Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for information on a particular wheel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lorodz, Mar 29, 2015.

1. lorodz

lorodz

I have a 46 ford rear end in my model A, I run "16 inch 46 ford steel wheels on the rear with a 7:50 x "16 tire, I want to know if their was a ford 18x5 steel wheel that was made or can be bought for the 46 ford rear. Did ford make them or is their an aftermarket company that sells them, I just need two of them thanks.I think the hollenbeck 32 ford roadster is running the "18 rim with a 700 series tire ...but havent found where to purchase them, thanks

2. Carter

Carter

Kelsey Hayes 18" high clearance wheels were offered, often called milk truck wheels. They have been reproduced in aluminum. Otherwise, I'm sure you could have someone make you a set. I think someone, Josh Shaw, maybe, did a tech on making them using 18" Ford wire wheel hoops and 40 Ford centers.

3. lorodz

lorodz

Their not the Divco style their like the passenger car style with the 4 slots in them?

4. Carter

Carter

5. I think what is he is asking is does anybody make a 18' rim that looks exactly like a 40 Ford stock steel rim? I would like to know as well

6. Carter

Carter

I think Josh mentions that he got prices of $300 plus each from one of the wheel manufacturers, Wheel Vintiques, maybe. So maybe they are available from them.

7. You mean like these on the Chemical City Coupe?

IMG_1299663607913852.jpeg 20130704_084132.jpg

I got the last set Wheel Vintiques made. It was an absolute battle to get them. They told me they will not build anymore period.

I have not found any other source for them either. I'd love another set.

LongT likes this.
  8. NickIndyZ

NickIndyZ

Well that's disappointing to hear since Jokerr Fab was supposed to order me a pair last year. Lol. Guess maybe I'll be rethinking my wheel combination... Dammit!

Their website still shows the 18" being made in a 5x4.5 lug pattern which luckily is what I need anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  9. lorodz

lorodz

Yeah daddyo just like them

10. Dave, Why was it a battle to get them made? Seems after they did yours it would be easy. They are professionals right? They look so right too!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  11. lorodz

lorodz

Coker sells 18 x 6 inch primed steel wheels $250 each plus shipping ..I think thats a little much for a steel wheel..

12. The line I got from W.V. was that they could not produce them within tolerance. It took them 4 tries to get me a set of two wheels, one of which has some run out. I literally had to make 20 phone calls and had to get downright nasty with them to get them to honor my order. They accepted my order, charged my credit card and told me two weeks. 6 weeks later, and with the Autorama deadline looming, they told me they would not produce my wheels. I had the 18" Coker tires already bought and the whole car was mocked up around that wheel and tire Combination. It was probably the most stressful times of the whole build. Oh, and I paid WAY more than $250 each for them...

The 18x6 wheel that Coker sells is a dual bolt pattern wheel I believe. That kind of ruins the look if you don't want to run a hub cap.

If there is another source, I'd love to know about it.

13. lorodz

lorodz

I know I feel the same way about coker id like 5 holes in the wheel not ten...

14. NORSON

NORSON

Saw an ad where someone was selling five bolt covers to cover the ten bolt wheel. Pictures looked good but it's kind of like fake white walls.

15. Thanks for the reply and explanation of events.