Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects looking for photos of pillar less 4 doors

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bouoy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. I am designing a car and I want to make it a pillarless with a sucide rear door I am unable to locate some pictures of of the jambs. If someone has some photos can you please share them Thank you.

2. 41 C28

41 C28

Do search for "4 door hardtop". Lincoln Continentals had rear suicide doors.

3. Even the Lincoln Continental had a B pillar . HRP

4. <<<< This one.

5. The Lou Costabile 1932 Ford 4 door highboy sedan is the only car I can think of that doesn't have a B pillar. HRP

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  6. Go down to most any new pickup dealer and look at the extended cab versions they offer. These have small rear 'half' doors with no B pillar.

clem likes this.
  7. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I was on that same page, and came up with this:
    Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Extended-Cab-Exterior.jpg
    I know the picture is a few years past HAMB friendly period, but it might help.

8. redo32

redo32

9. Another alternative would be the '61-up Lincoln 4-door convertibles; they have a B pillar, but it's only visible when both doors are open.

10. redo32

redo32

^^^ This is Don Smith's Riddler Contender. Google it & get more pictures. You can see the latch on the sill, I presume there is one for the top of the door also. What year of car are you building?

11. clem

clem

You could also make a removable b pillar, depending on what you are trying to achieve.

12. Ty guys I was talking with someone who talked me into doing a carson or gaylord top with piller less design on my 53.

13. I would think if you are planning on cutting the top off of a 4-door and removing the B-pillar, you better plan on a lot of bracing in both the body and the chassis.

Mick

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  14. 55willys

55willys

57-58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham is a 4 door hard top that is pillarless. It has a cast bracket attached to the floor and holds the strikers. the doors have a seal that is spring loaded and the door edges are flat where they meet. Here is a photo with the doors open. cadillac eldo brougham.jpg

_justakid_ and Nailhead Brooklyn like this.
  15. I doubt i will pull the whole piller I might just cut it down at the tops of the doors. But yeah alot of bracing would have to be done to get it straight after that much was removed.. Thank you for the advice

16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Might not hurt to check out early->mid '30s convertible sedans. Usually had a B pillar even w/the tops of the doors, but w/a bit of bracing, ala late-model 4dr pu's (as noted), it'd give the effect you want.
    FWIW.
    Marcus...

17. 3 Way hearses had a side door that opened suicide, which held the latch for the front door. They are also noted for severe sag and bodies that go out of whack.

Cosmo

18. Fender1325

Fender1325

56 cadillac sedan deville

19. 'Mo

'Mo

[​IMG]

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

My GMC Sierra has those pillarless doors,but you have open the front doors first to get the rear doors open.I guess 57-58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham style doors are what you are looking for..

21. Yes I believe this will be a better bet and less of a pain to mess with.. Thanks for the pictures. I am researching Ifs's so far I heard a lot of junky brands but not one that stands out. ,
    But to get back to the topic at hand I will just add some bear claws and flip them. since i have to replace the rockers on both sides I can go in and add some extra support in that channel to make sure there is no sag. Thank you for the input. G

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

53 what? It would help to know what you are working on.

You need to examine some 4 door hardtops from the 50s since this is what you want to build. Particularly hardtops of the make you are working on.

Start by adding bracing before you cut out any pillars. You will need to reinforce the rocker panel area and the door posts.There may be extra reinforcing in the cowl and under the dashboard as well.