner fenders and core support.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Depends on the size of the car. My morris Minor has an 87 inch wheelbase and a Cadillac commercial frame will be almost twice as long.

9. banjorear

banjorear

OK, that helps. '32 chassis so I'd assume a dozen cans as well.

10. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

KBS has a lot of spay can paints from primers,to top coats to high heat paints and primers, I've used it and it works very well, but it likes sand blasted areas the best, prep work is a pain in the neck, needs to be clean and then washed with their kleen solution, but that does work I didn't do that step and paid dearly for it one time, but as any spray can it takes several coats to get where you want it, it is durable, also their pint or quarts can be brushed on I used that on a truck frame and I steamed cleaned and wire wheeled the scuz off and used the kleen, and brushed on two coats one of rust seal and the other a top coat, came out looking real good, it is a self leveling paint so it has to go on in thin coats.

59 restomod corvette likes this.
  11. NWRacing

NWRacing

If you have access to Kimball Midwest their line of spray can paints is very high solids and lays down like spraygun type paint. We painted some equipment with it at work at it has held up for years and still looks shiny and new.

12. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Rustoleum is great, I use their bed coating over it on some stuff. You can get either in qts, but a HF $10.00 spray gun and save money. If you drill the nozzle out to a 1/16 , you can spray it. Rustoleum etching primer is some really tuff stuff also.

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

Duplicolor engine paint with ceramic... Works great and lasts if you make sure the frame is real clean. I have used it on frames and suspension parts and it keeps it's gloss or sheen well.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. I used the VHT chassis & rollcage black too. Look for 6-packs on eBay or Amazon.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not cheap but worth it, Eastwood 2K chassis black. Catalyzed enamel in a spray can. Wear a respirator!

IronTrap and lurker mick like this.
  16. Adam.L

Adam.L

Another vote for VHT chassis paint. Best spray bomb paint I've used.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

I use Krylon Rust Tough for most of my chassis painting. If you prep well and primer first, it will last for years and cleans up with just a wipe with a rag. I've used Rustoleum, but mostly its the Krylon stuff on the chassis' of my cars.

porknbeaner likes this.
  18. I second Krylon. It even ages like factory paint.

19. I like the stuff the Eastwood Company sells A LOT. Not cheap but worth every penny. I used it on a 66 GTO I had and 20k miles later (when I totaled it) it still looked new

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

IronTrap and lurker mick like this.
  20. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I tried the brush on method one time.
    Never again. Takes too long and I didn't like the texture.
    We buy Rustoleum 2X by the case so I think six cans did the frame. Covers well.
    I've used Chassis black, POR15, Rustoleum brush on and Krylon. 2X works best for me.
    As far as the engine, always engine high temp paint.

21. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I have had good results with rustoleum,I am always careful to use Rustoleum rusty metal primer with it as the paint seems to stay on better with that.

22. Eastwood chassis black. Spray or brush. Easy peasy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

59 restomod corvette likes this.
  23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

A buddy just used some hirsch auto chassis paint, brushed it on and said it layed down nice.

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

I use Farm & Fleet Anti-Rust in a qt can, and spray it on with a cheap HF gun. Covers well and holds up well. Drys pretty slow though. The quart cans sprayed on are the least expensive way to paint the frame.
    The 2nd option is the Rustoleum 2X spray bombs. Gene

25. LostBoy

LostBoy

Hammerite smooth finish works well and dries hard.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I liked the Eastwood stuff when I tried it but you can get that extra can of Krylon or Rustoleum at the corner hardware store when you run a little short. We ordered several cans and one was a misfire, too much trouble to return a can of paint and wait for more. Better to buy paint local.

27. I use "Blitz Black" in aerosol and quarts available at the John Deere store. Perfect satin finish. It is said a person could paint dirt with this stuff

bchctybob likes this.
  28. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

Good info here...Thanks to all!

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

I started buying Rustoleum in qt. cans and have a Harbor Freight gun dedicated for that use. Thin it with acetone and it works great for chassis and fender well and floor pans. Way cheaper than spray bomb paint. The new spray bombs have a tendency to have more leakage around the nozzles and plugged up cans . I always turn them upside down and spray them out and soak the nozzles in paint thinner, but you still have too much waste. I have also brushed it on with foam brushes and rolled it on with foam rollers with good results.

bchctybob likes this.