Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for paint help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hd1084, Nov 10, 2015.

1. I have always used PPG paint products. However with the high price tag of todays products I was looking at maybe trying Eastwoods single stage acrylic urethane. Has anyone had any experience with this product good or bad ?

2. Dave1946

Dave1946

Just painted mt 55 Pontiac wagon with Summit single stage and it looks great. At 80 bucks a gallon it's tough to beat. I used their filler primer and epoxy primer too. If my kid was home (I'm almost computer illiterate) I'd post some pics.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Martin Senour /Finish 1 from your local NAPA, I've been shooting a lot of their stuff and so far been very happy with it

'59DaddyO and belair like this.
  4. bondolero

bondolero

Have not used Eastwoods SS but have used TCP Global out of San Diego. I have found it to be comparable to Nason and Omni. That said, I am not a pro and the Dupont and PPG top of the line cost 3+ times that and I really can't tell a lot of difference for the price. The jobber will argue hold out and coverage but coverage can be somewhat overcome by using a compatible color of primer imo.

Someone on here will know who makes Eastwoods paint.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

5. belair

belair

Napa stuff has served me well.

'59DaddyO likes this.
  6. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Nason Single Stage urethane cant be beat,have painted some cars 5 years ago,still look good today,these are newer vehicles that arent waxed or babied either,price is good on it too,highly recommend it. Harvey

7. I seen some bad reviews on their web site from a couple that used it and said it was thick and to hard to spray. However my first guess was they did not reduce it properly.

Paint Guru likes this.
  8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I used Omni products to fix my daily driver 9 years ago, looked great till last summer and now its cloudy and looks like shit! :mad:

9. brady1929

brady1929

Good paint thread.

10. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I manufacture coatings, send me a pm on what you are looking for and I can build for you, I am not the cheapest but I don't make junk. All our resin comes from Akzo and our pigments are non fading Automotive Grade. You can call or text any time if there are issues. And with us at least its not some private label big box store deal that doesn't really care if you are satisfied or not.
    And if you don't go with me DEFINITELY steer clear of a lot of economy lines that are mentioned on this thread. I can show you test results on the short life span of these. 1 of these we saw fading in as little as 6 months. We have whats called an extreme weather chamber and 1 day basically represents 1 year. You would be surprised how many coatings don't make it passed 1 day.
    Your thought process is the whole reason I got into this side of the business 14 years ago. It pisses me off when I see base coats and acrylic urethane paints at $300-$500 gallon. Now there are some pigments that are just freaking expensive but they don't cost that much to justify that high of a price. Good luck on your venture and if I can help just ask, and I will give you honest answers.

Atwater Mike and pitman like this.
  11. abone1930

abone1930

I used TCP GLOBAL, Restoration shops white, and there Kustom Shops blue metallic and clear. Paint has been on my car 4yrs, and are current picks. Now it is garage kept :)I have less than 600 in all my paint materials, very good products for the money. I have used them for 2 cars now and pleased. Check them out.

Attached Files:

bondolero likes this.
  12. flatford39

flatford39

Another vote here for TCP Global. You can even get acrylic lacquer if that is what you prefer. I have had good results with their single stage urethanes.

13. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Also one thing I would recommend everyone do before you buy material from somewhere, call that company and say, "We have problems, I have painted 3 cars with your paint and it's peeling off in sheets" the companies answer to that should help you decide whether or not you should do business with them. A warranty is only as good as the person that stands behind it. Now would it have been a problem with the paint, highly unlikely, but something happened and it should be the responsibility of the paint suppliers to help you through the process to see what actually happened and help prevent future issues. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Ordered up some tcp global acrylic urethane chassis black to shoot the underside body on my OT project, will report back when I get a chance to shoot it. Going over dp90lf in some areas and UPOL gravitex in other areas.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like Paint Guru is a good resource right here. don't forget Sherman Williams Automotive Paint.

16. abone1930

abone1930

A couple of more picks with TCP Global, this is before the cut and buff, and I am not a professional painter, but Im still experienced over the years on my own stuff. Paint Guru your prices don't seam bad especially with primer included . What colors for that price ?

