Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for "Lil Ebony" - 35 Ford pick-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bull, Jan 4, 2008.

1. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Bull, Is there any magazine articles on this rod ? Also was there any color pix of 'Lil Ebony ?

Dave

2. Bull

Bull

I was given this pic of Lil Ebony last weekend at the GSTA show. WAY cool pic. Love the detail it shows. Look at the belly burners. I've never seen anything like them.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Besty34

Besty34

Clone it , it's a cool truck

4. Bull

Bull

We may have located the contact info for the owner . . .

5. Mike W.

Mike W.

I love this thread and it brings back many memories for me as in '69 after my first tour I replaced the '49 Merc flattie in my '35 Ford pickup with a '52 Merc flattie. Mine was Competetion orange with cream colored wire wheels, bobbed rear fenders and '49 Poncho tail lights, it even had a spare on each side of the bed similar to the one shown and I was told it was a factory option. In '70 I was going to Nam again and was lucky enough to find an older couple with a stock '36 sedan that had been in the family since new and they offered to keep my '35 in their locked garage while I was gone and wash it and keep it running for me. While I was gone one of my favorite songs was 'Stickshift' by the Duals as it was the sound of a flattie starting and running through the gears. Anyway I got back and my truck was waiting, life was good. :) Fast forward a bit and I got orders over again, which I fought but it looked like I had no chance so I sold my '35 and a week later they changed my orders to the Bay area. Better I guess but I still miss my truck. :( Good luck in your search.

6. Bull

Bull

Thanks for the story Mike.

7. nomadxp1

nomadxp1
    from Texas

Just 2 cents more on Bill and Lil Ebony..I hung around a lot with Bill in those days..Lil Ebony's "belly burners " were driveshafts that Bill had chromed..with the flathead and the cam he was running they sounded good..also the running board covers were not what Bill wanted to do but Mn law said he had to have the GW (gross weight) on the vehicle ..so he had it painted that info on the edge of the boards and had the covers made for them for shows..I owned a big Olds named "Mr Ebony" :) at the same time.

8. Bull

Bull

Wow . . . I just now saw this post. Thank you! Any more insight or stories? :)

9. Bull

Bull

10. Bull

Bull

So here's the update I've been waiting to give . . . I found Lil Ebony! My dad came across a scrap of paper he had written the owners contact info on 20 some years ago. With a bit of internet sleuthing I came up with a name, address and phone number. I talked to Paul, the owner of Lil Ebony, last night. He told me how I had made his day . . . and I told him how he had made my year and then some. :)

Paul bought the truck in the Minneapolis area where he lived at the time and drove it to Montana in about 1976. He used the truck as a hauler and even hauled all the lumber from the mill to build his home. He said he hasn't changed the truck and it still wears the MN Pioneer license plate it had when it lived here. Lil Ebony has a flathead back in it, but hasn't seen the road in 20+ years. Paul assured me that the truck is in safe keeping and is going to do his best to get me some current photos.

While he isn't ready to sell Lil Ebony, I am relieved that the truck still lives. Unchanged at that! Perhaps Paul will someday give me the opportunity to bring her home one day to be reunited with the flathead that was between the rails when it was hot rodded in the early 60's as I have the engine and all its hop up parts in my possession still. Until then, I'm happy to know she has a good caretaker and I'm hoping to possibly go visit Lil Ebony and Paul next summer.

I'll post pics as soon as Paul is able to get them for me. :)

11. jmh

jmh

YEEEAAAHHH!! Super KOOL!!!!! This is great news!! John

12. LongT

LongT

Now that is COOL!! Congratulations and BEST of LUCK getting it back!!

Bill

13. randy

randy

14. racemad55

racemad55

Like was said earlier,build a clone,the clock is ticking for all of us,when the day comes if it does that he will sell it back then sell yours,don't procrastinate like many do,get something done!

15. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most people, like myself don't like pushy people. But if it were me, I think a road trip to see the truck would be in order. Maybe when the guy saw you were interested enough to do that. He might think more of selling it to you.

16. C.G

C.G
    from AL.

I just read this entire thread and I can't tell how excited I was to read that you've found the truck. You've got to go see it, and maybe someday it can be yours.

17. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

Good story. Hope you can get it back, at least the owner knows where he can sell it if changes his mind.

18. Bull

Bull

I'm in no rush to build a clone of the truck as some have suggested. I've got plenty of other projects to keep me busy while I wait patiently for the real truck to come back home. If it's meant to be, it will be. I'm just happy to know the truck has survived. It may be a bit worse for the wear, but it's still intact. Can't wait to see current pics. I sent an e-mail to the current owner with some pics and history on the truck as he didn't know much of it. Right now I'm just hoping to establish a relationship so I may be able to take a roadtrip to see Lil Ebony in person.

19. daddio211

daddio211

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Far out! So glad you found it. If it were me, I'd go visit it....and I'd bring a roll of cash.....just in case....:)

21. Bull

Bull

Still working on the owner to get me current pics. May be awhile with snow on the ground and the truck buried in his garage though.

In the meantime, here's an engine bay pic I found just today through the magic of social networking! Taken by Eugene Vic at the Toppers Show in Fargo, ND in 1961.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the bay was painted yellow. Chrome yellow according to my uncle. The engine I have from the truck is painted the same color. I am told this was a trick to make all the chrome goodies really pop.

FYI, this is the only pic I've seen with these wheels. The pic is a bit blurry, so I'm having a hard time picking out exactly what they are.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  22. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They look like early Ford 16"s with sections painted and a bullet center.

23. Bull

Bull

You may be right, Wade. I see that now that you mention it.

24. well if you cant have the truck I will give you the original picture

25. Bull

Bull

Awesome! Thanks Eugene!

26. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

I just had lunch at a diner here today and Paul who I worked with at the local sawmill here 25 years ago said he still has Lil Ebony... with the flathead and it is black now ... I think if you hit him up he would sell it... he was depressed that he hadn't started or drove it in so long and that it is just wasting away... contact me and I will try to have him get some photos for you . i just ran a search on the web tonight and this site (which I am on quite a bit) popped up. i would love a fellow Hamber to end up with this truck.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    volvobrynk, daddio211 and kiwijeff like this.
  27. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

I might ad that he mentioned it was originally
    White with flames up the sides so I know it is the right Paul!

28. Bull

Bull

29. belair

belair

Great cars have great stories. Thanks for sharing this one.

30. Hoping for a positive outcome. :)