Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for Pexto info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black Primer, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Black Primer

Black Primer

I picked these up yesterday. I thought it was a hell of a deal, so I took them all. Will these work for auto sheetmetal, or are they more for thinner stuff like heating and cooling work?

Here's what I got....Throatless shear, no name that I can see yet. Have to clean them all up.

Pexto edger? bead roller? with 8" throat

Pexto 36" slip roller.

Pexto bar folder 30".

Dake arbor press #1 1/2.

Any info, specs, capacities, would be appreciated. Are they worth $350?

Attached Files:

2. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

You're definately not hurt. Nice score.

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thanks, I'm really looking for info on the throatless shear. Is it a Beverly???

4. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

5. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

That was a great score. The shear is a Beverly, it looks like.

6. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

The slip roll is worth 350...the throatless shear looks like a beverly B1 model good for 11ga (1/8") the bead roller is also a 3-400 dollar find...how many dies came with it???the flat folder I am not to sure of...I have always used strait/finger breaks, but pretty much everyting else should do up to 18 ga , without too much trouble...the bead roller /slip roller are very similar to units I have used in the past with 16 ga...oh the press would probably be good for using flaring dies to jaz up lightning holes,,,,Shawn

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Looks like a 30 or 36" set of slip rollers,probably around 20 gage capacity, a beverly shear, top quality, guessing 10 gage, a model 622 rotary tool that you can use for rolling beads, crimping, turning various edges, rated at 22 gage if I remember correctly, and a bar folder, basically a small brake used for sheetmetal connecting( HVAC) fittings. Would guess you have maybe have a grand to 1100 worth of stuff, if you advertise to the right folks. Looking at much more for new stuff. You just did what the Harbor Freight shoppers should be doing, nice deal, try to hang on to this stuff. Most of it was made right down the road here in Conn.

8. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Nice going! That looks like a Beverly shear! That alone is worth the $350 you paid. The slip-roll is probably worth $100-$150. The small brake maybe $50-$100. Those edging tools usually bring $75 and up depending on capacity, most of them are for 20ga for sheetmetal ducting use. The arbor press, $50-$75. These are all guesstimates for retail prices on used tools.
    Of course, right now with the economy in the shape it's in, they're worth what you can get for them. Realistically about half of what they would be worth under a stronger economy. The pricing I quoted would be in that stronger economy. Right now, I dunno ...

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

9. Black Primer

Black Primer

Those are the only dies I got with the bead roller. The bar folder has some welding done to the handle, so it's probably not worth so much, but it still seems pretty sturdy.

A guy really dosen't realize how cheezy the harbor freight stuff is untill you campare it to some good old American iron!

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Dies are still available for the 622, and quite often on ebay. New ones are around $950 now, got $400 for my old one (with tooling), when I replaced it with a 12" throat Niagra beader my pal sold me for two bills....keep looking 'cause it's fun to trade up once you have the ball rolling.

11. i believe that shear is a B-3..... you got a smoking deal

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

PEXTO info? OK, They were originally called Peck, Stowe, and Wilcox. Just giving you a hard time. You really made a nice score! Congrats!

13. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

The shear does look like a beverly. I think it's bigger than a B-1.

B-1 doesn't have the hold down piece on the side I know a B-3 does have that piece not sure about a B-2.

It's at least a B-2 maybe a B-3 either of which is easily worth $350.00 in used condition.

In other words you got a smokin' deal :D way to go!!

14. Black Primer

Black Primer

Are there no markings on a beverly?

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

IIRC the Beverly shears are easilily identified by the length of the cutting jaws. And I also agree it's definitely BIGGER than a B1 (at least all teh B1's I've seen do not have that hold down slot). ANyways I just measured my B3 - the lower jaw is 5-7/16" long the upper about 6-1/4" (+).

Sweet score - the B3 is worth the total purchase price!!!

The Beverly's have a rivit on tag - often missing.

16. beat53chevy

beat53chevy

17. Homemade44

Homemade44

You paid about 1/3 of the used price for the Dake 1-1/2 press if it is in good condition and complete with stand. The rest you got for nothing. One of the best deals I have seen in a while. Pexto is owned by Roper Whitney. I wish I could find equipment like that for the prices some are quoting.

18. AG F/C

AG F/C

Definitely looks like a true Beverly shear.
    Like HR wrote about the tag and I think I can see the remnants of the rivets.

SCOOOOOOOORE!!! :D

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If, by chance, you feel like you got ripped of just give me a call. I can make sure you get reimbursed on your purchase price and lets say................. a $100 profit.:cool::)

Frank

20. Beverly Shear Mfg

Beverly Shear Mfg
    from Dyer,IN

The shear that you were able to get is a B-3. Easily identified by the material hold down assembly protruding from the center of the blade holder. That looks like a pre 1965 model which is a steel frame with about 20% MORE rigidity than the later models. A factory refurbished unit from that era would sell in the $800 to $1000 range and would be back to new condition. You got your moneys worth on that tool alone.