Attached Files:

17. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Any color, Red, yellows whites blacks, its easier to do it this way, I make more money on whites and blacks (just being honest) but its easier for people to budget when I keep it the same. Now if I have to add pearl to the paint to match, its $0.55 per gram on the pearl. But usually there isnt much pearl in the paint and I can absorb the cost. Also the metallics I use are a special acid resistant metallic its great for single stage, but its actually a duplicate metallic of your 50's, 60's and 70's (poly type) metallics used back in the day. I have all the oem colors from 1936-1974 and I can color match any color, just ship me a piece and give me a week and I will ship back to you, same price for this service. I can put in any technology: Enamel, Acrylic Enamel, Acrylic Urethane, Poly Urethane, Vinyl lacquer, Sealer, I have a new POR-15 type product I can build in any color but its being tested now, and a base coat. Same price for any of these except Enamel which is cheaper. Activator is $35 Quart, 1 activator for the whole system, which makes it easier as well.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, you don't like some of the cheaper paint lines. That makes sense. And you think that some of the better paints are overpriced.
    Where does that leave us ?
    How does what you do compare to a premium quality paint such as BSAF Glasurit 22 Line SS urethane ?

19. Used Eastwood paints on my 39 . Looked great first 2 years although it didn't seam as hard as some . Fading the last 4 years , and seams to get rock chips . It's not a show car , so I'm pretty happy . Oh , gas stained pretty bad around filler .

20. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

It's not just cheaper paint lines, its some of the major paint companies cheaper paint lines. There is great paint out there priced very reasonable with a very low price. There are a few companies out there that make great paint so cheap I dont know why they do it. Its hard work!!!
    When you buy automotive paint, the reason the price is so high (example the Glasurit line) is you are paying for color match, and major paint companies know how the market is priced and will not leave any money on the table. We buy some resin and a lot of our pigments from BASF. They have great products but I guarantee it only cost them about $15/gallon if that to make that gallon of paint. But it makes you feel warm and fuzzy when you pay $475 a gallon for it. And they deserve some of what they charge, you dont realize how much work it takes to maintain color formulas, new car colors, new industrial colors, then alternates to new car colors. Thats why we focus on the fleet, industrial, restoration market and the guys doing all over paint jobs, . But really in a nut shell when you compare quality, it boils down to the resin and the quality of the pigment. No paint store, no painter and very few paint reps can tell you the quality of resin used in alot of paints. It takes people testing the products side by side and really taking their word for it.
    Also what are you looking for? Lets say you think the Glasurit Line is the best in quality, well if you put that on a big rig, that goes cross country and gets the acid washes every other day, the coating would be shot in 2 years tops, It should have got a Polyurethane vs a Acrylic Urethane for that application. So even though the quality is top notch, it still wont last due to the environment. So depending on how you want the coating to perform, and what its going to be subjected to depends a lot on the type paint you should get. For a restoration job Acrylic Urethanes like the 22 line, would be sufficient. Acrylics buff easy, its easy to repair, has a fast dry time, and good chemical resistance.
    So to answer your question, "What do I do, for quality as to compare with the 22 line?" its simple - I find out what the customer wants and what he needs then I build to spec. I know our resin, I am a painter so I know how the coating is going to perform even before the painter sprays it.

JOYFLEA and Atwater Mike like this.
  21. clem

clem

^^^^^ at $475 gallon it probably makes BASF warm and fuzzy also......

da34guy and Paint Guru like this.
  22. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Hell I've got some paint I can't get $25 / gallon for. If I told any of my regular customers anything over $250, I would get punched in the throat!

clem likes this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I suppose it's all about what you want as far as finish and durability. A paint that would stand up as you suggest to the life of a semi truck is not necessarily what you need on a hot rod.
    This is my buddy's 27 T RPU that is painted with Glasurit 22 SS. The paint is 25 years old in this picture and it looks amazing.
    100_3248.jpg