Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for recommendations for '26-27 Model T Perimeter Frame, Full Fendered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Will Kimble, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

I have a beautiful '26-27 touring body stashed away and access to nice fenders. I have the hood, grill windshield, even a decent stock interior. Would like to build something like this:

claytonandchristouring.jpg

Who out there builds a new boxed frame that would be a suitable foundation? Not interested in playing with a stock T frame and most of what I have found is T-bucket stuff. Would probably use a small OHV 4 cylinder, maybe a Chevy II or MGB?

Thanks,
    Will Kimble

GuyW and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. That would be very cool. Trying to remember if Mark Morton had build info on his in the older HopUp mag. Maybe you have the issue. There was another mag editor that has/had a 27 full fendered roadster that I've seen at NSRA Nats, Louisville.

3. 26Troadster

26Troadster
    from Texas

don't know of anybody that builds frames for a touring but i bet someone here does. most folks build their own frame. i do know a kick up on the rear of a touring doesn't work real well. if you have the t frame you might could copy it on the rear and do what you want to the front. i myself if i was going to run fenders i would copy the whole frame but build it out of box tubing.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

What is a 'perimeter' frame and how is it different from any other frame?

5. Blake 27

Blake 27

All of these cars feature chassis built by Ray Zarick at The Model T Shop in Sacramento Ca.
    Ray has been building frames and anything else needed for a hot rod project for many years.
    916-447-6551 1.jpg 27 roadster pu 008.jpg DSC00872.JPG Screenshot-2017-11-020.jpg 1926_Ford_ModelTModifiedTiffanyRaceCar_177ci_22.5HP_4Cylinder_FrontView.jpg HPIM1286.JPG DSC04322.JPG 2.JPG

cactus1 likes this.
  6. The answer is always the same with this question about late T bodies. You use an A Model frame.

flatford39 and bct like this.
  7. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Thank you Blake 27, that is a great lead!

"Stay off my lawn!" manyolcars. Lol

Do you really think a Model A frame is the answer when using Model T fenders & running boards X38? Maybe it is, but I would think it a better choice if you were using '28-29 fenders & running boards. I have considered cracking my touring body in half and using a Model A pickup bed and '28-29 fenders. Would solve a lot of problems. But that isn't really what this thread is about....

8. carcruse

carcruse

Joe Mayall had an article in Rod Action in the late 70's with plans for the frame he made for his 27 T Touring. Maybe you can find those plans and have someone weld you up one locally. I used his plans with some modifications to build the new frame under this car:
    27 Ford 002.jpg

9. carcruse

carcruse

Found the plans. They were in the January 1978 issue.

27frame plan1.jpg 27frame plan2.jpg

10. Blake 27

Blake 27

The diagram above uses basic T dimensions (20" inside the frame rails) with body mount pads (figure 8) added to the outside of the frame. The Model T Shop frame is widened behind the radiator giving added room for steering and exhaust. The added width eliminates the body mount pads, the body bolts directly to the top of the frame using stock body mounts. The center cross member and running board brackets are all tied together making a very ridged chassis. All the original parts (body, fenders,running boards etc) bolt on without modification. Ray used my cross members from 57 (37 front end model A with 41 rear end)
    Obviously I'm very happy with my Model T Shop Chassis!
    Should you decide to build your own frame I'd suggest some of these mods (widening etc) DSC06094 (2).JPG DSC06008.JPG DSC06010.JPG

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Stogy, The37Kid and RICH B like this.
  11. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Thanks Blake 27, those pictures are super!

12. @Blake 27 Is that front crossmember a trimmed to shape length of heavy structural angle?
    Lots of neat stuff and detail on your chassis.

13. Yes I do. Many T tourings (and roadsters) have been built on A frames.
    Use this [​IMG]at the top of the page. It's the search function. Believe me, you're not the first to ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    cactus1 likes this.
  14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

For what it's worth, the T in the drawing of which my avatar is a detail actually has a perimeter frame. The idea is that you sit between the rails with the footwells protruding underneath. Apart from being is fairly realistic scale and proportion it's a pure flight of fancy, though. Chances are I'd find that there's no room for a transmission or something like that if I were to try actually to build it.

That just by the way.

15. Blake 27

Blake 27

Yes Rich, it's 5/16" angle that was originally fabricated in 56 or 57 when the car was first built.
    When I stripped the red paint off, it was Caterpillar yellow under.
    It's true that lots of model Ts were built using A frames.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

16. flatford39

flatford39

I will second the A frame. It is plentiful and will work well for your application. With one of those four cylinders you are contemplating I wouldn't even box it in.

17. rpent

rpent

I also have 2 26 tourings.Im going to build one fender less with a s.b.chevy and sell the other one.What if any drawbacks would I have using a model A frame?..Also I have thought about buying some 32 rails from speedway then tailoring them to go under my tub.Any feedback is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. That blue tub is the business! Love your truck too @Blake 27 !

19. Going 26/27 T full fendered on an A chassis isn't direct fit anything however I like my results so far. The Frame is wider over all and a longer wheel base. To use 27 Fenders and headlight bar you gotta get a little Crafty. Running board mounts are a hand build. If you don't shorten the Frame you must lengthen the running boards as well as splash aprons. To mount the steering column in the stock dash relief ya gotta get Crafty again. If ya don't shorten the Frame ya need to make a longer hood. Get the picture yet. I still like how this is coming along. I still need to build a new top tank for the 28/29 Rad to lower the front of the Hood among many other things but hay, it does run and drive now and it's all Henry. (except that Alt)
    20180404_153218.jpg
    The Wizzard

brEad and 302GMC like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]I've seen this T Roadster twice at the LARS, really nice looking car, thanks for the chassis details. Bob