Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Looking for my dads supercharged ‘50 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanCollins, Dec 27, 2021.

1. DanCollins

DanCollins

1A6D6C92-8442-4932-9C1F-198E5C87F636.jpeg Hey all. Been a while. I’m trying to see if I can find any leads on my dads 1950 Mercury coupe that he had when I was a kid in the 80s. I know it’s a long shot with how these cars get customized and cut up, but this one was a little bit different than the average stocker. It had a McCulloch supercharger installed on the flathead from the dealer in 1950. It was still in the original black paint with a little gray primer showing through the roof last I saw it. It had the visor and drivers side spotlight and skirts all from day 1. He sold it to a Native American artist in New Mexico in the 80s when a strike kept him from working for about a year. The last time I saw it the artist(Randy) had replaced the original mohair interior with black and pink tuck n roll(it was the 80’s). If anyone remembers seeing a McCullouch powered merc even if it was chopped or a different color, please let me know. I would love to find out what happened to it. Thanks in advance. I hope this thread doesn’t get too buried.

Attached Files:

2. I wish that I can help! I live in central Kansas, with not much going on. Except when KKOA Lead Sled happens in Salina, KS during the hot summer. I will be on the watch out for a McCullouch powered Merc.

DanCollins and Deuces like this.
  3. Nice Merc......and good luck with your search !

DanCollins and Deuces like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump to the top

lothiandon1940 and DanCollins like this.

5. DanCollins

DanCollins

7DBF517B-26B2-4BDA-ADA1-91FC0D41D337.jpeg EF384C11-E545-4470-ADCF-68B53B72B73B.jpeg Thanks guys. Found a couple more color pics of the car taken back in the 80’s. I am going to call an art gallery in Santa Fe who represents the artist who bought the car and see if I can get a hold of him. That came through on a Facebook group for 49-51 merc folks. Hopefully that’ll give me some more info.

6. DanCollins

DanCollins

BTTT
    Last lead was a dead end. Still looking…

7. DanCollins

DanCollins

bump to the top. while searching for my dads car I found a nice 49 coupe that I pulled the trigger on. still hoping to find my dads 50 though. any leads would be greatly appreciated.

8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

lothiandon1940 and DanCollins like this.
  9. DanCollins

DanCollins

wow, that could definitely be the car with a few modifications. would love to see more pics of it. was it for sale or just on display at a show?

Joe Blow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. DanCollins

DanCollins

my dads had a drivers side spotlight though and I'd be surprised if someone would have removed it but you never know...

lothiandon1940 and Joe Blow like this.
  11. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Looks like a show, you could snoop around on that website and see if there would be a contact for someone to see if they would have a lead on the owner. Also, not an expert on 50 Mercs......is that hub cap/wheel combo (or wheel cover) standard factory? Because they are the same on both cars.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Yeah, the good thing on that is there always seems to be two camps on spotlights......you either like em or hate em. May have had an owner that didn't like it......and if you want to change the entire look of a visored car....you just remove the visor. All very much conjecture but ya never know.....it could just be the one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

DanCollins likes this.
  14. DanCollins

DanCollins

thanks Joe! Good looking out. yeah those are the stock '50 caps and rings. I'll try calling him this week. Meanwhile my '49 just arrived from Oklahoma yesterday...

Joe Blow likes this.
  15. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Good deal man.....let us know how it shakes out.