Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for input

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Giant, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

As of right now, I have two project cars, a 56 Chevy Bel Air 4 door sedan and a 56 Buick Special 2 door HT. I'm not getting rid of either one, but I am having trouble deciding which to focus on first.

What I wanted to do was this: turn the Buick into a driver, as is, rust and all. It has a 322 that runs (with a bad fuel pump, so it doesn't run for long) and a Dynaflow - no idea of the condition of that or the rear end since I can't drive the car. The car also doesn't have the gas tank installed, and the gas tank will definitely need cleaned and sealed, likely a new sending unit, and has two rust holes in it.

The brakes on the Buick are shot; and that is bad - thats a wacky one year only master cylinder and there is no cheap or easy fix. The floors are also shot and the rockers have large holes in them. The Buick has most of its interior still there, albiet it's very worn. Headlights and taillights work, but no brake lights and the turn signals don't appear to function. Driver's side window is cracked badly, but the other glass is surprisingly good.

They Chevy is less rusty. Still needs floors, but the rockers aren't half bad. Trunk is solid, where as the Buick has holes. Unfortunately, the Chevy doesn't have an engine at the moment. It's set up for an SBC and a TH350 (or 4 speed or whatever else is the same length - I happen to have a Muncie and bellhousing sitting on my garage floor) . I know where I can pick up a running 350 for less than $250.

The front end of the Chevy is completely rebuilt; new springs, ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, idler arm bushings, etc. Also redid the brakes and added a self adjuster kit and upgraded to tapered roller bearings. The Chevy also needs a master cylinder, but they are a lot more reasonably priced. The rear brakes likely need done, and I still have the self adjuster parts for the rears - that end shouldn't be too expensive.

The Chevy will need rewired, as it has no wiring. Needs the front windshield installed; I have a brand new one still in the bubble wrap. The other glass isn't perfect, but isn't broken as badly as the Buick window. I don't have much of an interior for this car, save the front and rear seats - which I guess is the most important part. The Chevy also has no exhaust, so that will need to be fixed as well.

So, my question after all this rambling, which would make more sense to put on the road first? I just want a driver; something to enjoy the nicer winter weather with and to keep me motivated to work on the other car. I was hoping to use the Buick for that, since it already has a semi-running engine, but the more I add up the other expenses I think the Chevy might be a better candidate, since the parts are much more common and less expensive, and at the moment my budget is tight.

I know this is an odd post, and I am sorry if it's OT, its just that HAMB advice has always proven to be quite valuable.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Buick, not only is it a Buick, but it's a 2 door. The master cylinder is an easy fix, and just go ahead an adapt a dual master while you're at it. I think there's pics somewhere on here of the way I adapted the one on my '57. Plus you can get some decent money for the tri-5 to put into the Buick.

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Here's the problem as I see it.

You have 2 hugely similar project cars in poor condition. But yet they're not close enough for interchange like sharing a parts car.

Not many guys in your situation come out of it successfully. Sorry, that's just how I've always seen it go down.

Either pare it down to one project, or if you must have 2, the end result needs to be cars that are far less similar. Fire dies on one, you move to the other. Back and forth. The way it is fire dies on one and you move to another just like it. Bad juju will be created. So I guess my advice is pick the one you really wanna see thru to the finish.

good luck either way

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  4. oj

oj

No brainer, do the Buick. There are a ton of 55 - 57 chevys out there that are perfect, the bar for doing one of these is so high i don't see how anybody can afford it. I am wrapping up a 56 Nomad now that has 150K in it and it is only above average. Do the Buick, nobody will walk up and tell you about a buddy of his that had one of these and it was really beautiful, and fast.

5. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Thanks for the input so far. I realize I have put myself in a bad situation having two similar cars, but I have this oddball goal of owning one car from each GM division in 1956. So if anyone has a Pontiac, Cadillac or Olds......j/k.

So far two votes for the Buick.

6. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Do the Buick first, it will be a much better car.

7. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I'd say sell one and fix the other. That decision should be your choice. As for the comment about tri-5s, most are 55s and 57s with few being 56s. I myself prefer a 4 door for the kids.

8. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

BUICK....hands down! Then again I'm a BOP fan anyway. As said, lots of Chevy's so many parts are available but, different is what "I" like; ultimately its up to you. I sold my 47 Poncho fastback to concentrate on the convertible. I wanted each body style from 48 but realized quickly I could not afford to build 2 (barely 1) so the 47 went to finance the ragtop.

48 Poncho

9. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Looks like the Buick is going to win. If it does, I'm not going to get rid of the Chevy, just mothball it for the time being. I'm going to pick up a cheap master cylinder from Autozone and see if I can adapt it to work in the Buick somehow. If I succeed, I'll post a tech article on it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  10. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I'd go with the Buick. The Chevy is cool, but a lot of them around. Good luck!

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sell the '56 Chevy...build the Buick.

Now, IF you want one of every '56, why settle for a lowly four door...sell the Chevy, it sounds like a lot of work and find one that isn't in as bad a shape, they're out there. Hold out for a two door or a hardtop, because they are ultimately worth more money...

R-

12. definitely the Buick. 2 doors are way cooler than fodos and the Buick is cooler than the dime a dozen Chevy's. Hell, I'd sell the Chevy to speed up the Buick progress!
    You asked and that's my 2 cents

13. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

agreed, definitley do the buick - sounds like your on a budget - i had too many projects myself and nothing was getting done - reduced to one (very hard decision to let go, but ultimately it was the right thing to do) and ive made more progress on the one this year than I had on anything in past two - the 4 door could fund a bit of the 2 door project then use the buick to scout for a better chebby - unless more doors is your thing I guess

14. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Buick, sell the Chevy to me:D

15. dannyego

dannyego

Buick all the way. With the amount of money your going to need to get that four door chevy going your better off starting with one thats in a little better shape. Trust me 56 chey parts are for sale everywhere but they are not cheap. The difference between a straight running four door 56 and a rusty non runing four door 56 is about $1500, and Im sure youll spend more money in parts for it than that. IMHO

16. belair

belair

I have a 56 Chevy 4 door ht and a 55 Buick 2dht. The Buick is by far a better car. You will always be able to get parts for the Chevy, the longer you wait on the Buick, the harder some parts may be to find. So-do the Buick first, and DO NOT try to do both at the same time. You will wind up with 2 half-finished cars you hate and love, and will not be driving either one.

17. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Looks like the Buick wins. I'm going to try and adapt an electric fuel pump tomorrow (another great HAMB suggestion) and if it works out, I'll post a vid of the car running.

Anyone got a master cylinder lying around for one of these? I'll even go to manual brakes just to be able to stop!

18. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Well, I got the car to start and run fine, but it turns out the tranny and rear end both crapped the bed. Think I may focus on getting the Bel Air on the road and then tear into the Buick.

19. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I choose the..... Buick.
    Either way, you have tons of work. I think it would be easier to finish the buick. I am in the same boat as you except both my cars are the same make and model. I want a driver real bad, and I flip flop working on both of them

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

sell em both and buy a desoto.

21. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Ironically, there is somebody not too far away that is selling a 57 DeSoto. Both cars will eventually be on the road, but being that the Buick needs a trans, a rear end, and brakes (and those brakes are EXPENSIVE) I'm gonna get the Chevy driveable first. SBCs and Chevy stuff is cheap compared to Buick stuff.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My thoughts exactly!

I had a '56 Buick Special 4-door, I really liked that car.

23. greenhell56

greenhell56
    from york ,pa

I have a 56 4 door and she is a driver but i had the brakes "fixed" for 500 thats all 4 and you can get rebuilt MC from CARS for 300
    they deal only in buick